• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Chorizo

Started by Mr Walleye, February 16, 2009, 06:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

This weekend I made a batch of Chorizo with mixed results. I used the recipe from Retyk Kutas's book. The only thing I did different was I used 60% pork and 40% venison.

The sausage tastes and looks good but it has a drier texture than I would have liked. I also feel the vinegar in the recipe broke down the meat. I'm not sure that I'm correct or not though. The sausage seems to have good fat content in it and it wasn't rendered out.

Any thoughts?

Here is the recipe I used...

10 lbs meat (60% pork and 40% venison)
4 Tb salt
1 cup white vinegar
5 Tb paprika
3 Tb cayenne
3 Tb garlic powder
1 Tb oregano
2 tsp course black pepper
1 cup water

Mike

ps
I also added 1.5 cups crumb as a binder as well.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

Mike, I really love the flavor of white vinegar in many sausages. Might just be missing the binder factor of Soy Protein or lowfat skim powder. Some of the stuff I have done needs a second grind through a fine plate to give it a really nice texture. Have not done too much with venison lately though.

NePaSmoKer

Mike

Try white or red wine vinegar.

nepas

Mr Walleye

I missed adding the binder in the above post. Although the recipe didn't call for a binder I did use 1.5 cups of crumb in it.

Mike

Smoking Duck

I was thinking the same thing......maybe some whey powder.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 16, 2009, 06:52:20 PM
Mike

Try white or red wine vinegar.

nepas

I like the idea of the red wine vinegar NePas. I hadn't given that any thought.

Thanks
Mike

La Quinta

I use red wine vinegar in my chorizo...it adds a subtle flavor...not as "harsh" as white. A little sweeter. Next batch I'm going to try half balsamic half red wine...if it's too sweet...ok...but I wanna try it...

Habanero Smoker

Hi Mike;

Like others I use either red wine vinegar or red wine. The 40% venison may have made the sausage too lean. Pork butts have a lot of fat, but for Chorizo I also add additional pork fat, depending on what pork cut I use and how well it has been trimmed. I usually trim the pork of outer fat to see how much I have then will add any additional fat to bring it up to 20% - 25% fat. So for 10 pounds of sausage, I use 2 pounds of fat, and 8 pounds of meat. Or you can use Soy Protein Concentrate to give it moisture. For 10 pounds of meat, you will need to use 5 ounces of Soy.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 17, 2009, 01:56:50 AM
Hi Mike;

Like others I use either red wine vinegar or red wine. The 40% venison may have made the sausage too lean. Pork butts have a lot of fat, but for Chorizo I also add additional pork fat, depending on what pork cut I use and how well it has been trimmed. I usually trim the pork of outer fat to see how much I have then will add any additional fat to bring it up to 20% - 25% fat. So for 10 pounds of sausage, I use 2 pounds of fat, and 8 pounds of meat. Or you can use Soy Protein Concentrate to give it moisture. For 10 pounds of meat, you will need to use 5 ounces of Soy.

Thanks Habs

The pork I used was 80/20. Certainly it's conceivable that when mixed 60% pork and 40% venison it might have been a shade lean. The sausage is good, slices nice, etc. It's just a little dry in the mouth... if that makes sense.

Mike

Habanero Smoker

When making a particular type of sausage for the first time, it can be hard to pin the problem down. I think I know what you mean about the dryness, and when my sausage turns out like that it is either I didn't add enough fat or it rendered out. Then too, the vinegar can definitely change the texture of the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Father Tom

Mike

I have found that bread crumbs soak up any of the juices, fats, etc and make the sausages a bit dryier than i like.  As Habs stated you need a lot of fat in Chorizo.  As a matter of fact a good Mexican Chorizo uses lard as a filler. (My Doctor dosen't know).

Good luck

Tom

Mr Walleye

Thanks guys. I think next time I will increase the fat content and see how it goes from there. It's not that it's that bad, in fact fairly tasty but I'm always looking to improve anything in any way I can.

Thanks again
Mike

stillsmoking

Mr Walleye, I have been on a chorizo quest for a good many years now.  I would agree with the others that red wine vinegar or red wine is a good way to go.  I also like to use smoked paprika and fresh garlic cloves.  Having said all that, I prefer Baque chorizo and have not as yet been able to create a chorizo that I thought was perfect.  Have had a lot of good sausage along the way though.  The venison/pork mixture would take some experimentation but I sure would love to sample your "mistakes".

Mr Walleye

Thanks StillSmoking

I still have about 40 or 50 lbs of venison so I'll definitely be doing some more experimenting. Right now I'm thinking I will boost the fat content by about 10% and change the white vinegar to either red wine or red wine vinegar. I think I'm leaning towards the red wine though, I just like the idea.

I think that's what makes "making sausage" so great... even the not so perfect projects are better than anything store bought! And of course the quest for perfection!  ;)

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Fresh Chorizo makes10 lbs. This chorizo is not smoked.

7 lbs lean meat
1 1/2 lbs pork butt
1 1/2 lbs pork fat
4 T salt
2 T Spanish paprika (or smoked)
3 T cayenne pepper
2 T black pepper, 1/4 of it crushed
3 T garlic granules
1 T oregano (Spanish if you can get it)
1/4 cup powdered dextrose
1/3 cup red or white wine vinegar
2/3 cup chilled distilled water
32 to 36mm hog casings (opt) soaked and rinsed.

1. Grind all meats through a med plate 1 time.
2. Mix all dry ingredients with the water, whisk well. This will make sure the spice is evenly distributed into the meat when mixing.
3. Mix meat and water/spice slurry together in a large bowl or meat tub. Mix well for 5 minutes.
4. Stuff meat into casing making 6" links or make into 6" patties. Refrigerate or double wrap and freeze.

If you would like to make this with venison eliminate the pork butt and pork fat, And use 8 1/2 lbs venison and 1 1/2 lbs of beef fat.

I use chilled distilled water in my sausage.

nepas