Pork ribs w pic

Started by humpa, January 17, 2005, 05:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humpa

Pork ribs anyone? After the usual prep stuff, like removing the membrane , I put my homemade rub on them for 12 hours in the refridgerator. At 5AM I took them out and air dried them and brought them to room temp. I fired the smoker around 6 and let it warm up to operating temp(205deg). Then I put some bacon directly on them,and gave em a sprinkle of Montreal seasoning(steak). At 7AM they went in and I smoked with pecan until 11:00. Then I opened the smoker, changed the water and added some potatos. At 3:00PM the internal temp was 175 and then stalled and fell to 171 for an hour.(rendering time I guess) Then the temp slowly made it to 185 when I did the FTC thing. That was around 5PM. Pulled them out at 6:30 and dove in...OMG...delicious and moist. I didn't even use BBQ sauce because they tasted too good all by themselves. LOW AND SLOW is the only way to cook and I must thank everyone in this forum for all their ideas and help. BTW, the bacon actually cooked enough that we ate it. Next project is Boston Butt. Should I try cooking it to carve it for supper or make bacon with it. Any ideas???????[:p]

Hey Doc...I'm down to 2 racks a day!!!

BigSmoker

humpa,
How 'bout some pulled pork with that boston butt.  Slow cook it with your choice of rub at 225°f until internal is 195-200°f.  FTC for 2 hrs then pull with hands.  Good stuff[;)].  If you want bacon try a pork loin or tenderloin.  Look under the cured meat for Mallard Wacker's maple or jalepeno threads.  Have fun.  Ribs look fantastic.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Humpa,

You little booger you, that LOOKS GREAT!,  Hows the taters?  I know what you mean about the bacon, if you ever try abt's, make sure place enough bacon across the top of them so you can have some to eat after you get done cooking them.  Yoww~Zaaa, now thats great tasting bacon.  But as far as your butt, I would use it for pulled pork, to me that is what the butt is best for.  Now lets talk BACON[:p], if you are interested in making a cured type bacon product I would use a pork loin for that.  The link below has everything you would need to know about doing that.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask..... MAN, I LOVE TO MAKE BACON!!!  Aso under curing you find to recipes for flavored bacon, Maple and Jalepeno, these turned out great.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=451

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

humpa

MW..taters were a little overdone, but neverless good tasting. I just made some toast, spread some BBQ sauce on both pieces, cut some pork off the ribs and warmed it in the microwave for 15 seconds, WOW!!!!!Great lunch! OK now, it looks like a pulled pork project is in the works. I really appreciate all the help here, and I will let you know how it came out.
   BigSmoker....I'm doing that for next Sundays playoff game(GO PATRIOTS) Pulled pork tailgate party.
                                    Thanks All!!!!

JJC

Hi Ernie,

Yeah, gotta love those Pats. And speaking of great minds thinking alike, I just bought a Boston Butt from my local store to make pulled pork with a la BigSmoker's recipe.  In fact, I ordered some super-sounding rubs from him and will be trying the Dizzy Pig Dust first on the butt.  Let's compare notes on how we do our first time out with pulled pork . . .[:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

humpa

OK now....New question is....When is curing needed if it is cooked to 167 deg or more? Even bacon is pulled at 140 but recooked until crisp. Maybe marinate with better additives could add flavor that I really like. (garlic onions and herbs) Anyone here have a simple rule for curing or marinating? Now I'm really confused.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by humpa</i>
<br />OK now....New question is....When is curing needed if it is cooked to 167 deg or more? Even bacon is pulled at 140 but recooked until crisp. Maybe marinate with better additives could add flavor that I really like. (garlic onions and herbs) Anyone here have a simple rule for curing or marinating? Now I'm really confused.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

A cure is used as a way to preserve food by the use of a curing agent(nitrates or salt or I guess both).  The cure will turn the meat pink in color.  It can then be partially or fully cooked/smoked.  Ham, canadian bacon, regular bacon are all cured.  A marinade is used to enhance the flavor of food and sometimes to help tenderize a cut of meat.  HTH.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

humpa

BigSmoker.....
   Isn't it true that all meat that stays in the danger zone for 3+ hours should be cured? Another question is- Can I safely cook a 20# turkey without curing it at 210 deg, knowing that maybe 5 hours of cook time will be between 40-140 deg. Will the final temp kill that bad bacteria? I bought the book finally but haven't got it yet. That will probably answer a lot of questions for me. Hopefully then, I can help out other members also.............Thanks....

