Packaging Cheese

Started by Smoking Duck, November 20, 2008, 04:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

I was gnawing on some smoked provolone this evening and contemplating Christmas.  I'd like to give some smoked cheese for Christmas and would like to seal it in the vaccum sealer.  Has anyone tried to use the sealer with a presentation tray?  I'd be afraid that the sealer would crush the presentation tray but maybe someone else has had success with it.

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

Can't help you there SD.  Never used presentation trays.  Would think that the tray would stay straight unless the cheese were so tall it would cause the sides to fold up around the edges.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

I did a few of these with sliced sausage and cheese. I use rolls of vac rather then bags. If you are using rolls, then just leave a 8 inch or so lead in the top
and will not crunch anything. I use a Foodsaver, if you have a commercial model it will crunch anything!

La Quinta

Did Giggles say smoked cheese as a gift????? Let me give ya my address???  ;D  :D  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Around this time of year I do what you are going to do. Slice various smoked cheeses and Canadian Bacon; vacuum seal it with my food saver and give them as gifts. Note if you are packaging Canadian bacon with the cheese you have to wrap the bacon tightly with a good quality stretchable plastic wrap, and heat shrink it with a hair dryer. If you don't take that step, juices from the bacon will be pulled out and ruin the cheese.

I use those laminated cardboard inserts the commercial processors use in packaging smoked salmon. For the life of me I can't recall what they are called. I don't have the time right now, but a member had arranged for this company to offer those cards to members on this forum. The company's name and contact information is on this forum - this was posted last year around this time. If someone can reply with the name of these cards, then it should be easy to find doing a search. You could practically have them custom made for your, and the cost was reasonable, and they will work with you on the quantity. I believe I ordered about 100 cards.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

If you are interested here is the thread on the laminated cardboard inserts.

Smoked Food Mounting Boards

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smoking Duck

Thanks all.  Wasn't sure anyone had tried to do this before, but, in my stupidity, I should have realized I'm always behind the 8 ball.  I just figured with times tough, I could still stay in the Christmas (and yes, I said Christmas and not Holiday) spirit and give items to loved ones.  And yes, Q.......that certainly includes you ;) :-*

Thanks for taking the time to look up the link, Habs.  I was going to include some CB, so that tip also comes in very handy.

As always, you guys are better than Google!

SD

manxman

If anyone knows of a supplier on this of the pond I would be grateful, been trying to find them on Google for a while now without success!

LS......... got any suggestions?  :)
Manxman

LilSmoker

Quote from: manxman on November 21, 2008, 07:09:27 AM
If anyone knows of a supplier on this of the pond I would be grateful, been trying to find them on Google for a while now without success!

LS......... got any suggestions?  :)

Hi Manx, yes i use the boards, i get them here, only problem is they are sold by the 1000  :-\ :

http://www.scobiesdirect.com/PouchBoard.asp

I think they'll sell you some in a smaller quantity if you phone them?

Last time i bought some three of us split a box, but it's surprising how quickly i get through them, anyway if you didn't want such a big quantity, and they won't sell less than a thousand, i could get some over to you? don't know how many i've got left, but i could soon find out.

Mine are the gold/silver ones, and i think they're the 135 x 200 size?

Good value imo, and the service from Scobies has always been very good  ;)

Cheers........Steve

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

manxman

QuoteHi Manx, yes i use the boards, i get them here,

That's great, thanks Steve. I will look into buying them direct from Scobies and get back to you if there is a problem, thanks for the kind offer of sending some to the IOM.  :)

cheers, Paul
Manxman

manxman

QuoteGood value imo, and the service from Scobies has always been very good 

Hi LS,

I have placed an order with Scobies for 1000 gold/silver 170 X 240mm size, should fit the vacuum bags I use which are usually the 200 x 300 size and also be long enough for the back bacon rashers I produce which are 220 mm long!

Given that they will also be useful for cheese, scallops, salmon and meats as well I reckon 1000 will last me 2 - 3 years and at about 5 pence each the price is OK.

Thanks for your help, if you would like a few of that size let me know and I will send you some.  :)

Manxman

Smoking Duck

You spent 5000 pence on these?  You must be a very, very rich man!

pensrock

I emailed the guy habs had a link to. He said in quantities less than 1000 they are .20 each plus shipping. Shipping depends on the quanity ordered. I asked about the 6"x10" size.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pensrock on November 23, 2008, 02:21:25 PM
I emailed the guy habs had a link to. He said in quantities less than 1000 they are .20 each plus shipping. Shipping depends on the quanity ordered. I asked about the 6"x10" size.

Pens;

He will try to cut them to the size you want, and you can further cut the cards yourself; it won't harm the card. I thought I bought 100, but after checking my post it was only fifty. You won't believe how heavy a stack of 50 can be.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

LilSmoker

Hey Manx, i'm glad you've got sorted, i think next time i'll get the bigger ones, as you say that size would be better suited to bacon. It's a shame they don't do an assortment pack, but i suppose larger ones can be cut easily enough.

I find the smaller size great for a single trout, portions of sliced pastrami etc.

Also thanks for the offer, but atm i still have a fair few left  ;)

Cheers...........LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes