homemade cheese?

Started by Up In Smoke, January 17, 2009, 01:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Here is a link on ultrapasteurized vs. pasteurized milk in cheesemaking. 

http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/124.html

It's from the cheesemaking.com website.   There is some good info on that website.   I ordered some rennet & citric acid from them and they put a smiley face sticker on their box by the address label.  So I'm sure I'll be making some happy cheese ;D

seemore

Oh, Deb!!!!  Thanks for confirming what the Mr had suspected all along - the organic milk!  That dry crumbling mass that I compared to goat cheese was the result of using that milk, I bet!  It looked EXACTLY like the pictures of the UP milk during the cheese-making process!  Do you think that would have contributed to the blandness of the cheese as well? 
I bought organic milk, because that is what we used when we made ricotta cheese, and it turned out so well.
Well, at least I can use the dry crumbling mass on our tacos next week for supper!!!
Thanks again!  Back to the kitchen for us!
Seemore & the Mrs.

HCT

Thanks seemore, I'm going to check a few small health food stores for the rennet. Maybe I'll get lucky. :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

Quote from: HCT on January 24, 2009, 08:34:35 AM
Thanks seemore, I'm going to check a few small health food stores for the rennet. Maybe I'll get lucky. :)

HCT,

Shop-rite in Waterbury has the Junket rennet.  I saw it a couple hours ago.  Maybe you have one up there.

Deb

HCT

Thanks Deb, I'll look in Big y or Stop and Shop, Price Chopper, I'll come up good with one of them. I was just thinking health food store to see if the rennet was any different.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

Quote from: HCT on January 24, 2009, 10:57:31 AM
Thanks Deb, I'll look in Big y or Stop and Shop, Price Chopper, I'll come up good with one of them. I was just thinking health food store to see if the rennet was any different.

That makes sense, they may have the actual cheese making rennet.

smokeitall

Ok my wife and I made our first ever batch of mozzarella.  I used a couple of the suggestions I got on here, like adding a little extra salt and I gotta tell you we hit a home run on the very first batch.  We only made one pound but it is almost gone already.  We are probably going to make 2 or 3 batch of 2lbs each this weekend.  I would like to try and smoke some and my wife would also like to add of few ingredients, not sure what yet to add, any suggestions???  I think this will def lead to buying / making the equipment to make hard cheese.  I will post some pics this weekend if we end up making it.

deb415611

Quote from: smokeitall on January 26, 2009, 09:46:34 AM
Ok my wife and I made our first ever batch of mozzarella.  I used a couple of the suggestions I got on here, like adding a little extra salt and I gotta tell you we hit a home run on the very first batch.  We only made one pound but it is almost gone already.  We are probably going to make 2 or 3 batch of 2lbs each this weekend.  I would like to try and smoke some and my wife would also like to add of few ingredients, not sure what yet to add, any suggestions???  I think this will def lead to buying / making the equipment to make hard cheese.  I will post some pics this weekend if we end up making it.

When I was poking around the store the other day I saw the mozzarella that was rolled up with prosciutto.  Also one that was rolled up with sun-dried tomatoes & herbs.  Looks like it started as a rectangle and then was rolled up into a log.  I'm planning on trying it this way for my second batch (assuming I have success with the first). 

I want to try the hard cheese too,  the obstacles at the moment are the lack of press & finding the constant 55 degree temparature & the time to do it.    I bought the Home Cheesemaking book that is written by the woman at cheesemaking.com .   So far it seems like it is a really good reference book. 

smokeitall

I think I will have to buy that book.  The rolled up prosciutto sounds good, I will try that.
Thanks

seemore

Dang, Smokeitall, I am JEALOUS!  Your first batch and it turned out great!  AWESOME!  Send some pics, please!!!
Have you thought about adding some herbs to the mozzarella next time you make it?  Just a thought.....I don't know how that would taste.  Rolled up in prosciutto sounds wonderful.
You will have to send pix of whatever you and the wife come up with next weekend!

smokeitall

Quote from: seemore on January 26, 2009, 05:47:09 PM
Dang, Smokeitall, I am JEALOUS!  Your first batch and it turned out great!  AWESOME!  Send some pics, please!!!
Have you thought about adding some herbs to the mozzarella next time you make it?  Just a thought.....I don't know how that would taste.  Rolled up in prosciutto sounds wonderful.
You will have to send pix of whatever you and the wife come up with next weekend!

I only had such a nice first batch because of this forum.  Others here that were nice enough to share their mistakes really helped out.  I can't wait to make some more, there was one small piece left when I got home tonight and it was even better today.  I will try some herbs, I bet that would be good.  I am really looking for to smoking some, or if someone had a recipe for string cheese, not this mozzarella string cheese but old fashion real string cheese like you get from upper Wisconsin, you know the kind that is a little dry and when you pull one string off there is a bunch of little strings that come with it?  I wonder how its made?