Turducken Roll w/ pics

Started by KyNola, January 18, 2009, 10:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Here we go, first pic boneless turkey breast has already been pounded thin, seasoned with Jan's Dry Rub and a thin layer of jambalaya applied and boneless pounded duck breasts laid on top.

Next, duck breast fillets seasoned with the rub, jambalaya applied and boneless skinless pounded chicken breasts laid on top and seasoned with more rub

Intentionally left the small amount of fat on the chicken in hopes it will aid in keeping things moist.  Final thin layer of jambalaya on the chicken breasts.  Now the hardest part, rolled up after much difficulty as the turkey stuck terribly to the wax paper. (Note to self, next time spray the wax paper!)  Once rolled seasoned with the rub and wrapped in bacon.

Peppered the bacon and tied, ready to go into the smoker at 230 for 3hours of hickory/apple smoke and cook until IT reaches 160.

Will post final results on this thread.  I must confess had my wife Jan not been there to really help me plus calm me down a couple of times, this would not have gone nearly as well.

KyNola

pensrock

QuoteI must confess had my wife Jan not been there to really help me plus calm me down a couple of times, this would not have gone nearly as well.

Nice to give credit where credit is due.  :)

Maybe you could have made the bacon into a basket weave and layed it down first? Just a thought.

Can't wait to see the final product.
pens

Gizmo

Very nice picks KyNola.
Let us know how it turns out with the 230 deg temp.  I would have been tempted to go to max temp with poultry and bacon.  
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Pens,
While I was trying to roll that thing, I actually had that same thought.

Thanks for the suggestion Giz, I think I'll go bump up the temp!  Thanks!

Larry

Smoking Duck

Looking good, KY!  Anxious to see the finished product.  It sure is nice to have a calming influence around when we need it, huh?  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

KY,

looking great so far!  Can't wait to see it finished

Deb

NePaSmoKer

Outstanding my friend  ;D

nepas

FLBentRider

KyNola,

That looks fantastic. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Thanks all.  Here is the finished product.

Took a little over 4 hours total.  Learned a couple of things.  Next time would probably use a cornbread type stuffing as it would be more of a paste type filling(just like you thought SD)and not as crumbly.  The rolls are not as "pinwheeled" as I would have preferred but the taste is really good.

SD, hope you had a great day with your family!

KyNola

Mr Walleye

Looks great KyNola!  ;)

Thanks for sharing!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

WOWSERS

I can almost taste it. AWSOME

nepas

westexasmoker

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"