homemade cheese?

Started by Up In Smoke, January 17, 2009, 01:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Jerry

I'm very sorry to here that. I know it doesn't matter what I say it won't replace the lost income, especially during tougher economic times. I always try to look at things with a positive spin on it. you have to because life would drive ya nuts if you didn't. It certainly isn't easy to take a cut in pay but at the same time a person has to concentrate on the fact that you are still working and earning a living. Not much consolation, I know but you certainly don't have to look very far to see others worse off than you. This applies to almost everything in life.

Again, sorry to here this Jerry, chin up!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Sorry to hear that Jerry.  Mike is correct......I would give anything right now to be able to take a pay cut.  Been out of work for a year now and the noose just keeps getting tighter.  However, everyone has their health and I've got great family and friends.  I know it isn't easy, but you need to really try and focus on the positive......the negatives will kill ya.

Keep pushing forward and doing what you can.  I know it sounds really cheesy but it's true......Tough times never last; tough people do.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

seemore

Jerry, that SUCKS.  I am so sorry to hear that.
Hang in there,

Mrs.

seemore

Ok, I sliced some cheese today, and found it to be quite crumbly, like a goat cheese or a feta cheese.  I don't think I stretched it enough to make it consistent. 
I will definitely try this again, and use the rennet for the cheese.
And I will add more salt!
This was a lot of fun, and I would encourage you to try it.  The recipe that we followed only took about an hour from start to finish. 

Smokin Soon

Keep a chin up there Jerry, I was laid off from a 30 year position with no warning whatsoever. I would have been quite satisfied with a cut in pay. I ended up taking a job for 25% less pay. I'm a firm believer that if
we can get through 2009, things will improve. I have had to refrain from Salmon and Steak, but do one heck of a lot of Pork, Chicken, Cod, Talipia ect. Also sausages do not break the bank. My friend however, just went through the 10% cut routine and informed me that it did not hurt a bit, as it put him in a lower tax bracket. We will all get through this.

Caribou

Hang in there Jerry!
I know the times that we are more cash strapped are the times that we learn things that make us more self-reliant.
When my hubbie was laid off from his job of 11+years he took it as his cue to finally become a full time artist at the time.
We were so broke when he started, but we created a veggie garden and fished and hunted more.
We could eat out so I learned how to cook, too! ;)
And now it's one of my greatest passions...who knew!
Carolyn

Habanero Smoker

Jerry;

Sorry to hear that you had to take a 10% pay cut.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Jerry,

Sorry to hear about the pay cut.

Hang in there.

Deb

La Quinta

Hey Jerry...if ya think about it a 10% pay cut isn't THAT BAD considering our unemployment rate right now....so, I know it sucks now....but ya got a job man....lots of folks who can't say that....sometimes "you gotta look on the bright side of life" as Monty Python coined.....make cheese when you can....

Tenpoint5

That SUCKS Jerry. I look at it this way what better time to keep your hobby. Compare the price of cheese in the store to the price of making it yourself. Be willing to bet making it yourself is cheaper and a whole lot more fun. Like the old saying is don't look at the glass as half empty its still half full. With all the friends around here somebody will walk by and add something to it.

5yrs ago I got a two day notice that my job was going to Mississippi and I was done. I hung my head and pouted for a couple of days, my son was due in 2 weeks. Two of my other 3 were 2 weeks late. I was worried. He was 3 days late all was good and now I have a better paying job. So my glass is 3/4 full now. Yours will be too!! Do more with less.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HCT

Jerry, bad break, sorry to hear about it.

seemore, did you use rennet in this batch? Or are you talking bout getting it from the cheesemaker.
How did it taste?
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

sherlock

It is tough. In 2002 I lost a very lucretive job and ended up starting at 45% less. It was very hard to get by but we managed with three and a half jobs. Today, I am back up there and the economy has had no adverse effect on our industry. Looking forward to retirement soon. 401K has been shoot to hell but we will enjoy what we have. Back in 2002, somebody told me not to think of a loss of 45% of my income but instead think that I am still earning 55% of what I used to. Still sucked but what can I say. Sounds better to say you still have 90%. But I know it still sucks. :)

stillsmoking

Jerry, sorry to hear about the tough times but glad to hear you still have some choices.  Going into a meeting tomorrow myself that could end up in the loss of my job.  Sometimes things get tough but if you have your priorities straight the choices are easy.  Glad to see you have your priorities lined out.  Hang in there Bud!

seemore

Sorry, HCT, for the delayed response.  When I get home from work I usually don't get on the computer much.
I used the rennet that you get in the grocery store;  I did even know that there was rennet out there specifically for making cheese.
The mozarella was very bland.  Mr. is planning to smoke cheese this weekend, and I think we are going to add the mozarella to the batch to see if this might help the flavor.
Like I said, too, it is very crumbly, like Mexican queso for tacos/enchiladas (without the good flavor of that queso  :( )
I did not buy a cheese-making kit.  Another one of those things that I did not even know existed.  I guess I need to get out more...........
Good luck if you make the mozarella.  Please let me know if you do how it turns out, ok?
My suggestions are to stretch it more, and add more salt!
Mrs.

deb415611

Quote from: seemore on January 23, 2009, 06:17:05 PM
Sorry, HCT, for the delayed response.  When I get home from work I usually don't get on the computer much.
I used the rennet that you get in the grocery store;  I did even know that there was rennet out there specifically for making cheese.
The mozarella was very bland.  Mr. is planning to smoke cheese this weekend, and I think we are going to add the mozarella to the batch to see if this might help the flavor.
Like I said, too, it is very crumbly, like Mexican queso for tacos/enchiladas (without the good flavor of that queso  :( )
I did not buy a cheese-making kit.  Another one of those things that I did not even know existed.  I guess I need to get out more...........
Good luck if you make the mozarella.  Please let me know if you do how it turns out, ok?
My suggestions are to stretch it more, and add more salt!
Mrs.

Mrs,

I have been doing a little reading and using ultrapasteurized milk does not seem to give the cheese the same texture as regular pasteurized milk.   When I was at the store I noticed the organic valley milk is ultrapasteurized.   I wonder if that was your problem.  I had a hard time finding organic milk that was not ultrapasteurized    If I can get off the computer & get to work I might be able to find the time to try it tomorrow. 

Deb