A Ditty to Dinosaur Bones

Started by Smoking Duck, January 05, 2009, 06:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Admittedly, I'm no Shakespeare, but Caney has inspired me.  First go round with Beef ribs:

There once was a guy from Elkhart
Whose wife complained when he'd fart
He loved to smoke foods
No matter his moods
So he gave Dino Ribs a fresh start  ;D

Here's what one rack looked like, cut in half to fit in the tray:

And in the smoker.  Gave them a CYM slather, the ribs on top were just a basic rub I threw together that included: kosher salt, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, cumin and smoked paprika.  The bottom rack was CYM and Jan's rub.

Gonna do these the way I do ribs......3 hours of smoke (oak/maple/pecan combo), then foil for 3 hours, then opened up for 1 hour.  One rack will get a bbq sauce and the other rack will get the mushroom sauce that 10.5 posted.  Hope they come out!  Will post the rest of the pics when they're done.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

Looks good Duck. Your gonna love that Mushroom sauce, just make sure you have enough mushroooms.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

I've got a pound of mushrooms...hopefully, that will get me through!

Caneyscud

Ok, where the number for our Worker's Comp rep?  Just fell outta my chair laughing so hard.  Love it, and needed it after 4 days of exam cramming!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

pensrock

SD's a poet but don't know it!  ;D

Caneyscud

SD's gots big feets - Longfellows!!

Shakespeare
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smoking Duck

Really, more of a street rapper....that's just how I roll  ;D

OK, here's the pics of the finished dino bones.  They really pulled away from the bones.  One thing I definitely learned is that they taste a LOT better than they look.  They were definitely fall off the bone tender.  In the last 1/2 hour, where I opened up the foil, I sprinkled brown sugar on the ribs and let that melt into the ribs.......will definitely give that a try with pork ribs.  It went well in contrast to the rub.  I made my own BBQ sauce and also the mushroom sauce that 10.5 posted.  Both were absolutely excellent.  If it's any indication, my wife (who eats very little), my 7 year old daughter (who does the same) and I (who eats more than they do) put down 1 1/2 racks by ourselves.  The wife even said she liked them better than pork ribs (Yes, I slapped her for that comment  ;D):

Consiglieri

Prime rib on the bone!  How'd they turn out?  

And while I'm preparing to post the question, you post the answer.  Good mindreading skills, Duck. 
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

The answer:They turned out really well, to my amazement.  They definitely taste better than they look!  I would, however, definitely consider the beef ribs the George Costanza of the smoking world (shrinkage).  I will definitely be doing them again!

The question:  How will I answer Consig's post about how they turned out?

In the words of Ed McMahon:  You are correct, sir!

Tenpoint5

Duck Congrats on the Dino Bones doing some CS pork ribs tonight myself. Looks like the Mushroom sauce Turned out for you. I love the stuff.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

Absolutely loved it, 10.5 as did the rest of the family.

I can taste that sauce over mashed potatoes.  Make a little depression for the pat of butter and then fill the mushroom sauce all over the mashed taters!

Sweet Sauce of Shrooms.......I'm all over that!

SD

westexasmoker

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 05, 2009, 02:36:55 PM
  The wife even said she liked them better than pork ribs (Yes, I slapped her for that comment  ;D):

I guess I'd have to be slapped also....prefer beef over pork ribs anyday!

Lookin good SD!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

I didn't really slap her (truth be told, she scares me), WTS!  I just really dig the pig!

Thanks, FL!  They were pretty good!  Can't wait until I get a little more experience with the beast bones!

SD

FLBentRider

Perfection of Beef ribs is something that has eluded me. Good ones are hard to find in my area, and I don't think I am starting with a quality product.

Next time I will buy a bone-in prime rib and take the ribs off that!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!