• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Trimming Brisket

Started by JDNC, March 18, 2009, 03:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

Ok, guys...while looking at pickling some sausage I've also been reading again on the Brisket thing.  I will have one for the week-end for sure, but I'm somewhat confused about trimming.  I will probably get a packer but don't really understand what the fat ribbon is. In the pic's I've seen it looks as a small section of lean is seperated from the flat.  I understand about trimming some of the fat cap, but don't get the ribbon thing.  For that matter do you have to trim this ribbon at all?

One thing for sure, I didn't mix up Pachanga's rub for nothing...there's going to be brisket in the BS this week-end for sure!

KyNola

JDNC,
Go out to the recipe website and find WestTexasSmoker's recipe for doing a brisket.  In there is a tutorial on how to trim a brisket and it has good explanations and instructions on the fat ribbon.

The recipe website address is www.susanminor.org

KyNola

Caneyscud

Done did both ways and both ways are good.  In past usually just unwrapped, rubbed, and put that baby into the smoker.  Did one trimmed the WTS way a few weeks ago and I was actually surprised at how moist and tasty it turned out - guess the Bradley helps out in that respect very well.  I will probably do them that way in the Bradley from now on - less mass is less time also - but there is nothing wrong in doing them untrimmed in the Bradley.  In my stickburners, I think I will leave them untrimmed - probably need that extra moistness.  Besides when you are slicing one up it sure is nice to "sample' some of that smokey goodness as you trim it off.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

JDNC

Ky, I read the WTS recipe but didn't understand exactly what this ribbon was.  I first thought from the pic's that the ribbon was what he had pulled back..but think now it must have been just a ribbon of fat that was removed from between the two strands of muscle.  Is this correct?

Caneyscud, I really didn't think it would make much diff, but just wanted someone to confirm.

Thanks, JD

Caneyscud

Quote from: JDNC on March 18, 2009, 10:32:17 AM
Ky, I read the WTS recipe but didn't understand exactly what this ribbon was.  I first thought from the pic's that the ribbon was what he had pulled back..but think now it must have been just a ribbon of fat that was removed from between the two strands of muscle.  Is this correct?

That be it!   Sometimes it ain't no ribbon, it's a hunk!  I usually cut it out, but after smoking - it's never totally rendered out!  Used to just leave it in, but in my ummmm.... enlightened (i.e. lower fat) age - that has changed!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire

KyNola

JDNC,
My learned friend Caney has already confirmed what you had asked me.  It is indeed a ribbon of fat between the two strands of musle.

Enjoy, my friend.
KyNola 

Caneyscud

Sorry KY,  I'm doing anything I can to delay cleaning up my office!  Danged, I won't be able to find anything if I do!

JDNC

Thank you both for the input.  Well..I went to Wal-mart and found a packer (select grade but all they had) of 18lbs and cut the sucker in half.  One part avg about 2 inches thick.. the other about 3.  The fat cap wasn't too thick and I trimmed it to about 1/8-1/4 inch.  Now as for this fat ribbon...like Caney says.. it was a hunk!  I trimmed it out the best I could and most of the fat on the bottom side, as I don't think the fat on the bottom is much good for basting anyway(unless it's over the other part of brisket).  I haven't weighed each part yet but guess that the largest part I need to put toward the bottom of the smoker with the temp probe.

Do you think I should take these out and boat them in the oven due to the select grade or do you think I could just finish in the smoker, which I prefer as I don't like moving things around (lazy)?  Am I on track?

JDNC

Oh yeh..one other thing.. how long do you think I should apply smoke and also if I need to boat these babies when should I take out and boat?

JD

Gizmo

To boat or not to boat is a choice and in MHO has nothing to do with grade.  Boat and non boat both will produce good results.  I always boat but that is because I am lazy and find this to be easier. 

I also cut my packers in half where the thickness starts to increase.  That way they fit on the racks and each piece (now as a whole) cook a little more evenly.

For me,
I always put 4 hours of smoke and after the smoke, boat, a little liquid, lid and go to an IT of 185 deg.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

JDNC

Gizmo,  The reason I asked in reference to grade of the meat is I read somewhere where someone had a bad experience with a brisket and grades come up in the replies.  I live near (15 min) from meat packing house and probably could have purchased a better grade, but...I don't know..I didn't.  Do I need to worry about the grade of brisket in the future or does it make that much diff.  I know it does in price!

You can't be more lazy than me....I'm so lazy I don't want to remove the racks and mess with the pans, alu foil, the temp probe thingy's....I do chew my own food though!  I just wondered if there was a big diff in tenderness between the grades and if boating was needed or would make a diff. While I'm asking questions, do I need to position my PID probe near the bottom or leave it at the top?  I'll probably put the largest piece of brisket on the bottom or 3rd rack.

