• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New owner and member with questions

Started by littlewheel, October 22, 2008, 09:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlewheel

I will receive my new OBS today and have some questions. I guess really one for now. How do I need to "season" my new smoker? Thanks in advance. Shannon Wheeler

beefmann

Wheel,

Welcome to the forum

You  will find a  lot  of usefull information here take  some  time and  have a look  around

now as to your  question as to seasoning your  smoker.. it is  quite  simple..

first finish  assembling the  smoker place the  smoker  generator on the  side and slide the bisquette tube  in the top of the  generator being  sure that  it is all the  way  in and  stright.. v tray in place with the poing of the v  pointing  downwards ..and fill the  water bowl 1/2 way full and place under the tongue of the smoke generator inside of the  smoker.. now add 6 bisquetts into the tube and plug the  unit in,
turn on the smoke generator and press the  bisquette advance multiple times untill a  bisquette is on the  end  oof the  tongue... close the  door and slide the  heat  controll all the way to the  left and open the  vent on the  top 1/2 to all the way  open... you  should get 1 1/2 to 2 hours of smoke that  will  season the  OBS...

and no you dont have to baby  sit the  unit just  come  back to it in an hour and  half  to two hours and turn off and unplug.. thn you  are  ready to  use..

once  you  receive the  unit it  will also give you  the  same  basic instructions on how to  season it

Enjoy

Beefmann

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum!

Heres ya a link that will fix ya up!  Beef beat me to it! Lots of good info and folks on this site!  Once again welcome aboard!

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=760&postcount=3

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly folks here who are always willing to help.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

Welcome.

You will want some heat when you are seasoning the smoker, so I'd advise having the slider switch in the center or further to the right, instead of full left which would leave the cabinet heater off.  The seasoning process burns off residual oils from the manufacturing process, and starts laying down a nice layer of smoke on the walls of the unit.

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Wecome aboard LW,
My learned friends have pointed you in the right direction.  Tons of information and lots of really good people around here to help you out.

KyNola

manxman

Manxman

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum littlewheel!

Have fun using your new smoker.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Littlewheel

Wecome to the forum. These guys pretty much have you question covered, I'll just add you should also check out the recipe site. Lots of good info and recipes there. Just click on the smoker in the bottom of my post.

Have fun

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

schneep

Welcome,

I am also fairly new, and these great people walked me through the entire process, from the purchase through the use of my OBS and I have been VERY happy with the results. ;D
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

littlewheel

Thank you EVERYONE! I just finished "seasoning" my new smoker. I will probably give it a first try Friday night. I can't tomorrow because I have to go check on my mother that is having a hernia removed, she also has MS. I will update my smoking results this weekend. I will probably wear you guys out with questions, but that is how you learn. I wouldn't be where I am in the drag racing world if I never asked questions. Thanks again, Shannon Wheeler

beefmann

wheeler,

we  were all like you at  one time .. new to  smoking and had  questions...

were here to help out one another and  from time to time we  all  have questions... come  and  enjoy ther  forum and comeradie that comes  from your extended  smoking  family.

as I am in the process of  doing 20 pounds of  pork loin the beefmann way in which pictures will be  posted once finished

littlewheel

I have been smoking meat for around 10 years now, just not on an electric smoker. I have a huge wood burning smoker. The problem is that it takes a lot of wood and attention. I wanted a set it and forget it smoker. The big smoker is just fine for 8 briskets, ribs, and a couple of chickens, but just a few steaks or a slab of ribs is not practical. I appreciate everyone's help.