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by humpa</i>
<br />BigSmoker.....
   Isn't it true that all meat that stays in the danger zone for 3+ hours should be cured? Another question is- Can I safely cook a 20# turkey without curing it at 210 deg, knowing that maybe 5 hours of cook time will be between 40-140 deg. Will the final temp kill that bad bacteria?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm no expert on this subject.  I think some of the other guys can help both of us out.  I know we have discussed this somewhat but not sure exactly what was decided(maybe I'm the one getting Old[:(]).
I regularly cook Boston butt and Brisket for 12-20 hrs without curing.  My finishing temp for BB is 195-200°f and my finishing temp for brisket is 185°f.  I've never gotten sick.  I brine my turkeys but not usually my chickens which I normally spatchcock.  The only things I have cured was bologna, pork loin and tenderloins which the finishing temps were 150°f-156°f all on long cooks of 18-24 hrs.  Lots of help aren't I[:D].

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

humpa

Thanks Jeff......I'm doing research right now and I'll let you know what I find.

humpa

<font color="red">Everyone please read this....It will explain in detail all about curing and brining.</font id="red">
http://www.cookshack.com/barbeque_guide/101/Brining101.htm  
 I think you find this very educational....

JJC

Hi All,

Habanero and I are preparing a Curing and Brining section for the Newbie/FAQ board that Olds is engineering.  It should be up on the board  within the next day or two, but anyone who wants a preview can e-mail me off-Forum and I'll be happy to send it.

This section draws on several very reputable sources, including Harold McGee, a noted food science authority, the FDA, USDA, the University of Georgia's excellent science department, and others.

The cookshack link is, IMHO, rather flawed and incomplete. For example, if safety is your main concern, then you shouldn't reduce the salt concentration of your brine, but you may reduce the time . . . there are a number of other problematic statements.  It's not that what they're saying there is incorrect, it's just not presented in a context-specific way, so it might be confusing to many people.

The basic response to the questions raised on this thread depends on a  few variables.  For example, achieving temps of 160-165F will definitely kill all pathogenic microbes that are exposed to that temp.  That's why even ground meat--the potentially most hazardous form of meat--should be cooked to 165F IF SAFETY IS YOUR PRIMARY CONCERN.  The FDA clearly states that heating to high temps should not be used to try and "rescue" meat that is thought to be spoiled.  However, inspected meat that is purchased from a reputable store (and that is &gt;95% of the meat purchased today) should not have any contaminating bacteria other than on the cut surfaces of the meat.  In other words, properly raised, butchered, handled, and inspected meat is healthy and  will not have bacteria or other harmful microbes in its flesh--only the possible introduction of bacteria to the cut surfaces is possible.  If meat is properly refrigerated (below 40F, bugs can't grow).  Given the above statements, and the known growth rate of harmful bacteria, the rule of thumb is that meat should not spend more than four hours in the danger zone unless it has been cure brined (i.e., at least 15% salt, weight/voume for an hour or more), which is 1/2 cup per quart or 150g/L), OR it has been exposed to temps above 180F long enough to achieve a temp of at least 160F 1/2 inch below the surface.  All of the above pertains to SAFETY considerations.  Cure brining also confers additional flavor, moisture, and tenderizing advantages, but safety needs to be the first consideration.  

Bottom line: if meat is not cured in some way, it must reach an internal temp of at least 160-165F to be safe if it is to remain in the danger zone (40-140F) for more than 4 hr.  If meat is going to be cooked to a final internal temp of 165F+, it does not need to cured for safety purposes, but may benefit from a cure process for other reasons.  There are also cooling guidelines that are just as important as the heating guidelines, and these are covered in the Curing and Brining section as well.

Hope this helps . . .[:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

John is giving me much too much credit. I am just reading John's write, and made a few comments.

John, I sent it to you about an hour ago. Let me know if you got the attachment. I was having problems attaching the document.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />John is giving me much too much credit. I am just reading John's write, and made a few comments.

John, I sent it to you about an hour ago. Let me know if you got the attachment. I was having problems attaching the document.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Habanero,

Your comments really added a lot to the piece.  I've sent it to Olds, and knowing him it will be up on the new board at the crack of Noon [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

humpa

You guys are incredible !!! Now I'm speechless________________