Salmon - too much time in brine question

Started by weekendsmoker, November 13, 2008, 07:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

I was planning on smoking some salmon tonight but now I will not be able to do it until tomorrow night.  That means the brine will have been on for 48 hrs.  Should I wash the brine off tonight and let it sit or will it be ok marinating for another 24hrs?

Thanks

One is in a soya mixture, one in brn sgr and salt brine, and one in honey.

Appreciate the feedback.

Jason.

Tenpoint5

Sounds like a good time to get a pellicle formed on the outside if you pull it out of the brine and fridge dry it over night. I just did Venison Canadian Bacon that was supposed to cure for 2 days but work schedule made it 4. It turned out PDG. So you can try leaving it in the brine. PERSONALLY I don't think it should hurt anything leaving it in the brine.

I'm sure there will be better suggestions coming along
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

I agree with 10.5

You need to rinse it and dry it.
Then put it onto a rack in the fridge to allow to air dry till it is tacky to the touch.
Last time I made it I let it air dry in the fridge for two days. Came out great.
I do not think an extra day in the brine would hurt but you still need to do the other steps before smoking.

Good luck,
pens

KyNola

10.5 and Pens have you hooked up.  Take it out of the brine, put it on racks in the frig and let it dry until you're ready to smoke.  Great opportunity for a good pellicle forming.  I can't emphasize enough the importance of letting the salmon dry.  Makes a big difference in the final product.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

Definitely take it out of the brine tonight, and follow the others advise.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bushman

Take it out , unless you want the flavor of the spices in the brine to be stronger. I have left salmon waaay longer as a test and it just made a stronger spice taste. It overwelmed the fish taste.