A few questions as I wait for the BS to arrive.

Started by Brisket Lover, December 14, 2008, 08:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

QuoteNo smoke for the preheat but "do" turn the generator on to warm the burner up. As far as the temp probe wires go I always run them through the door. It's easier to do rack rotations then.

Mike
I do the same as Mike does.

As far as where to set the slider I cannot say because I have a digital unit with a PID control. But it will take some time for the heat to recover after putting the meat in and having the door opened. I would say you are doing fine.

Brisket Lover

Well the smoking is finished and it is in the oven set at 220.  The smoker never really recovered it got up to 202. Outside temp actually got warmer and is at 59 right now.  It was below 30 yesterday so I got lucky on that one. Brisket is now sitting at 143. Hopefully I have good probe placement.  I filled the tub halfway up with apple juice.  It didn't get as black as I was hoping so maybe that takes more of a long smoke.  I'm going to try and FTC it at around 187-190.  I have my wireless set to alarm me so I should wake up if it happens over night.  The plateau still has to happen so that should help me get some sleep.

Here are some pictures

I added more water after the preheat but it was dry after 4 1/2 hours. I should check the water every 4 hours or so.

Brisket Lover

I was just reading something where they say meat shouldn't be between 40 and 140 degrees for more than 4 hours.  Am I in trouble or should this be fine?  Seems like it would be awfully hard to get it up to temp that fast.

Here is where I was reading http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7548  and it was under the "So should I put the brisket in cold or room temperature?" section.

Habanero Smoker

I've never read the 4 hour limit, most FDA recommendations state 2 hours, but maybe the two hours is on the consumer end, and the other 2 hours is on the processors and transportation end. The time is calculated for room temperature (68°F), and as the room temperature increases the time you can leave the meat unrefrigerated decreases. For solid muscle meat, it pertains to the surface temperature where the bacteria is located and multiply, not the internal temperature.

Once the meat is in the smoker, and smoke is being applied, that provides additional protection. Smoke is an antimicrobial. Also any salt that you may have in the rub that you applied to the surface of the meat also provides some additional protection. Though the internal temperature may be only 100°F or so, the surface is much hotter.

This does not mean not to take precautions, or follow standard food safety. For what you are doing, and the times I have seen you post you are alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Brisket Lover

Thanks, and I have some bad news.  The high temp alarm never went off.  I woke up this morning to a temp of 212 in the brisket.  I'm hoping it will be edible still.

I did ftc it but I'm wondering if that's going to make it worse since it is such a high temp.

westexasmoker

bl,

I bet your gonna be fine, its almost impossible to overcook a brisket!  It might be falling apart and hard to slice but still some good stuff!  Let us know!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Brisket Lover

I would say you won't believe this but I'm sure ya'll have seen or at least reas it all.

It is juicy, easy to slice, and very tasty.  It is a bit dry but not overly. Strange that it can feel wet but taste just a little dry.

It is so good though and better than a lot of the restaurant briskets I've had.

Ill post some ending pictures once I get on my pc. I'm on my phone now.

Thank you all for the help and getting me thru my first smoke. 

Smoking Duck

Congrats on the first one.  The thing I love about smoking is continually trying to get the next one better.  The funny thing is that even the worst smokes have been great!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Most excellent BL!

My hats off to ya, going with brisket on your first smoke!  Gotta see those final pics!

C

Brisket Lover

Well here are the final pictures.  I had a few slices for breakfast and then we had chopped beef sandwiches for lunch.  We still have a honey baked ham from yesterday to eat also, but brisket is better.

Out of the oven after I woke up and ran down stairs.

Still able to be sliced but a bit thick.  This is after 30 mins in FTC, then I decided to move the FT to the fridge to bring it back down from 212 degrees. So 3 hours in FTF

Just a top view.

westexasmoker

Brisket Lover

Well I have a sandwich bag worth of chopped beef left and that is it.  We ate it sliced, chopped, and even cubed then heated it a bit in a pan with olive oil.  Dumped it over some fried rice (from the Japanese steakhouse) and then added a bit of yum yum sauce.  Much better than there steak to say the least.  Im ready to do more now.  I need to do a pork butt and a chicken soon.

Thanks again everyone

FLBentRider

Nice pics BL. I've got a brisket or two in my near future.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

IKnowWood

Good job BL, my brisket adventure starts tomorrow.  Pork Butt is easy now.  Real hard to mess that up, only I did was getting wrong cut of Meat.  The Picnic is not a Butt.  You see pork Shoulder on the label, its a picnic.  Get yourself a good Boston Butt and you will be happy.  Work is about the same with the Brisket, just much more Fat.

IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Brisket Lover

Yup going to get 2 pork butts tonight.  I have to look in the recipe section on what rub to use.

Any clues to how to pick  ;D a good butt?