Beer Can Chicken

Started by Learman12, October 24, 2008, 08:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learman12

Thinking about smoking a beer can chicken for a get-together this weekend. Looking for any advice on doing it on the BS.  Any hints?

La Quinta

Not really jetman...(ya know...the lear thing)...It's pretty straight forward...I like to do a rub....pretty good start in any smoker...And when I talk rub...I mean garlice...onion and oil!!! Salt and Pepper...nothing to complex...a nice smoked chicken is very kool!!! Have side dishes in mind while you have the smoker going?? Smoked pots...onions...?

Habanero Smoker

As LQ states; its pretty straight forward.

If you don't have a beer can holder (sometimes called a can cooker) be careful when moving the chicken to and from the smoker. Without the holder it can easily tip over. If you are not aware of this tip, wedge a small lemon into the neck cavity to help seal in the steam (evaporated water). I like to smoke/cook my at the highest temperature the smoker can get; applying 1:20 - 1:40 hours smoke.

If this is your first time smoking chicken in the Bradley, smoke with the vent 3/4 - fully opened. If you want to crisp up the skin; you can finish in an oven or over the grill.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

never had beer can  chicken with beer, my only  concern is the ink and other  contaminates that  are on the  can, I  have  used orange soda and  root beer,, goos  luck  with it anyway

westexasmoker

Quote from: beefmann on October 25, 2008, 07:49:35 AM
never had beer can  chicken with beer, my only  concern is the ink and other  contaminates that  are on the  can, I  have  used orange soda and  root beer,, goos  luck  with it anyway

Beef, you don't know what your missing.....beer can chicken is the bomb!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: westexasmoker on October 25, 2008, 01:01:16 PM

C

Yeah what he said!!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 25, 2008, 01:40:25 PM
Quote from: westexasmoker on October 25, 2008, 01:01:16 PM

C

Yeah what he said!!!!

Yeah what they said!!!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

DrtiBird

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 25, 2008, 02:26:17 AM
As LQ states; its pretty straight forward.

If you don't have a beer can holder (sometimes called a can cooker) be careful when moving the chicken to and from the smoker. Without the holder it can easily tip over. If you are not aware of this tip, wedge a small lemon into the neck cavity to help seal in the steam (evaporated water). I like to smoke/cook my at the highest temperature the smoker can get; applying 1:20 - 1:40 hours smoke.

If this is your first time smoking chicken in the Bradley, smoke with the vent 3/4 - fully opened. If you want to crisp up the skin; you can finish in an oven or over the grill.
Hi All.  New here.
I found the beer can holder at Lowes and WalMart for less that $5.
I place mine in a pan or large dish and put quartered potatoes and onions in the pan with a little water; salt/pepper to taste.  I use about half can of beer and throw a couple of garlic cloves in it.  Use poultry seasoning for the rub.  Before trying the beer can chicken I didn't even like baked chicken
Ron/DrtiBird
Gainesville, GA

beefmann

sounds good...gonna  have to try it

Habanero Smoker

DrtiBird;

For a change use can fruit juice or can soda. I rarely use beer anymore. Most of the time I will buy cans of Goya juices and use them. My favorites to use in mango or coconut. One of these days I will blend the two.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Wildcat

Mango sounds interesting.  Have you tried Guava?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Wildcat on October 27, 2008, 05:55:27 PM
Mango sounds interesting.  Have you tried Guava?

Not yet, but Guava does sound interesting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DrtiBird

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 27, 2008, 01:59:57 PM
DrtiBird;

For a change use can fruit juice or can soda. I rarely use beer anymore. Most of the time I will buy cans of Goya juices and use them. My favorites to use in mango or coconut. One of these days I will blend the two.

I will try something else next, I was using up some beer I had left for over a year (Miller Lt cans) and it worked good.  Tried some wine but didn't like it as well.  May try Coke next although the SO may pitch a fit over "Wasting" her cokes!!  8)
Ron/DrtiBird
Gainesville, GA

Smokin Soon

This stuff is great mixed with oj for a marinade, rub or in the beercan mixed with oj and some spices of choice. I keep some mixed in the fridge with minced garlic and a dash of olive oil. There is also a no-salt ver.

bullsi1911

I'll be doing my first beercan chicken in the smoker tonight.   Let me get this straight:

Rub chicken.
Put on beercan stand (I have an all stainless one that does not use the can) with beer and seasonings in beer
Plug neck hole with Lemon or lime wedge
Stand it in a heatproof dish with some veggies to catch the goodness
Smoke for 1.5-2 Hrs or until 'done'

Any suggestions on technique, spices, or tricks to try?  What temp should I use?