• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First smoke with Bradley

Started by Stargazer, December 12, 2008, 03:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

It's got alittle longer to go, will post finished when its done. But here is what I got so far.

Started with pork loin. Weighed at 10.57lbs. Letting it get room temp.

Injected with Mott's apple juice and poured alittle on top. Started with fat side down so end would be fat side up and pop in smoker this way when ready.

Father wanted me to use the seasoning for rub this time around. Will use the rub I got from Y&P on some ribs soon. Rub is made with dark brown sugar and white cane sugar. Spices used are chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, dash of nutmeg and crushed mustard.

All rubbed down and let sit.

Just pre-heated the Bradley. Wow, no such thing as preheating the old bullet smoker, this is really nice. My father is holding the door open then went to take a nap. Got my Maverick set up with this.

Another close up showing bottom loin just put in and apple juice in water pan.

Close up of Maverick I got from Yard and Pool out side doing her job. Love this thing. :)

Sitting inside where its nice and warm while Marie smokes away and takings some of the chill off being it's starting to snow out side and really cold.

Maverick is on the money. My bullet smoker didn't get along to well with it, but doing great with the Bradley.

Will post finished pictures when its done.

And thanks to everyone here for your help, and to Yard and Pool. Everything I am using I bought from Y&P including the Bubba pucks and wood pucks. Well... not the Turkey.

Called Y&P today to thank them again, and got the ok to put their url on my nick. Just want to help spread the good word about a great business :)
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

Smokin Soon

Stargazer, ya might wanna have that meat probe on the meat closest to the heat source. Also a good idea to rorate racks during the cook. Looks like some good lookin loin. Turkey looks good too!  :D

Stargazer

Hey, thanks for telling me that one. I never really thought of that  ???

Do you think it would be to late to do this now? Its been in for awhile.

I just kept it up high on my bullet because that sucker always caught a small fire  :-\

Thanks for letting me know. This is how us newbies learn :P

Stargazer

Just rotated and did all that. Wanna make my first smoke with this best I can. Thank you again SS :)

KyNola

Hey Star,
Looking at your pics, I think your V-tray is installed upside down.  The center of tray should be pointed downward towards the bowl.  It appears yours is pointed upward.  You really want to correct that as it can cause the drippings to run down the back edge of the V-tray on to the heating source and you sure don't want that.

If it is pointed downward, disregard this last transmission.

KyNola

Stargazer

No, its pointed upwards.

I just put it in that way because the owners manule didn't say which way, but the drawing of the picture in it 'sort of' looks like its pointing up lol

Thanks for letting me know, going to change this right away.

Smoking Duck

Join the club, Star.  You ain't the first one to put that in upside down and you won't be the last.  Hope all is going well!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Stargazer

Here it is... I've never been more happy with these results...

It's now foiled for tomorrow nights dinner. But had to slice into one to see for myself and show everyone. I couldn't believe how juicy and moist this is. My bullet never came close to anything like this.

I'll explain what I have done, if anyone sees where I can improve because I am all ears.

Kept the heat at around 177-180° . Rotated racks once. Took about 6 hours to smoke. And pulled when 145° internal temp of meat. Had dial for heat on main meat chamber med/hi to almost high. Not all the way high, and damper only 1/3 open. Had it opened more in an earlier photo but I closed it alittle more to trap in heat and smoke. I know not to close it all the way though.

Seems it was alittle longer then I thought, but its really super cold and windy out right now. This isn't a problem with me, I am just curious if this is common for a pork loin when its this cold out side.

However this brings up another point I want to share, At times when I would go out side, I would place my hand on the side and top of my Bradley and was real cold, I know it was hot inside, just wanted to say how overly impressed I am how well this beauty is insulated :D My old bullet would get almost as hot outside as it would inside. I never opened the door because I knew this would let heat out, but I trusted my Maverick and also could feel the heat from the opening of the damper.

And again, thanks to all for helping me by pointing out some things such as changing the area of the probes, rotating racks and the V drip tray. I owe ya'll one :)

La Quinta

Looks fab Star...really good...well done...and you put the knife in the picture...!!!  ;D

Smokin Soon

Gazer, Ya done good! How could you resist tearing into that loin!! Congrats!!  :D
Don't forget those same loins will make you the best Canadian Bacon you have ever had!

Stargazer

Thanks again immensly for yalls help though.

To be honest, before I came to this forum I only oven roasted pork loin. Never even thought of smoking them. Now I only smoke pork loin. But smoking it with my Bradley is literally breath taking. Almost makes me paranoid thinking the police and swat team will come get me because this has got to be illegal.

Question though, should I increase the heat? Also, when the smoke is done, should I turn off the smoke generator? I just left it on the whole time, but when I would go outside I could hear the arm inside the generator clicking trying to push a bubba puck thru every 20 minutes. Will this hurt the Bradley?

I know, I'm asking alot of futile questions, I just love this Bradley to death and only want the best for it is all.

And again, thanks greatly for yalls help :)

Smokin Soon

Yes, I think Marie would be happier if you shut of her smoke generator after the smoking is done. However, in the the extreme cold you are dealing with the added heat was probably needed. If you end up with a PID, the Bradley will adjust for the heat after the smoke generator is shut down. You can still monitor cab temp with your et-73 and adjust as needed.

Stargazer

I will say, she is very well insulated though. And the thermometer on the front door was about dead on with the Mavericks reading. The Mav just made it so much nicer as so I could stay in.

Most likely I'll be getting a PID in awhile. Brian from Y&P sent me all the cables and connectors I need I believe for one. He didn't have to do this, but just one more reason why I'll always buy all my smoke and grilling needs from him.

I am still in alot of shock though. I knew Bradley was a great smoker, but this tonight is flat out incredable. My jaw is still hitting the floor how this came out so nice yet so much easier then before with my old smoker.

I managed to foil and save for tomorrow night, but I couldn't resist a slice. The smoke flavor, not over powering and harsh, just nice and... how can I say...? cleaner tasting if thats the right way to say it. None of that guncky taste when I use to use bags of chunks or chips with the old smoker.

Only way I'll stop using my Bradley is when they pry it away from my cold dead fingers  ;D

Thanks again for your help SS :)

Smoking Duck

Congrats, Stargazer!  Well done!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611