Big Easy - Test 1 & 2 & more

Started by deb415611, October 25, 2008, 03:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Finally got the Big Easy out of the box & assembled it.  Seasoned it and then decided I needed to cook something in it.

Went to the store & decided test one should be Roast Beef.  Looked in he case,  prime rib looked good, tenderloin roast looked good but decided I better try something a little cheaper for round 1.  Settled on a top round roast.  Brought it home,  rubbed it with cracked black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, ground celery seed, granulated onion, granulated garlic & a little oil.  Let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours.  Weather forecast was rain for the afternoon/night and it wasn't looking promising so I decided if I was going to do it I needed to start really soon.  Roast only sat out for about 15 minutes before going in. 

Pic of roast ready to go in:

decided to try to rig something up so I could throw a couple potatoes in - sacrificed a couple skewers & a 8 inch pizza screen - this is a work in progress:

Put in the fryer - It took about 1 hour & 40 minutes - at least a half hour of that it was raining (light not pouring) & windy - outside temp was about 60.   Took it to 130

Out of fryer:

Sliced:

Test one was a success!  ;D   A little time in the OBS would have made it even better.  Will make sure the timing works next time.

Next up is a huge roaster chicken - time permitting will  be tomorrow. 

Deb

Mr Walleye

Deb... the roast looks mighty fine!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Holy "COW" that looks awesome Deb...well done!!!  :o

deb415611

whoops!  I ended up with the same pic twice.  I'll try again:

Out of the fryer:

beefmann

westexasmoker

Fab...Fab..Fab...great Deb.....Ok must have one!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

Deb, that looks fantastic! You have made my cooking plans for the weekend. I have not yet done any beef in mine yet, but that is beautiful! I'm going to try a 1 and a half hour smoke with the devil's wood and into the Big Easy. I gotta poke it with some sliced garlic chunks close to the outside so they will get some smoke too. Nice job on the top pizza tray, how did you support it? Can't tell from the pics. Don't forget to try some smoked wings, they are award winners. The basket fits so nice in the smoker with racks removed will give you a lot of options. Glad you like your new toy!

Habanero Smoker

Deb;

The roast looks great. I haven't had much time to use mine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Smokin Soon,

I supported the rack with two skewers that I bent at the ends.  Two going in the same direction is not enough - I took one potato off and the rack tilted & the other two potatoes ended down in the bottom with the roast.  I think that I need to have skewers going in two directions.  I'm also going to try to thread the skewers through the screen.

Deb

LilSmoker

My goodness Deb that looks lovely! I was just imagining a slice pasted with some horseradish, and it's having the most profound effect on me...........Like major drooling!

LilSmoker.........
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

HCT

Ya know Deb, that was alot of beef not to be shared with this fella up north. :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

HCT,

Leftovers in the fridge.   At least I think there are,  the whoopie pies I made last night seem to have disappeared.   The only place they can be is in my son's room ???  I made a double batch - there better be some left

Deb

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

Did you cook with the cover on or off?

deb415611