1/8 cup black pepper
3 Tblsp kosher salt
1 Tblsp thyme
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp cure
1/2 cup cold distilled water

Dry ingredients

pork cut into pieces.

Dry mixed with the water. Pour onto meat and mix well. Wrap meat mix in plastic wrap very tight.

Wrapped. Let this sit in fridge for 2 days.

I have a vid of this i will be posting to my blog later tonite.

nepas

KyNola

NePaS,
You are killing me here.  You KNOW that is the sausage that I want to make first.  As I don't have access to cure #1, how much Morton's TQ would you recommend, eliminating the salt from your recipe?

Also, smoking temps, times and what would you take the IT to?

You are so torturing me.

KyNola

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on March 05, 2009, 06:18:28 PM
NePaS,
You are killing me here.  You KNOW that is the sausage that I want to make first.  As I don't have access to cure #1, how much Morton's TQ would you recommend, eliminating the salt from your recipe?

Also, smoking temps, times and what would you take the IT to?

You are so torturing me.

KyNola

Ky

Leve out the salt and 5 Tblsp of TQ.

Going to start it at 130* for 2 hrs then bump to 165* for 2.5 hrs until the IT of the sausage is at 155*. When i get this in the grinding stage i am going to add 1/8 cup powdered milk as a binder.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

I'm uploading my Andouille vid to my blog now. Going to be a few mins.

nepas

KyNola

NePaS,
Thank you my friend.  I was leaning towards the 1 TBLSP per pound of meat for MTQ but wanted to be certain.  The first temp at 130, I assume you are rolling no smoke at that time, correct?  Smoke rolling only during the higher setting?  Gonna have to get me a programmable PID, I can see that even though I have the BDS.

Looking forward to the video.  Your blog is really informative.

KyNola

La Quinta

Thanks NePas....very informative stuff...appreciate it!!  ;)

NePaSmoKer

Ky

After i stuff it i am going to hang the links in the fridge overnight so the casing will get dry. This way they will take smoke better. I'm starting the smoke at the 130* and continuing into the 165* mark.

nepas

KyNola

Another great tip.  Thanks NePaS, and you are correct.  If you were closer to me, we would have a lot of fun making gumbo, Jan's red beans & rice, smoking andouille and tasso and generally just tearing it up! :o :o :o

KyNola

Ka Honu

Nepas - This is sort of a repost (the original apparently got lost in the great reboot of '09).  Anyway, I've decided that I don't like you very much because I'd already decided not to get into sausage making - didn't want to mess with all the paraphernalia, curing, etc., and then you come up and slap me in the face with Andouille.  How rude!  Now what am I gonna do? 

I just used the last of my very expensive Andouille to make gumbo (increase the cost per link by its share of the airfare from Honolulu to New Orleans and you'll see what I mean).  Now I'm out of luck till April when I go on my annual "party at JazzFest and buy lots of Tasso and Andouille" trip. I still have enough Tasso for one dish (probably Paul Prudhomme's chicken & tasso) but now have the hungries for Andouille and it's all your fault.

Wait a minute.  I've got it!  You can send me a batch of yours every once in a while and I'll be happy and I'll like you again - what more could you want?  That's the ticket!  I can hardly wait (and merci beaucoup in advance).

ps - Please send it early in the week.  UPS & FedEx don't deliver on weekends and I wouldn't want it sitting in their warehouse tempting good people to do bad things.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Ka Honu on March 05, 2009, 07:14:00 PM
Nepas - This is sort of a repost (the original apparently got lost in the great reboot of '09).  Anyway, I've decided that I don't like you very much because I'd already decided not to get into sausage making - didn't want to mess with all the paraphernalia, curing, etc., and then you come up and slap me in the face with Andouille.  How rude!  Now what am I gonna do? 

I just used the last of my very expensive Andouille to make gumbo (increase the cost per link by its share of the airfare from Honolulu to New Orleans and you'll see what I mean).  Now I'm out of luck till April when I go on my annual "party at JazzFest and buy lots of Tasso and Andouille" trip. I still have enough Tasso for one dish (probably Paul Prudhomme's chicken & tasso) but now have the hungries for Andouille and it's all your fault.

Wait a minute.  I've got it!  You can send me a batch of yours every once in a while and I'll be happy and I'll like you again - what more could you want?  That's the ticket!  I can hardly wait (and merci beaucoup in advance).

ps - Please send it early in the week.  UPS & FedEx don't deliver on weekends and I wouldn't want it sitting in their warehouse tempting good people to do bad things.

Wow

Someone else dont like me.

My luck gets better everyday

nepas

Ka Honu

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 05, 2009, 07:24:55 PM... Someone else dont like me. My luck gets better everyday

Yeah - what's the good of getting old if you can't get cranky and offend people?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: KyNola on March 05, 2009, 06:45:42 PM
NePaS,
Thank you my friend.  I was leaning towards the 1 TBLSP per pound of meat for MTQ but wanted to be certain.  The first temp at 130, I assume you are rolling no smoke at that time, correct?  Smoke rolling only during the higher setting?  Gonna have to get me a programmable PID, I can see that even though I have the BDS.

Looking forward to the video.  Your blog is really informative.

KyNola

KyNola

With Morton TQ the 1 Tbs per pound was my understanding as well but Habs set me straight in it. For in sausage TQ is used at the rate of 1 & 1/2 tsp per pound. I just tried to find the thread but I haven't been able to locate it. Hopefully Habs will comment on it as well. I did check the Morton site and all their sausage recipes use the 1 & 1/2 tsp per pound as well.

I think where all the miss-information comes from is their own packaging. The other thing is the TQ is used at the rate of 1 Tbs per pound for dry curing whole muscle meat such as a pork loan for bacon.

Mike

PS
Here's a link to Hab's explanation....
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5463.msg95547#msg95547

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

As Mike has stated, for TQ use it at a rate of 1 1/2 teaspoons (1/2 tablespoon) per pound, and eliminate the salt and sugar that a recipe calls for. That will provide enough cure for protection, and the correct amount of salt.

This time of morning I have to double check what I am writing, half asleep and typing fast I sometimes make the mistake and say 1/2 teaspoon per pound, when it is 1/2 tablespoon per pound. :-[

Just finished proof reading; everything is correct :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

True to all this. My chart is older and it calls for 1 T per pnd. Mike and Habs are correct use 1 to 1/2 tsp per pnd. Guess i need a new chart. The TQ thing always gets me messed up, thats why i use cure.

nepas

KyNola

Thanks for the info regarding the MTQ guys!

KyNola