Lake Whitefish

Started by unclebuck, March 14, 2009, 09:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unclebuck

A commercial fisherman friend has promised me a dozen or so whitefish when he comes off the lake today.  I haven't smoked whites for some time, so I am looking forward to doing them up.  It is my first attempt with my Bradley.  Whole whites, $2.00 cash per fish, average around 4/5 lbs.  If any of you are familiar with northeastern Alberta, they are out of Beaver Lake, just outside of Lac La Biche, one of the best lakes in the area for clean whites.  I will let you know how they turn out.  They should be done by Sunday evening, possibly in time for supper.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Gizmo

Don't forget to gives us the details on how they come out.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

unclebuck

The whitefish were exceptional, large and quite fat!!  Got them cleaned up and brined them for 18 hrs.  Let them sit for 4 hrs to form the pellicle, then put them in the smoker for 4 hrs @ 180, putting the smoke(apple & pecan alternately)to them for the last 2 hrs.  The result is a very moist product that complements a few Kokanee and friends quite well!!! ;)

6 large whitefish dressed, scaled & split(remove belly fat)rinsed in salt water to remove remainder of slime
         3 gallons filtered water
         1 cup uniodized salt or Kosher salt
         3/4 cup soy sauce
         1/2 cup demarara sugar
         2 tbsp crushed garlic
         1 tbsp onion granules
         crushed dillweed(optional-personal tastes)

Submerge fish in brine for 18 hrs, remove to dry to form pellicle, put into Bradley smoker for 4 hrs @ 180F and smoke for the       last 2 hours, longer if you like a smokier flavour.  Alder, apple, maple, cherry, or pecan work well, singularly or in combination.

what can't be smoked can't be eaten

bfnish

Is that common to smoke the whitefish the last two hours versus the first two hours?