For Anyone Who Has An Idea

Started by La Quinta, January 10, 2009, 07:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

I lost an "Iron Chef" bet...and the "secret ingredient" is Oranges...We have to make an appetizer, a main course, side dish (like a starch), veggie, dessert and cocktail...everything has to have an orange theme...I have never smoked anything with a citrus backdrop to it...ideas? I'd like to break out the smoker....but am struggling with the concept of smoke and citrus???

Help?

Tenpoint5

LQ let me look I remember smoking some chicky thighs injected with orange juice.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

westexasmoker

Ah  come on LG......Oranges....Smoke....Mesquite.....and a teabag....whats the problem!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Bradley (Head Office)

Orange Cranberry Chicken
This dish goes great with steamed brown rice.
Ingredients:
•   1 tablespoon less-fat margarine
•   1/3 cup reduced-sugar orange marmalade
•   1/2 cup dried cranberries
•   1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
•   1 tablespoon rice vinegar
•   1 teaspoon chopped ginger
•   1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•   1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (if using broth powder, make it double strength by adding 1 cup of hot water to 2 teaspoons of broth powder)
•   6 skinless, boneless half breasts of chicken cut into about 3 pieces each
•   1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
Preparation:
1.   Add all ingredients except chicken to the slow cooker; stir well with spoon.
2.   Add the chicken breast pieces to the slow cooker, cover, and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on LOW about 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked throughout.
3.   Serve chicken with orange cranberry sauce.

•   2 pounds cranberries
•   2 tablespoons orange zest
•   3 cinnamon sticks
•   1 pint orange juice
•   2 cups packed brown sugar
•   2 cups water
•   Place the cranberries, grated orange rind, cinnamon, orange juice, brown sugar and enough water to cover cranberries in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Immediately turn heat down and simmer for about one hour or until the sauce has thickened. Taste for sweetness and adjust with additional sugar if necessary. You can not overcook, so continue cooking until you have a good thick consistency. Let mixture cool a bit then refrigerate in a covered container.

westexasmoker

Quote from: westexasmoker on January 10, 2009, 08:51:57 PM
Ah  come on LG......Oranges....Smoke....Mesquite.....and a teabag....whats the problem!   ;D

C

Uhhhh I mean't to say LGggggggggQQQQQQQQ......not that other girl in..Oranges...Smoke...Mesquite world....Oh heck theres another one with a teabag........Schizbott!.....NahNoo.NahNoo! 

C

westexasmoker

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) PR on January 10, 2009, 08:56:04 PM
Orange Cranberry Chicken
This dish goes great with steamed brown rice.
Ingredients:
•   1 tablespoon less-fat margarine
•   1/3 cup reduced-sugar orange marmalade
•   1/2 cup dried cranberries
•   1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
•   1 tablespoon rice vinegar
•   1 teaspoon chopped ginger
•   1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•   1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (if using broth powder, make it double strength by adding 1 cup of hot water to 2 teaspoons of broth powder)
•   6 skinless, boneless half breasts of chicken cut into about 3 pieces each
•   1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
Preparation:
1.   Add all ingredients except chicken to the slow cooker; stir well with spoon.
2.   Add the chicken breast pieces to the slow cooker, cover, and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on LOW about 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked throughout.
3.   Serve chicken with orange cranberry sauce.

•   2 pounds cranberries
•   2 tablespoons orange zest
•   3 cinnamon sticks
•   1 pint orange juice
•   2 cups packed brown sugar
•   2 cups water
•   Place the cranberries, grated orange rind, cinnamon, orange juice, brown sugar and enough water to cover cranberries in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Immediately turn heat down and simmer for about one hour or until the sauce has thickened. Taste for sweetness and adjust with additional sugar if necessary. You can not overcook, so continue cooking until you have a good thick consistency. Let mixture cool a bit then refrigerate in a covered container.

Allright Brian.....This sounds most excellent...I want to see pics, and the whole thing done by ya....Come on you can do it!  PR ya know!!   ;D 

C

Bradley (Head Office)

Allright Brian.....This sounds most excellent...I want to see pics, and the whole thing done by ya....Come on you can do it!  PR ya know!!   

I have not had this in years my Mother used to make it for us i couldn't
find her recipe so i got this of the net its close to what she used to make.

Gizmo

Orange and pork go well, say a Blood Orange Roast Pork Loin.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

I love this challenge!

I'm with Giz.  Get the blood oranges: they have a little more bitterness and what f'in color!  And bend the rules a little bit: consider throwing in some tangerines (clemintines have that great tartness), or some red grapefruit.  You can call it a compliment to the "orange"-- throw in some orange zest to qualify.   

Here's my thoughts:

Work tangerines or mandarins into the salad with walnuts, almonds or pistachios; dried crans, and cheese (maytag blue would be my pick).  Maybe some other sweet fresh fruit like pears.  Clemintines have great tartness that can offset a lighter vinegar and the sweetness of the pears.

