ICE STORM!!!!

Started by KyNola, January 26, 2009, 08:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

Funny Olds, my daughter is in Miami, she was cold last nite with temps in the 70's. :D :D

Debs, last I heard, about 10" of snow after midnite, mixed with sleet/ freezing rain than all rain at the end.
Your area usually gets hit harder than mine being that you're in the valley. Good luck, be safe. 
I don't mind the plowing, it's the shoveling all the paths for the boys.

Planned on smoking some tasso tomorrow. Maybe, maybe not.
A pot of coffee will be made ahead of time if I loose power. I learned the hard way from the last storm. Just heat it on the wood stove. ;D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

KyNola

As they used to say on the radio, "And the hits just keep on coming"!  No phone service at home, no power at home, huge limb broke part of my privacy fence.  Another landed on my a/c compressor and damaged it.  Don't know how bad but I'm probably not going to need it for a while anyhow. :D The precipitation is now 100% freezing rain and is still coming down.  Supposed to turn to snow later this evening and snow all night.  Weather radar shows solid moisture all the way back to Lubbock Texas and coming our way.  Still, it could be much worse.

For those of you in the path of this storm, it is really moisture laden so expect some significant accumulation when it finally reaches you.

KyNola

pensrock

QuoteFor those of you in the path of this storm, it is really moisture laden so expect some significant accumulation when it finally reaches you.

Thanks for the warning KY, take care.

They changed our forcast from 4-8 to 6-12". It depends on where the snow/ice line ends up. I'd rather have the snow than the ice like you did.
pens

Caribou

Hope you guys are OK.
Don't you just hate it when the weather man is right?
I'm watching your ice storm on the news right now...YIKES!
Carolyn

La Quinta

Take care Ky...and everyone else this storm is going to hit...can't even imagine what that may be like...keep us posted on how ya'll are doin...

LQ

FLBentRider

Take care KyNola, that stuff all melts eventually!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

iceman

That freezing rain is horrible. We had some a few weeks ago down in Wasilla and it shut roads down for a few days. Just a mild minus 45 at work right now. No rain though  :D

HCT

Hey Debs, how you holding up? We got about 5" of snow, now it's freezing rain, snow, sleet and whatever you want to add. :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

About the same here.  Started changing to rain about the time you posted but I don't think it lasted long.  Nowhere near what they predicted unless it starts again.  Enough to cancel school.  I haven't been out so I don't know how the roads are. 

Hope KyNola is ok.   I haven't seen any posts from him yet, but haven't been through everything.  Taking a quick break & then back to work. 

pensrock

I just got in from cleaning the driveway. We got about six inches total, over half was sleet/ice mix. Makes shoveling very heavy! It's still coming down right now, but now its more snow than sleet. Interstate 80 is closed near here, I guess there are trucks stuck in both lanes and the plows cannot get through. The wind is really picking up now, I hope that is a sign that its about over? Can we be that lucky? This morning when I left for work it was sleet/ice mix, not a fun drive up the mountian to work. Wasn't much better coming home either, took about twice as long. At least we did not lose power, knock on wood..... ouch it hurts knocking on your own head.  ;D

Ky, hope everything is ok.
Deb, HCT, NEPAS, it hasn't stopped here yet so you most likely have more to look forward to.

deb415611

Quote from: pensrock on January 28, 2009, 01:55:38 PM
IDeb, HCT, NEPAS, it hasn't stopped here yet so you most likely have more to look forward to.

No need to share Pens, you are welcome to keep it there

KyNola

Hey guys.  Made it to the office today for a short time.  Starting the 5th day with no power.  House is warm thanks to gas logs and can cook on our gas stove.  My roof has 3 holes in it but they are patched.  Should get up in the mid 40's today and melt the majority of the ice.  Gasoline, kerosene, ice and in some communities water are all valuable commodities right now.  The folks in the outlying counties are really in a mess.  They have had to post police at the gas stations that are open to prevent the fights that have been breaking out.  Some of the rural communities have no potable water and that means no sewage either.

Jan and I are fine.  We are merely inconvenienced compared to thousands of others.  Please pray for those folks.  I am able to receive emails and PM's via my blackberry.  Verizon has been kick ass through all of this.  AT&T has really sucked.

All of you take care.  I will have lots of smoking to do when we do get up and running again as my freezer can't hold the temp any longer.

KyNola   

pensrock

Take care KY. Its good to hear you and Jan are ok. Hope the power gets restored quickly.
When that storm came through PA we were told it would be mostly snow but we got about three inches of sleet/freezing rain mix and a coouple inches of snow. We were very lucky that we had little freezing rain. Now we are being told a major storm is coming up the coast and to watch for 12-18" sometime Tuesday-Wed. I would rather deal with that then what you went through.
pens

deb415611

KY,

It's good to hear you & Jan are ok.  Will continue to send good thoughts down your way.

Deb

Smoking Duck

KY,

So glad to hear you're doing okay!  Been wondering how you've been getting along.  I too will send some good thoughts for the folks down there.

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra