Wagyu/kobe beef brisket ??

Started by Ed1978, September 30, 2008, 11:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed1978

Has anyone tried smoking Wagyu/Kobe beef brisket yet? Just wondering if there's any difference on the smoking method with a regular USDA beef brisket.

I found this thread discussing smoked wagyu beef brisket. http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5396 It's very tempting to see all the pics :)

If anyone has experienced smoking a wagyu/kobe beef brisket, please share it.

I've eaten wagyu beef sirloin cut cooked in Japanese style and it was out of this world. The meat literally melts in your mouth, kinda like beef version of foie gras.

pensrock

I'm afraid I'd have to morgage the house to pay for the brisket.  ??? :D

Ed1978

Quote from: pensrock on September 30, 2008, 02:26:51 PM

LOL  :D They are expensive, but the brisket cut is actually cheaper than the sirloin/filet cut. 12-14 lbs brisket can be bought online for $60 plus $15 shipping. That's like 2-2.5 times the price of regular USDA brisket but no where as expensive as the Wagyu sirloin cut ($100+ per lbs).

I'm debating whether it's worth spending $75 for probably the best smoked brisket ever  :P

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Ed1978 on September 30, 2008, 03:34:20 PM

LOL  :D They are expensive, but the brisket cut is actually cheaper than the sirloin/filet cut. 12-14 lbs brisket can be bought online for $60 plus $15 shipping. That's like 2-2.5 times the price of regular USDA brisket but no where as expensive as the Wagyu sirloin cut ($100+ per lbs).

I'm debating whether it's worth spending $75 for probably the best smoked brisket ever  :P

Hmmmmm

Gots me thinkin......................1 packer briskit from sams. Open place in wine fridge for ageing...........then smoke  ;D

nepas

Wildcat

Quote from: Ed1978 on September 30, 2008, 03:34:20 PM
That's like 2-2.5 times the price of regular USDA brisket but no where as expensive as the Wagyu sirloin cut ($100+ per lbs).

:o I like good tasting and tender meat but I am afraid that $100+ per pound would leave a bad taste in my mouth.  :P
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

One of the cool things about the smoker to me is the abilty to take a tough cut of meat (pork shoulder, beef brisket) and transform it into something tender and delicious. The Wagu beef is already so tender that "low and slow" won't help much, IMHO.

If it were me, I would probably find a "Hot and fast" method. Maybe apply some cold smoke, then roast it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 30, 2008, 05:38:26 PM
One of the cool things about the smoker to me is the abilty to take a tough cut of meat (pork shoulder, beef brisket) and transform it into something tender and delicious. The Wagu beef is already so tender that "low and slow" won't help much, IMHO.

If it were me, I would probably find a "Hot and fast" method. Maybe apply some cold smoke, then roast it.

I'm with FL, low and slow might actually kill it...so to speak.  I've read some amazing things about these cows and would love to try some, but the cost is so prohibitive, when you've got plenty of good cuts at a price that is doable!

If you go for it Ed, I want a full report!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

West Coast Sausage Maker

Just ask your butcher for a real fatty brisket (lots of marbleing) and save the money.
I have supplied Wagu beef to many restaurants in Vancouver, Its ten times the price but only twice as good as AAA  or USDA Prime.
soylent green is people

Ed1978

I know that Wagyu beef is usually cooked medium rare, anything more would actually ruin the meat. But that's usually for sirloin, tenderloin, or other 1st grade cut. On the other hand, we all know brisket is a much tougher meat. The wagyu brisket is probably a lot more tender than the regular USDA brisket but it's still tougher than Wagyu sirloin cut. I was also thinking whether cooking Wagyu brisket low and slow to well done would ruin the meat, but from the pictures on the link that I posted above it doesn't look like meat is ruined. They still look very yummy  :D I do think it would take a lot quicker to cook the Wagyu brisket compared to the regular USDA brisket.

At $75 including shipping for 12-14 lbs brisket, it's not gonna break the bank. But I just thought of asking to see if anyone has the experience. I'm still debating whether I want to try it though. I'm afraid my cholesterol gonna be up to the roof after eating it  ;D I'll post something if I do ever try it though :)

Ed1978

Quote from: T B S on September 30, 2008, 07:19:12 PM
Just ask your butcher for a real fatty brisket (lots of marbleing) and save the money.
I have supplied Wagu beef to many restaurants in Vancouver, Its ten times the price but only twice as good as AAA  or USDA Prime.

What kind of Wagyu beef did you supply? I've tried the Wagyu sirloin cut before and it was way better than the best USDA Prime that I've ever tasted. It was so rich and tender and it almost melt in my mouth. I understand that there are many different grade for American Wagyu beef, from the 100% pure Japanese Wagyu breed to those that have been cross-bred with American domestic cow.

West Coast Sausage Maker

I was comparing brisket to brisket.  We sold the black Tajima breed of Wagyu. processed in Japan.  Whole untrimmed tenderloin (filet mignon) sold for 110$ lb.  Much more expensive than the Kobe style beef avalable in the USA.
Quote from: Ed1978 on September 30, 2008, 07:43:48 PM
Quote from: T B S on September 30, 2008, 07:19:12 PM

What kind of Wagyu beef did you supply? I've tried the Wagyu sirloin cut before and it was way better than the best USDA Prime that I've ever tasted. It was so rich and tender and it almost melt in my mouth. I understand that there are many different grade for American Wagyu beef, from the 100% pure Japanese Wagyu breed to those that have been cross-bred with American domestic cow.
soylent green is people

La Quinta

Ed...Ed...Ed...my man...this is wrong...no kobe beef in the smoker...repeat after me...(I'm swinging the teabag in front of your face) I have been forced to use this method before...trust me...I have only one failure in WTS (but that's a long story)...so anyway.........."NO KOBE BEEF IN SMOOOOKERRR"....(unless you're Donald Trump rich...and then I say...well try it!!!  ;D)

Gizmo

I am a bit more liberal with your money Ed that LQ is, so I would say go for it.  After reading the posts from the link you provided, the only true result would be to try it and post your results.  Now if you live close enough, I'll take a few slices myself please.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Ok Ed...I looked at the posts from the other forum...I still cannot change my opinion...Giz is a good guy...but me? I can't justify the cost versus flavor factor...I like those fatty cheaper cuts...all that collegen breakin down...nice and slow...god gave us po folk that meat to enjoy!!! I'm good with it...now, that being said,...do you ship?  ;D

westexasmoker

She likes mesquite!   ;D   ;D  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!