ICE STORM!!!!

Started by KyNola, January 26, 2009, 08:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

You  know it's not going to be good when Jim Cantore with The Weather Channel comes to your town to report on the weather conditions LIVE!!!  He is just a few blocks away from my house reporting the ice storm that is coming right through us.  It's not all that cold, 27 F and that's not good for freezing rain.  Some of the weather computer models are saying 2 inches of ice and then snow tomorrow evening.  Ice storms here are devastating, power outages pretty much guaranteed.  Not a problem for me as I have gas logs to heat the house, a gas stove to cook and a freezer full of smoked goodies to eat but it can be really tough on some folks as we truly aren't equipped for this kind of weather. 

I know a bunch of you have much worse weather conditions as a regular winter day but in Paducah KY, not so much. >:(

We'll be fine but I'll bet you you can't find a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk in a grocery around here.  :D  :D

KyNola

Smokin Soon

Kynola, I am a midwest guy before moving to Ca, I have never heard of ice storms in Ky. I have friends in Galscow, and Bowling Green. Is this common?

Mr Walleye

Ouch!  Good Luck KyNola.

Ice storms are ice storms! They are nasty!

Our winters are nasty cold sometimes... lots of blizzards and blowing snow but usually no ice storms, although we do get freezing rain.

Glad ya got things ready and wish you all the luck.  ;)

Keep us posted.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

SS,
Looks like this is pretty much going to blanket KY.  Bowling Green is definitely going to be impacted.  I'm within an hour or so of BG.  Glasgow will be whacked as well.  Ice storms are somewhat rare but have happened more frequently over the last few years.  I'm fairly certain it's Al Gore's fault.

Thanks Mike, we'll be fine.

Stuck my head out a few minutes ago.  It is absolutely pouring down ice, not pouring down rain.  Amazing.

KyNola

pensrock

Take care KY. I've been through a few ice storms myself. Not two inches of ice!
Hope the power stays on although if you get that much ice it will be unlikely.

That storm is supposed to begin impacting us tonight and into tomorrow, I think it is supposed to be all snow, lucky for us..... another 6-8", but thats a lot better than 2" of ice.
pens

Habanero Smoker

You described it as coming down as ice, so it sounds more like sleet to me. If you are talking about freezing rain, and not sleet; then 1/2" of freezing rain can be devastating. Just before Christmas we had an ice storm, and the areas that got 1/4" to 1/2" lost power for several days, due to downed power lines over a massive area. I hope that you and your state are spared the problems that come with freezing rain.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

KY, be safe, some of it is heading my way.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

Take care KyNola!  Ice storms can be awful.  Give me snow anyday.

I guess I better watch the weather based on HCT's post.  I thought we were getting snow here but then the weather can be very different between where HCT & I are located even though we are  probably only an hour apart. 

Caribou

Keep safe and warm Kynola!
Hopefully all of the warm thoughts we send you will help melt the ice!
Our area had an ice storm in 1996 that is still refered to around here as The Ice Storm.
It snowed all day then iced a few inches on top of the snow.
People with generators suddenly became very popular.
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Be safe Ky

Supposed to hit us like pens said tonie and tomorrow. 4-10" for us here in the pocono's

nepas

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Good morning,
Still have power at this point but it has begun to flicker at times.  Overnight the precip waffled back and forth between sleet as Habs pointed out and freezing rain.  Supposed to continue pretty much throughout the day until it turns into snow this afternoon.

Hanging in there.  So far so good.  Thanks for all of your warm wishes!

KyNola

Smoking Duck

Take care of yourself, my friend!  If you do lose power and need to go somewhere, I'm a little distance away but mi casa es su casa.  You and Jan can come on up and stay right through the Super Bowl......we're having a smokeout anyways and the more, the merrier!

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caneyscud

Hey Ky

Hate to say it but I'm glad for now it is staying up there.  Remember the '94 ICE STORM well and don't want to go through that again.  It looks as though ya'll are getting a pretty good pounding.  We are right on the line - Freezing, but pouring rain so no ice build up to speak of except of some in the hollers up north of town.   Heck even our schools aren't closed and that is extremely surprising as they usually close at the first mention of a snowflake.  Thoughts are with you, stay warm and stay off the roads if you can - best to let the idiots do their imitation of ice skaters before you get out!  I think we are supposed to get an inch or two of snow tomorrow.  Danged and here I am without any milk in the fridge.   ;D

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Oldman

Hate to say it but we are running the A/C today.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!