Join me in smoking cheese!

Started by Smoking Duck, November 28, 2008, 01:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Went to the Amish Farmers Market today.  Who knew the Amish would have their own Black Friday deals?  :o ;D Half off of cheese.  So, we went wild.  The list of cheeses from R to L, Top to Bottom:

Garden Onion, Habanero Cheddar, Amish Bacon (2), Havarti with Dill, Horseradish

Vintage Garlic, Farmers, New York Sharp Cheddar White, Vintage Garlic, Amish Milk Can Cheddar

Pizza Supreme, New York Sharp Cheddar Yellow, Pepperjack, Roasted Garlic

Gonna smoke with 12 heads of garlic, then mince the garlic, store in jars with EVOO and keep in the frig for quick use!

Will post more as the smoke starts tonight!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

Lookin good Duck! If the words garlic and cheese show up in one sentance, I'm all over that. I am glad the Amish markets are still around after all these years. I remember some very good bread also.

Smoking Duck

You betcha......and the cinnamon rolls are outta this world!  Those Amish may not know a thing about electricity, but they sure know their way around a kitchen!  Sweet Aunt Jemima can they make some good stuff!

SD

Smoking Duck

6:22 pm Ambient temp: 38F  (Cheese has been in for about 1/2 hour and tower temp at a cool 51F):

Cheese in smoker with garlic (lightly covered in EVOO so as to soak up the smoke):

Ice in the puck bowl.  Note to anyone who hasn't done a cold smoke who uses a brick to act as a heat sink:  Remove the brick so as to keep it as cool as possible in the smoker.  First pecan bisquette on the burner and rolling with the smoke:

FLBentRider

Looks good SD!

Still too warm here... 61F right now, high was 80.3F
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

About halfway through the smoke, ambient temp still at 38F.  Smoker temp has never been above 73F.  The smoke is rolling but not much change in appearance.  I never really get the cheese very dark for some reason but the main thing is the flavor which permeates throughout.  The first time I did cheese I was disappointed that my cheese didn't get the real dark skin that you see in the stores but figured that must be the difference between conventional smoking and Bradley.  Regardless, the taste is awesome.  Here's the update pics:

Smokin Soon

Thats it Duck, I'm might have to look up my old friends in Mishawaka and do a stealth cheese assault on ya!!   ::)

Smoking Duck

Heck, SS, you ain't gotta be stealth....just come on out.  Besides, you'd have a time getting past the dogs without being noticed and even if you did, my children are all trained on handguns, shotguns and assalt rifles.  If that fails, I send my wife out without makeup  :o ;)  Where you from anyways?

Man, if she ever reads this, I'm a frigging goner  8) :o

Mr Walleye

Nice spread of cheese SD!  :o

I can't wait for my package to arrive.  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

You betcha Mike.  It should show about the time I get the walleye fillets I keep asking for  ;) ;D

I sent some last batch but I bet the customs agents never let them get past.  Next time I'm gonna mark the packages as Enzyte and see if they get through  :o ;D

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smoking Duck on November 28, 2008, 06:43:51 PM
You betcha Mike.  It should show about the time I get the walleye fillets I keep asking for  ;) ;D

I sent some last batch but I bet the customs agents never let them get past.  Next time I'm gonna mark the packages as Enzyte and see if they get through  :o ;D

Ya mean ya didn't get that truck load of walleye I send you?  ???  ???

:D  :D  :D  ;D  ;D

Mike

Smoking Duck

OK, here's the finished product.  All smoked with pecan.  Temp never got above 74F at any time during the smoke.  Cheese is definitely darker although hard to tell from the pics.  Garlic is definitely darker as well.  Cheese going into vac seal and then rest for a bit (will try to hold out for 10 days but can't promise anything) in the refer.  Garlic will rest in refer overnight, then mince tomorrow for its final trip into a jar with olive oil for use in the coming days.

Mr Walleye

Very Nice SD!...  :P  :P  :P   "Very" Nice!  8)

Mike

Smokin Soon

I tryed to do a "scratch & sniff" on my monitor and screwed it all up! Thanks a lot   :o

La Quinta

WOW...I am humbled by the spread...as most of it should get..... SHIPPED WEST!!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Looks killer Giggles...really...I am truly jealous...gonna go again to 80 here again... temps are gettin old...

But man that cheese makes me think of cold...again...looks awesome...will taste even better!!! Give it it's time....

Well Done My Friend...

T.