PING...DEB and CARIBOU

Started by Tenpoint5, January 19, 2009, 12:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Ok Ladies,
I was printing a book over the weekend at work and came across a couple interesting recipes for cakes. Since you guys seem to be the resident bakers. I thought I would let you have a whirl at one of them, BEFORE SD's inner HAZEL comes out and he try's it. I'm think it should be renamed as Fart Cake or Whistle Berry Cake. If you try it let us know how it turns out.

Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce Cake

1 Cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg and 1 egg white
1  8-ounce can vegetarian baked beans in tomato sauce
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup chopped raisins (optional)

1, Preheat oven to 325*. Lightly grease and flour an 8.5x4.5 loaf pan, or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.

2, Empty the can of baked beans (with Sauce) in a large bowl, and mash the beans. Then stir in the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.

3, In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder and mix thoroughly. Then add the mixture to the bean batter, and mix thoroughly until smooth. If you're adding walnuts and/or raisins, do so and mix the batter again.

4, Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

5, Place the pan on wire rack until the cake cools. When it has cooled, frost it with the Cream Cheese Frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 3-ounce package cream cheese
1 tablespoon milk
2 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Blend cream cheese and milk. Add sugar and blend well, then stir in the vanilla extract. Spread frosting on cooled cake.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

Regardless of my inner Hazel, I can tell you that that does not even sound like something I would do.  No disrespect intended, but bean cake with a cream cheese topping doesn't make me say Yummmmmmmm. 

Of course, as always, I include the caveat that I have always been horribly wrong before  ;D

Dang, here I thought again that Deb and carolyn were golfers  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

Duck I could always send you the recipe for Cherry Cola-Chocolate-Mayonnaise-Sauerkraut Bundt Cake!!! If that would be more to your liking!!!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

I do not know where you got that cookbook but I'm with SD here. Neither of those sound appitizing at all. But then again, I have been known to whip up some pretty odd stuff myself.  :P

HCT

I'd give it a try. Tomato sauce cake I've heard of. The beans, who knows. Cream cheese frosting ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D makes everything right.
The sauerkraut cake I'd also try. Maybe trade vanilla coke for the cherry. The kraut flavor pretty much will cook out.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

10.5 -- I don't know - even though I'm trying to eat healthy and incorporate more beans in my diet I don't think I want them in my cake.   Thanks for thinking of me though  ;D.

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 19, 2009, 12:58:55 PM

Dang, here I thought again that Deb and carolyn were golfers  ;D

I have a dusty set of clubs.  I'm terrible but love it.  I haven't been in about 5 years but told my husband Saturday that was going to change this summer - that we had to make time. 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: deb415611 on January 19, 2009, 02:33:15 PM

10.5 -- I don't know - even though I'm trying to eat healthy and incorporate more beans in my diet I don't think I want them in my cake.   Thanks for thinking of me though  ;D.

Then I quess you won't be making any bean pies. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caribou

I think it sounds interesting!  I think it is half sister of the carrot cake, a lot of the ingredients are similar.
I have to agree with with HCT, cream cheese frosting may be akin to the lipstick on the pig! ;)
I'm not sure if I'm a resident baker but I did made rice krispie treats yesterday for my daughter's sleep over.
Speaking of interesting ingredients, I remember a cookie recipe that had crushed potato chips in it that my friends mom used to make, but I was 18 then and didn't take any notes!  But they were good.
Carolyn

Smoking Duck

I always keep vegetables next to the beef and fruits next to the breads, cookies etc and never the twain shall meet  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

Carolyn and Deb,
When I get time and the pain killers wear off I will type up the other recipe for you.

Pain Killers = trashed knee at work waiting for MRI approval from work Ins. Co. Probably surgery to fix.

Caribou

Sorry to hear about your knee 10.5.
Hope you don't need surgery, but that is sometimes the only way to fix em.
You know I was looking at my canning recipes and there are jams that contain tomatos.
So, maybe tomatos can be paired with sweet.
I think the recipe would be worth trying...I'm gonna try it sometime soon.
Carolyn

FLBentRider

I hope the knee gets better soon 10.5
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

There is a brownie recipe floating around the baking blogs that has black beans in it.  I think I would try that before the cake.  I have been baking healthier lately but have gone towards using  reducing the fat with applesauce, using canola oil instead of butter etc. 

10.5 - hope the knee gets better

NePaSmoKer

sorry to hear your hurting. hope everything gets better for you.

nepas

Caneyscud

10.5 Wishing for the best for your knee.   Bad knees are not fun. 

For healthier baking, might try some soy flour.  Definitely not a 1 to 1 replacement ratio, and does affect taste, but can be quite good.  My wife and daughter tried one time to make some soy flour brownies with carob and Equal.  They did not eat them, but I thought they were ok.  Recipe definitely needed work, but I thought it had some definite possibilities.  Not like the cheesecake topped brownies that I was tempted with the other night, but possibilities nonetheless.  Years ago, I made a figgy pudding that included tomatoes.  Added a tartness that went well with the whisky infused sauce I served over it.  I looked for the recipe last night, but couldn't find it.  Had a bean pie a couple of times while doing service work for a small church in East Texas.  I thought it was a pumpkin or a sweet potato pie, but it turned out to be beans - quite tasty.  I bet that baked bean cake - a la - Whistleberry Cake has a high probability of tasting better than some of those candied loquat, peanut butter, kiwi/mango with hazelnut blueberry cinnamon icing combinations that seem so popular now in the mags. 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Air

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"