Main dish.  Lots of cuban stuff that requires citrus, similarly jamaican.  I remember someone posting a cuban pork loin that was based on Orange zest/juice.  I cooked that recipe and it rocks!  If I were to do it again, I'd offset the sweetness of the orange with rosemary, and a healthy dash of our friend garlic. 

cocktail:  Use blood oranges if you're going the predictable vodka route.  The bitterness/color will f'in rock.  If you have a citrus presser you can make that the centerpiece if you want to do something cold.  To really throw people off, try something like a spiced hot cider.  Prepare a usual hot cider, and float blood orange slices on top with the cloves, cinamin sticks, nutmeg and other spices.  Spike the brew with orang based liquor like Cointreau, Gran Manier, and/or Southern Comfort.

Side dishes are a challenge.  If you're going to do poultry as the main dish, you can do the citrus zest as part of the rub, and the stuffing can be citrus based.   Maybe throw some kumquats into a stirfry (or mandarins) with almonds, or chestnuts.

Desert:  If you have an icecream maker, make fresh orange sherbert.

My $0.02.
Woof.

Consiglieri. 
Consiglieri

Smokin Soon

I'm not a big orange eater but have a big tree in the back yard, I will put orange slices on the grill with a very light sprinkle of Saigon Cinnamon and Nutmeg. It's a quick flip-flip cook and most like them. Just a slight browning is all that is needed.

Habanero Smoker

If Gizmo is referring to Cuban Pork then I would have to agree, with Mojo sauce on the side. I would do a search for "orange marinade" or "orange zest rub" and see if anything of interest comes from that. For a c-o-c-ktail I would make orange mojitos.

If you like curry, this looks real good (found it using "orange zest rub") Masala Orange Zest Rub

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

I've had ceviche with a bit of orange juice in the marinade and it was great. 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Caneyscud

Citrus is a natural with fish = ask those people on those islands closer to the Equator than Minnesota.  Lots of my fish marinades include citrus - usually lime or lemons, but no reason not to include orange.  My fajita marinade always includes lemons or limes.  Make a chicken fajita with orange in the marinade.  Maybe a orange marinated fish fajita taco with a spicy slaw to counteract the sweetness of the orange.  Jerk Pork with orange in the marinade and/or orange slices on top.  Chinesese (red) ribs, but have orange being the main overtone.  Smoke a duck, or other fowl for that matters, with oranges stuffed inside the cavity and an orange/maple flavored glaze.  I wonder how a Cornish hen would be done that way.  Always in the back of my mind is to take tangerines or blood oranges and preserve them like preserved lemons and make a tangine or something like that.

Desert - Orange infused cinnamon rolls.  We will make a desert "salad" out of mandarins, pineapple, orange jello, whipped cream, baby marshmallows, and walnuts. - some throw in some coconut, but I don't!   I've seen a recipe for an orange slice pie somewhere.   A nice rich buttery muffin with candied orange and almonds or walnuts or maybe macadamia - maybe with some coconut.  I've had a orange/pumpkin mousse cooked/steamed inside an empty orange shell - pretty need presentation.

Appetizer - Orange marinade with peppers spread on top of flavored cream cheese - flavored with maybe green onions and cilantro.  Basically a cracker spread.

Orange flavored rice is a creole favorite.  Never had it but if the Creoles like it - it has to be good.  A nice restaurant that used to be in the Omni would have a side dish of Brussel Sprouts with orange sauce.  Did not have it, but looked to be a buttery orange sauce served warm.  Never understood why glazed carrots or copper pennies couldn't be made with a strong orange emphasis.

How about a sweet potato casserole with mandarines in it or on top.  Maybe stuff it into scooped out orange shells put nuts and marshmallows on top and bake.  Zucchini fritters with an orange sauce.  I think one of my French Cookbooks has a beet recipe glazed with oranges.  Get wild use some curry in the sweet potato casserole or the glazes and sauces.

Make a squash soup, and put some orange in it.  Curried orange squash soup maybe?

Somehow cook or serve some fish/scallops/shrimp in an orange shell.

Wonder what an orange flavored polenta taste like?

I think some English King liked venison cooked in orange juice.

Wild rice/pecan/orange stuffing for a smoked yard bird

Acorn squash cooked in orange and maple.

Hope this helps

Shakespeare
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) PR on January 10, 2009, 09:28:56 PM
Allright Brian.....This sounds most excellent...I want to see pics, and the whole thing done by ya....Come on you can do it!  PR ya know!!   

I have not had this in years my Mother used to make it for us i couldn't
find her recipe so i got this of the net its close to what she used to make.

Ahhh Kinda Sounds like a Challenge there Brian!!!! Whoop his butt!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!