PING...DEB and CARIBOU

Started by Tenpoint5, January 19, 2009, 12:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Quote from: Caneyscud on January 20, 2009, 06:31:32 AM

For healthier baking, might try some soy flour.  Definitely not a 1 to 1 replacement ratio, and does affect taste, but can be quite good.  My wife and daughter tried one time to make some soy flour brownies with carob and Equal.  They did not eat them, but I thought they were ok.  Recipe definitely needed work, but I thought it had some definite possibilities. 

Caney,

Have you tried white whole wheat flour?   It is whole wheat, a different type of wheat berry than traditional whole wheat, with a milder taste.  Depending on what I am baking I sub 50 - 100% for all-purpose. 

Deb

HCT

10.5, hows the injury today? How you're getting some relief.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: HCT on January 20, 2009, 09:21:57 AM
10.5, hows the injury today? How you're getting some relief.

Not too bad. A soak in the tub with epsom salt did wonders. No physical therapy today so there won't be as much stiffness.

As promised here is the other recipe.

Cherry Cola-Chocolate-Mayonnaise-Sauerkraut Bundt Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup light mayonnaise
1 cup cherry cola
1 cup sauerkraut, washed, drained and chopped

1) Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray Bundt pan heavily with vegetable cooking spray
2) Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder together on a sheet of wax paper.
3) In a large bowl with mixer on high speed, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla extract. Reduce speed to low and beat in mayonnaise. Add flour-cocoa mixture alternately with cola. Stir in drained sauerkraut.
4) Bake in prepared Bundt pan for approximately 45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan onto serving plate.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HCT

With some vanilla icing drizzled over the top I think it would be a decent cake.
probably the biggest"

Tenpoint5

I agree HCT. I'm not that picky of an eater, but if it has a different ingredient. Don't tell me till after I tried it. I might figure it out on my own. Course I would probably still try it if you told me what it was. Heck I knew what Rocky Mountain Oysters where when I tried them the first time.

By the way the book I got the recipes from is Best-Ever Kitchen Secrets by Bottom Line publishing. Not sure when it will be for sale or where. We just print the books.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HCT

I'll give them a try in the next few weeks, maybe sooner. I'll pretty much try anything once, taste it twice. Otherwise you can't really say you don't like it. :D
probably the biggest"

Caribou

I have to say I have never seen sauerkraut in a cake before!
Glad to hear the knee is feeling a little better 10.5.
Carolyn

pensrock

My dad always said that his mother used to make them 'potato candy' when he was a kid. I never heard of that before but I guess it was good.

Caribou

Couldn't help myself, I had to Google that one Pens
found this at Cooks.com
POTATO CANDY   

1/2 cup mashed potatoes
powered sugar
peanut butter

Combine 1/2 cup mashed potatoes and power sugar till is firm enough to roll. The mixture will become very wet; just keep adding powdered sugar. roll out on powdered sugar like noodles. Cover with peanut butter. Roll into jelly roll cut into small pieces. Very rich!

Carolyn

pensrock

Wow! No wonder they loved it as kids. That would send my blood sugar to the moon!  ;D

Caribou

Just got to make sure it's not recalled PB!
Carolyn

Caneyscud

Quote from: deb415611 on January 20, 2009, 08:14:50 AM
Quote from: Caneyscud on January 20, 2009, 06:31:32 AM

For healthier baking, might try some soy flour.  Definitely not a 1 to 1 replacement ratio, and does affect taste, but can be quite good.  My wife and daughter tried one time to make some soy flour brownies with carob and Equal.  They did not eat them, but I thought they were ok.  Recipe definitely needed work, but I thought it had some definite possibilities. 

Caney,

Have you tried white whole wheat flour?   It is whole wheat, a different type of wheat berry than traditional whole wheat, with a milder taste.  Depending on what I am baking I sub 50 - 100% for all-purpose. 

Deb

Deb,
No I haven't.  Actually don't think I have even heard of it!  However, I was trying to find some deserts with low carbs and good taste and with the nice addition of the isoflavens.  Doubt if the white whole wheat has any less carbs than regular.  I am a big fan of whole wheat though.  When I do add wheat products to my eating - it is usually in the form of whole wheat and particularly whole wheatberry.  The only thing that I don't like about the whole wheat products normally available is that there is usually added sweeteners of some type added - for me destroying any gain in nutrition of the whole wheat.  I like whole wheat without sweetness and I wish some company would take note! 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smoking Duck

Interesting, Shake............I like sweetness without whole wheat and it seems as if most companies have taken notice of that  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

This is a very interesting thread....very creative....kool...