Cheese & pepperoni

Started by pensrock, March 15, 2009, 07:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Smoked some cheese and pepperoni yesterday. Now for the two week wait.

Top shelf is 'Cooper Sharp' 5 pounds
Middle shelf is 'Pepper Jack' 5 pounds
Bottom shelf is 'Hormel Pepperoni' 2 sticks

Loaded up, cold smoke box connected, 50 degrees outside, ready to start.

Ready to come out after smoking with apple for three hours.

Cooling to room temperature, ready to be wrapped in plastic wrap and put into the fridge.

Mr Walleye

Mmmm... Looks great Pens!  8)

Now the hard part... waiting....  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Up In Smoke

Dang, now i gotta go to the store!
looks awesome pens....never thought of smoking pepperoni,
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

KyNola

Looking good Pens!  I never thought of smoking pepperoni either.  Tell me about smoked pepperoni.  Different uses, etc.

KyNola

pensrock

Smoked pepperoni is great! I pretty much only use hormel, everyone loves it. Sometimes pepperoni has a sharpness to it when eaten raw, the smoking takes that away and mellows it out. I mainly only used it with cheese and crackers till one time I was making a pizza and had no plain pepperoni, so I used the smoked. I'll never use regular pepperoni on pizza again. Wow what a difference! I allow it to rest and mellow like the cheese. I would say a good week and its ready to go. I did smoke an itialian brand of pepperoni for a friend, it was good but IMHO not nearly as good as the Hormel. I'm not sure if it can be purchased all over, but that is all I use.

pensrock

QuoteNow the hard part... waiting.... 

Mike

Harder yet, is I plan to take some the the smokeout in June. How on earth am I going to keep a couple pounds hidden away till then?  ???  ;)

deb415611

Quote from: pensrock on March 15, 2009, 01:11:30 PM

Mike

Harder yet, is I plan to take some the the smokeout in June. How on earth am I going to keep a couple pounds hidden away till then?  ???  ;)

Send it to me.  I have will power.  I will bring it down to the smokeout with me! ;D ;D

pensrock

Ummmm, yea right!  ;) ;D ;D

You almost had me there Deb.  :)

KyNola

Thanks Pens.  Definitely gonna have to give the smoked pepperoni a shot.  Sounds really good.

KyNola

NePaSmoKer

WOWSERS

pens i can smell the cheese and pepperoni all the way from Atlanta  ;D

Looks great

nepas

Roadking

pensrock,
I like the cold smoke adapter you have. What was the cabinet temperature while you were smoking?

I just did cheese a week ago with just the SG and it was 81° inside the cabinet, that's with constent monitoring every 20-30 minutes.

Cheese & pepperoni looks good.

pensrock

QuoteWhat was the cabinet temperature while you were smoking?

The outside temps were 50-60 F, the cabient was around 80 F. This is probably warmer than if I had used the Bradley smoke generator, but this time I wanted to try a hot plate with wood chips. I put the hot plate and pan containing the wood chips into my cold smoke box and let it go. I had to add wood twice but it worked out great.

carnie1

Quote from: deb415611 on March 15, 2009, 01:15:16 PM
Quote from: pensrock on March 15, 2009, 01:11:30 PM

Mike

Send it to me.  I have will power.  I will bring it down to the smokeout with me! ;D ;D
I think you should send some to me when I get back north since I am the closest to NePa's , I'll keep a good eye on it for you,  Casper says he will watch it for you too, Pepperoni looks good ( I have some here that I did from scratch but have not cut it yet to see how it turned out)  ;D

Roadking

Quote from: pensrock on March 16, 2009, 01:22:03 PM
The outside temps were 50-60 F, the cabient was around 80 F. This is probably warmer than if I had used the Bradley smoke generator, but this time I wanted to try a hot plate with wood chips. I put the hot plate and pan containing the wood chips into my cold smoke box and let it go. I had to add wood twice but it worked out great.
Thats actually pretty good. IF the duct is doubled or triple in length the smoke will cool down even more. When I had my walk in smokers my fire box was 35 feet away from the smoke houses.

Quote from: carnie1 on March 16, 2009, 01:35:33 PM
I think you should send some to me when I get back north since I am the closest to NePa's , I'll keep a good eye on it for you,  Casper says he will watch it for you too, Pepperoni looks good ( I have some here that I did from scratch but have not cut it yet to see how it turned out)  ;D
carnie1, where are you located, I'm a hop, skip and a jump (Lakewood, N.J.) from Nepas.

pensrock

That is true, by adding more legnth to the ducting it will cool more. Are you going to be at the smokeout that Nepas is having in June?