Butt time!

Started by FLBentRider, January 08, 2009, 04:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Quote from: Father Tom on January 09, 2009, 10:40:53 AM
SD.  That is a WallyWold brand.  I have had trouble with them years ago so now i get everything from San Francisco Herbs Co.  www.sfherbs.com.  My wife has arabian horses and feeds then garlic granulated each day for fly control.  We buy garlic #30 lb at a time.

Good luck

Tom

I agree on the SFHerbs garlic.  I don't buy 30#+ at a time, but I have probably bought 30# over the years from them. 

Shakespeare
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

I am using Alton Brown's brine and rub: I do 24 hours brine. I am using 4x the recipe, although I use 5x on the rub. I smoke with 4 hours of Hickory, then cook @200F to an IT of 190F, FTC at least 2 hours.

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Ingredients
Brine:

* 8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
    * 12 ounces pickling salt
    * 2 quarts bottled water
    * 6 to 8 pound Boston butt

Rub:

* 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
    * 1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
    * 1 teaspoon whole coriander
    * 1 tablespoon chili powder
    * 1 tablespoon onion powder
    * 1 tablespoon paprika

Directions

Combine molasses, pickling salt, and water in 6 quart Lexan. Add Boston butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours. 12 hours is ideal.

Place cumin seed, fennel seed, and coriander in food grinder and grind fine. Transfer to a small mixing bowl and stir in chili powder, onion powder, and paprika.

Remove Boston butt from brine and pat dry. Sift the rub evenly over the shoulder and then pat onto the meat making sure as much of the rub as possible adheres. More rub will adhere to the meat if you are wearing latex gloves during the application.

Preheat smoker to 210 degrees F. Place butt in smoker and cook for 10 to12 hours, maintaining a temperature of 210 degrees F. Begin checking meat for doneness after 10 hours of cooking time. Use fork to check for doneness. Meat is done when it falls apart easily when pulling with a fork. Once done, remove from pot and set aside to rest for at least 1 hour. Pull meat apart with 2 forks and serve as sandwich with coleslaw and dressing as desired.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I like most of their spices. I regularly use Tones granulated garlic, restaurant ground black pepper, pepper flakes and a lot of their dry herbs. It's a decent brand, and it's own by the same company that makes Spice Island, Durkee, and Weber Spices. Also they make French's sauce and spice mixes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

You know, it just may be the powder form.  It's entirely different in texture from the "normal" garlic powder from say, McCormicks.  It could just be that when it is ground down to that fine of a powder it loses more of it's "essence" if you will.  I've not used any other spices from them, so I'm solely basing my observations simply on the garlic and onion powder.  I by no means am trying to steer anyone away from this product, just basically giving my opinion on these two products.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

The Smoke is rollin'!

The Butts are ready:

Into the smoker after some meat origami:

I'll get up around 0200 and empty / refill the water bowl.

After breakfast, they will probably go into the oven to finish.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Now you're cooking, FL!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

smokeitall

Wow those are lookin good.  thanks for the recipe, I am going to give this a try.

KyNola

FLBR and the rest of you feel free to bust me for what I am about to say.

One of my favorite things about using a rub on something like a pork butt that has been in the frig overnight is how pretty they look when you bring them out and unwrap them.  Those pics are awesome!

Hey FLBR, show all of us your butt(s)!!!  :o  ;D ;D ;D

KyNola

Gizmo

FLB,
I don't say this too often and for obvious reasons but those are some real nice looking BIG BUTTS.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

HCT

FLB, that molasses brine is a winner. Gives the meat a great taste. I'll definately be using it again and again.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

Fl,

Looking good.  I'm hoping next weekend is good,  I want to do brisket one day and butts on the other.  Need to fill the freezer.  If I do I thinking I will try your method of brining the pork butt first.

Deb

FLBentRider

0215 this morning:

0745:

Pulled them to foil and oven:

I ran out of FOIL!   :'(

Dug through the panty found these reynold foil bag things called "Hot Bags" ! Perfect for butts!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

FLB nice looking Butt (s) Do you put a splash of apple juice in your foil when you finish in the oven? I always put a splash of Apple/Raspberry in mine.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

stillsmoking

Very nice FL, thanks for sharing the recipe and pictures!  I am going to have to give that rub a try for sure.

FLBentRider

I've not taken to splashing, mopping or spritzing... at least with the butts. I'll splash a little whisky over ice, however...

They come out great without it.

I seem to have to do the "butt shuffle" every time I do one off these large smokes. I'm going to have to measure the clearance between racks and start sizing up the butts before the brine. That way I can give them a little "beat down" if necessary. I'l thinking about making a cardboard or plastic template of the rack size and clearance, to be used when trimming ribs, brisket, etc...

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!