• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tasso

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 11, 2008, 04:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Spent the majority of the day doing blood work so when i got home i said SELF how bout some tasso.

Pork loin before seasoning.

Seasoning the loins.

Heavy seasoning then into the fridge for 3 days wrapped tight. Going to get hickory after getting out of fridge.

nepas

beefmann

looks good nepas,

though im making  tri tip

carnie1

Isn't that funny, I have some "1st try at Tasso" as per Bradley recipe from the database is as I type. But I didn't rinse after taking out of the cure as the recipe didn't say to, ya think it will be OK? In fact I gotta run out and check on it now.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: carnie1 on November 11, 2008, 05:45:04 PM
Isn't that funny, I have some "1st try at Tasso" as per Bradley recipe from the database is as I type. But I didn't rinse after taking out of the cure as the recipe didn't say to, ya think it will be OK? In fact I gotta run out and check on it now.

It should be fine. I am doing mine the old fashion way.

3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
2 Tsp Cayenne or To Taste
4 Tbsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp White Pepper
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar

nepas

carnie1

I plan to try your recipe too

KyNola

I have used NePa's tasso recipe before and it is awesome!  NePa knows tasso.  I used pork butt rather than pork loin and it turned out incredible.

NePa, thanks again for the recipe.  I have some Louisiana transplants who live around me who will stand in line outside the door when I've got tasso in the smoker thanks to you!

KyNola

Smokin Soon

Nepa, I used rhe  tasso recipe from the websight, and it was good. I uses a cure. Whats the differance in flavor without it?

NePaSmoKer

Thanks KyNola

I really like sharing my recipes and photos with everyone. I should have the tasso in the smoker on fri or sat.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smokin Soon on November 12, 2008, 07:08:03 PM
Nepa, I used rhe  tasso recipe from the websight, and it was good. I uses a cure. Whats the differance in flavor without it?

Really no difference in the flavor. The cure is needed for the 3 days in the fridge and it kinda dries the tasso out. I rub the season real hard into the pork and put a coating ofaround 1/8" thick.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Tasso is out of the fridge today after being in for 3 days. On wire rack now for 2 hours to dry some. Going to do hickory 9 pucks @150*. Then bumping heat to 180* for 6 hours.

Am loking for 150* for IT of tasso.

(Was going to use mesquite but changed mind  :o)

nepas

sherlock

I have never experienced tasso. I have heard that it is primarily used as a seasoning. Is that correct?
Nathan

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: sherlock on November 14, 2008, 08:49:30 AM
I have never experienced tasso. I have heard that it is primarily used as a seasoning. Is that correct?
Nathan

Yes somewhat true. I like it on crusty rolls too  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Here is the tasso all wired up  ;D

No water in the pan, I want it dry.

I drilled my pucks some time ago to make them lighter.

Here is the raptor/guru working on the tasso. I am using more pucks than i normally do. Had to move my BS under the spa gazebo cuz i have some electric issues in the garage. Mild day for smoking too  ;D

nepas

westexasmoker

Lordy, Lordy Nepas I can't wait to see the final product!  Looks incredible!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

NePaSmoKer

Finally the tasso is done. I will cut it some when it cools.

nepas