Opinions on a good, manual stuffer?

Started by Doctor Woody, January 20, 2009, 01:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I used the manual hog ring pliers for many years. Got tyred of em slipping so i bought the automatic hog ring pliers. Ya load em like a staple gun. Happy Happy  ;D

nepas

Doctor Woody

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 02, 2009, 05:57:02 PM
I used the manual hog ring pliers for many years. Got tyred of em slipping so i bought the automatic hog ring pliers. Ya load em like a staple gun. Happy Happy  ;D

nepas

When you say automatic, do they have a power source, or are they the kind that Cabela's sell, that you can load the rings into?  That is the kind I just ordered today.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Doctor Woody on February 02, 2009, 06:10:20 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 02, 2009, 05:57:02 PM

nepas

When you say automatic, do they have a power source, or are they the kind that Cabela's sell, that you can load the rings into?  That is the kind I just ordered today.

Right just load the rings into the slide, place casing in the middle, squeeze and presto. they work great.

nepas

Doctor Woody

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 02, 2009, 06:13:13 PM
Right just load the rings into the slide, place casing in the middle, squeeze and presto. they work great.

nepas

Now I see how it works.  Now I am glad I spent a little more money and got one like this.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Doctor Woody on February 03, 2009, 09:27:58 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 02, 2009, 06:13:13 PM

nepas

Now I see how it works.  Now I am glad I spent a little more money and got one like this.

They do make two sizes of rings too. Size 3/8 and 1/2".  I got the box of 1/2 going to get the 3/8 soon.

nepas

Doctor Woody

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 03, 2009, 09:58:15 AM
They do make two sizes of rings too. Size 3/8 and 1/2".  I got the box of 1/2 going to get the 3/8 soon.

nepas

I bought the ones that were offered along with the pliers.  Not sure what size they are.  I'm getting 500 of them, so I hope I'm happy with the size!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Doctor Woody on February 03, 2009, 10:03:03 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 03, 2009, 09:58:15 AM

nepas

I bought the ones that were offered along with the pliers.  Not sure what size they are.  I'm getting 500 of them, so I hope I'm happy with the size!

I did the same. The box i got are 1/2"

nepas

drano

Is this the one you guys have?
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=335
If so, does it take 3 hands?  One to hold the twisted casing in place, and 2 more hands for the handles?
I've been using cheap $5 ones for several years, and they are frustrating--simply made too cheap.  I've been thinking about getting some good spring loaded ones, but maybe I'll go big and get the automatic. 
Thanks
drano

HCT

Dr. Woody, Any idea how much your stuufer weighs? Just wondering, my Grizzly just arrived today, it weighs about 10lbs. I just want to compare.
What special care do you use on the stuffer? Food grade grease on the O ring I guess when not in use. Anything else. The directions on mine really don't say.
Thanks
Mike
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

love the smoke

I am just wondering if both the stuffers that you talked about have the air relief valve on the piston?

LTS
LTS

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: love the smoke on February 05, 2009, 10:46:10 AM
I am just wondering if both the stuffers that you talked about have the air relief valve on the piston?

LTS

Yes most stuffers do. On the lower end stuggers the have a threaded washer type valve with a cap nut.

nepas

HCT

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 05, 2009, 10:59:59 AM

LTS

Yes most stuffers do. On the lower end stuggers the have a threaded washer typ valve with a cap nut.

nepas

That's what the Grizzly has.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

some of the larger hydraulic stuffer have automatic valves. But they are for massive sausage making.

nepas

Doctor Woody

Quote from: HCT on February 05, 2009, 10:22:54 AM
Dr. Woody, Any idea how much your stuufer weighs? Just wondering, my Grizzly just arrived today, it weighs about 10lbs. I just want to compare.
What special care do you use on the stuffer? Food grade grease on the O ring I guess when not in use. Anything else. The directions on mine really don't say.
Thanks
Mike

HCT,

Mine didn't come with care instructions either.  The weight seems to be about 10 lbs also.  I am thinking that the food quality lube is the only thing to be concerned about.  Soap and water for everything else.

Doctor Woody

LTS

LTS,

Mine does.