A few questions as I wait for the BS to arrive.

Started by Brisket Lover, December 14, 2008, 08:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Hi BL and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to a play by play for building one.

http://susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=504#post504

If that's not your thing here is a link to a plug n play model. It's tha same company that handles the parts to build one as well. Great to deal with too.

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=da0c90fb3e2b6d3f324d356798d9916b

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Brisket Lover

Quote from: deb415611 on December 15, 2008, 09:19:43 AM
Brisket_lover

I had an email from foodsaver today  foodsaver.com  25% off & free shipping using code X8FEAAA.   I won't be using it, not sure if it's good for more than one use or not.  You might want to start looking there.  It's good for orders until Dec 18 12pm est

I use my foodsaver all the time. 

Deb

Thank you for the code.  It worked yesterday and I decided at the last minute to wait until I heard back from a person selling it locally.  Of course today when I tried to use it, it said invalid.  Im guessing someone else may have used it and it was a one time use only code.  I guess that is what I get for waiting hehe.  I'll just keep looking for another code, because that certainly made it a great price on the V3840.

edit:  Turns out it was a 1 day only sale.  Darn I missed it but I hope they do it again.  I can wait it out.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E   to the Forum brisket_lover!

I love my vac sealer..
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brisket Lover

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 19, 2008, 03:08:41 AM
W E L C O M E   to the Forum brisket_lover!

I love my vac sealer..

Thanks!  I'm still looking for one, but the good news is my BS arrived last night.  Now just waiting on the wood pucks and I will season it up then make some brisket!

Smoking Duck

Cool, and don't be afraid to post pics......we love pics here!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brisket Lover

I'm still waiting, hopefully they show up today or tomorrow.  I went out looking for a brisket, but only Wal-Mart had them.  They were in the cryovac packaging though.  The only two issues I saw with it is that the fat looked more yellow then white.  Could be the packaging.  Also it was a product of Mexico and Canada not USA. It was Choice, and $15 or so.  Anyone use this to smoke before?

We don't have much of a selection down her in Southern MD, and even to find a butcher within an hour is tough.  I have one more grocery store to look at tonight after work.

Caneyscud

Sam's usually has them in a couple of different ways.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

You may have to talk with the meat manager at your local grocery store, they can usually order anything you want that they don't stock. It pays to (get to) know one, pretty soon you will be looking for things like pork bellies, turkey legs....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brisket Lover

Yea, I found one.  It was 7lb, choice,  and $3.99 a lb but I needed something to do my first smoke with.  Now just waiting on the wood to arrive!

IKnowWood

BL, where in Southern MD are you.  Nicks of Clinton off of Rt5 in Waldorf always has excellent Meat. He is a full Butcher and market and always seems to have great prices and quality meats.  If you want a little more up-scale like Prime, there is the Butcher Block in Annapolis that is excellent, pricey but quality product.  I always get my ribs and flank steaks from them, as well as NY Strips. 

If you want more pucks, I know of some in Waldorf that are sitting.

- Johnny
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Brisket Lover

Thanks,  I live in Great Mills and will have to call Nick's and see if they have it before I make the drive up there.  As for the pucks, they arrived in Waldorf at 4 am so I should have them today. 

I'm working on my game plan now on how to smoke my first brisket.  Ive been reading non stop for a few days. 

Do minimal trimming but get to 1/4 inch of fat on the top.

Put the rub on and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours.

Season the smoker for 1-2 hours.

Pull the meat out of the fridge to get to room temperature, but keep an eye on the dogs.

I'm going to do a 4-5 hour smoke with either hickory or pecan.  Leave the vent 1/3-5/8 open.

What rack should I put it on since it will be the only thing in there?

Then move to the oven in a baking pan with apple juice covered in foil to bring it to temp.  I was figuring right around 210 to do in the oven.

FTC for 4 hours or so.

Trim up any leftover fat and slice against the grain, and only what I will be eating that day. 

Refrigerate the leftovers and eat again.

IKnowWood

Sounds like a good plan.  If I only have one rack of stuff.  I would put it on the second from the lowest.

Did you get a temp controller or Maverick to control temps.  Since you are just smoking it in the bradley and finish in the oven its not as important, you will need to keep on eye on the smoker temp however.

As for Nick's, they may need a day in advance.  The Butcher block told me they needed at least one or two this time of year for larger amounts or big cuts.  In the late Spring and Summer its flowing better.

When bringing the meat up to temp, don't leave it out to long.  I normally pre-heat the smoker for an hour and during that time I put the meat out.

Have fun!
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Brisket Lover

I did get a maverick and should be here tomorrow. Hopefully before I smoke. It was also in Waldorf but that was at 630 this morning so maybe to late to be here today.

Thanks for the help.

Brisket Lover

Sitting on my porch when I got home were the wood pucks and the Maverick ET-73.  I think I may try and season tonight, but its already cold and 31 degrees outside.  Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer.