Venison Bacon Experiment

Started by Tenpoint5, March 21, 2009, 11:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Ok here is the experiment. I was starting the cure for some Triple Maple Bacon (Pork). I had two slabs of Venison bacon taken off the ribcage on the backside by the flank. There isn't a lot of fat on these and the fat meat layering is there like pork. So I said to myself "Self" I wonder what this would be like cured the same way as pork? The two slabs that i have are now in the week long curing phase with a pork belly. Will probably smoke next Saturday morning.

Any thoughts or input? I will post pictures of how all this looks if I can remember to take them.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

My First thought was - "Send me some for thorough testing and a n a l y s i s.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Roadking

Then send me the rest of the SUM for a n a l y s i s.

I think you going to have some might fine venison bacon.

fuzzy3955

I guess I get the pork belly Good Luck

Fuzzy

Piker

Me and my hunting buddies usually end up with a lot of deer each fall and the belly we usually just grind it up for sausage. Looking forward to how it turns out Good LUck. Dave 

sodak

Looking forward to how it turns out as well.

smokeitall

Yes please let us know how it turns out with pics.  I also usually grind mine for sausage and I am very curious how it would be as bacon.

Great idea...

Tenpoint5

Ok the Bacon has just come out of the smoker and is cooling then will be wrapped in plastic wrap over night before slicing.

This pic is after the week long cure in the fridge. After the rinse and an over night in the fridge. Coming up to room temp. Kind of nervous the Venison looks awful dark almost black. Its Pinewood Derby time Red Racer on the left, SMOKING DUCK on the right. Momma the Den leader hasn't painted her's yet.

Just coming out of the smoker. Feel better the Venison looks MUCH better. Have to wait until morning to slice and see what everything looks like.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

Wow...I'm coming for breakfast.

FLBentRider

That looks great TenPoint!
I'm curious about the flavor of the venison bacon

Go PineWood Derby!

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

IKnowWood

Looks great.  Big contrast the Venison vs. Pork.  Might need to convince a friend who has Venison to trade. 

as for the Derby.  Great looking cars, your own designs.  I am thinking for next year, our Derby is done for this year.  My Son came in 3rd place this year, 1st last year.  I am working with him more on the scroll saw for more angles and such.  I am still doing his weights for him.  This year I did the standard scout weight system.  Was under.  Last time I did a mid to low wheel base washer inset in wood. Next year, I may go to a 50/50 approach to back washer inset to scout kit, to allow for fudge changes.  I think the winner this year had to go out of rules and modify axles to much.   The sound on the track was a bit to different to all other cars on the track.   
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

seemore

Looks good, 10.5!  Let us know how it tastes!!!

Tenpoint5

Sliced everything up this morning. Only got a pic of one of the Venison pieces sliced up. I did fry up a couple of pieces of the venison. NOT BAD AT ALL!! Burnt the first piece it really tasted like burnt bacon!! The second one was better had really great flavor. Neither piece had a great amount of the fat on it, But what they did have didn't have any strange taste to it. I think I might try this again next year. The pieces are smaller and they do shrink up but Hey it worked!!

Here's the Regular Pork Belly Bacon. Ready to be Vac sealed.

Mr Walleye

Nice job 10.5!  ;)

It looks real tasty from here!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

westexasmoker

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!