Caneyscud

Brisket, I'm told only comes in Select, Choice, and Prime.  Unless you are buying on-line, you will probably not see a prime brisket.  The grading is voluntary and some packing houses don't grade.  What grade a piece of meat is in large a decision based on the amount of fat marbling the piece (along with some other factors such as maturity of the carcass, color of the lean, firmness, texture......).  If you've been around brisket, you will notice the amount of fat on one.  Not a shortage there - that is why the lower grades of standard, commercial, and utility can't be found - they don't exist.  Some competition teams seek out Prime, but I haven't seen much difference.  Do they have a kick up on their competition - they might, but probably slight.  Prime does not guarantee a win or a higher score.  No way around it, a brisket is a piece of meat that is large, tough, but packing a load of fat.   Picking a really good brisket is largely a matter of luck.  A good rule of thumb is not to pick the biggest.  The thinking goes like this: the larger the brisket-the larger the cow, the larger the cow - the older the cow, the older the cow - the tougher the meat from that cow.  Some drape the brisket over their hand, over the side of the grocery cart, or over the edge of the cooler.  The greater the bend/bow, the more tender the meat - or so it is said.  The cryovacced briskets that are the "norm" for most places make it even harder to choose.  How do you evaluate any marbling?  You really can't.  And the cryovac packing interferes with the "bend" test.  So I try to select smaller briskets, with an evenness of thickness, containing whiter fat, and hope for the best.  And for a comp., most will opt for choice (usually easiest to find).  I will cook more than one and select the best after cooking.  I have really never noticed much consistent difference between the choice and select grades (or for that matters, with the prime also), besides, the long and slow cooking sorta obliterates the difference - making all tender and tasty.  But then take my opinion and 50 cents and go buy yourself a half a cup of coffee!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire

KyNola

Nicely explained CS.  I am doing my first brisket this weekend so I am looking forward to learning about them.  I totally agree with you that the grading of certain cuts of meats may be very overrated.  The brisket I have is an 8 pound angus flat.  The grade is choice.  Know why I bought the choice?  Because that's what Sam's had.  No other reason.

Smoke on!
KyNola

Caneyscud

Quote from: JDNC on March 18, 2009, 06:25:32 PM
Oh yeh..one other thing.. how long do you think I should apply smoke and also if I need to boat these babies when should I take out and boat?

JD

As far as my taste, there is almost no such thing as too much smoke - it's sorta like too much chocolate cake - almost can't happen-----ever.  With that out of the way, most contest judges will say that there is such of a thing as too much smoke.  Plus lots of people don't like much smoky flavor.  Plus there's this little theory that a piece of meat can only absorb so much smoke.  I prescribe to the Theory of Diminishing Returns and try to avoid the Incomplete Combustion Syndrome.

Theory of Diminishing Returns - After the first, say 4 or 5 hours, the effort and expense of continuing to apply smoke is rewarding you with less and less noticable results.  Why spend 50 cents or more on a puck, when the reward is minimal.  Brisket is like a smoke sponge, but after the first 4 or 5 hours (maybe more, maybe less according to your taste), just use the heater.  Foil/boat or No foil/boat.  The purists say no, but others who make great brisket say yes.  Probably easier to make a tender AND juicy brisket with the "Texas Crutch".   Your choice!  A great brisket can be made either way.  When you do that, you might read to put in some juice.  Again a choice.  If you want the flavor of apple juice (or whatever), then do so.  But that brisket will be juicy enough, will have enough fat left to render that you don't have to add anything. 

Incomplete Combustion Syndrome - With the Bradley you don't worry about this as long as you have your vents open 3/4 or more. 
Those that say that there is such of a thing as too much smoke have probably tasted some brisket that had been cooked in smoke that was the result of incomplete combustion and what they are tasting is tars, soot, and creosote.  This usually happens 3 ways.  The dampers are closed way down, starving the fire/coals of oxygen causing sooty "dirty" smoke.  Secondly, using green wood.  And the last way, just throwing new wood and new charcoal on the existing fire.  This also causes a lot of smoke just before getting hot enough to ignite, but it is also a "dirty" smoke.  A little of it is good, as in on a steak or a hamburger (short time), but hours of it can impart some "off" flavors.  Having a separate fire barrel or pit where all you do is shovel hot coals into your smoker is how to avoid the syndrome.  Or to mitigate it some - preheat your wood on top of your firebox, so that it will ignite almost immediately. 

Again you can take this opinion and 50 cents and buy you a half of a cup of coffee!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire

Mr Walleye

Excellent explanation Caney!  ;)

Two Thumbs up!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes