• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

How to REALLY Use Your Bradley??

Started by sheltie, March 23, 2009, 02:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I think the oven (I think mine is 1900 watts) has a much easier time keeping up with large loads.

For a single pork butt, I don't think it matters if you finish in the oven or Bradley.

But as I learned with my 8 chickens, a 500 watt heating element is just not enough.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

sheltie

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 23, 2009, 05:29:28 PM
Just curious

A 6 hour briskit?  How big was it.   Takes me longer in my Bradley.  I can do a briskit faster in my Traeger.

nepas

Sorry, I should've been clearer.  Yes, the brisket (about 6 lbs) was in the smoker for about six hours, but it isn't done yet.  When we are ready to eat it, it will come out of the freezer and get finished cooking in the oven. 

Caneyscud

Cheater Brisket - in the oven first then smoker for smoke and bark.  I will sometimes do them all night at 200 in the oven other times for a couple of hours or so at 350.  Boated with some sort of flavorful liquid.  Doesn't seem to matter as long as they reach 180-190.  Then into the smoker for 2 - 4 hours.

Turbo Briskets
6 hours and less briskets (whole) are not that hard if you have the smoker for it.  Non-modded Bradleys can't do it!  If some inside wuss oven user can cook a whole brisket in an oven in 4 hours at 300-325, why can't we!  The boys at the joints in Central Texas laugh when they see the description of the "low and slow" method.  Every once in a while, they tell someone the "secret" temperature of 600 deg.  However, their pits are brick monsters with steel lids and are 25 foot long, 6 foot wide and about 2.5 to 3 foot high.  There is sort of an offset box at one end where they make a fire of post oak.  The pit chimney is at the other end of the 25' pit.  Most of the time when I have seen the tops up, it seems the meat is in the 1/3 of the pit nearer the smokestack.  My guess is temp is more like 350 to 400.  If you can hold 350 - 400 in a smoker - no reason you can't do a very taste, juicy, and tender brisket also.  As long as it is indirect heat.  Although I have had some pretty good quick brisket cooked over direct heat, some of the more charred parts of the outside had to be cut off - but the meat was very good.  The "rubs" in Central Texas are usually nothing more than salt and pepper with a few using some cayenne.  No sugar whatsoever - it would burn and who likes burnt sugar?  Some guys will cook hot for 2 or 3 hours until IT of 175-180, then foil till 190, and then throw in a cooler until serving.  Butts can be done the same, but they take about another hour in the foil.   The Central Texas boys will also do the 20+ pound clods at 400 in about 5 hours also.  The brisket stuff was sideways reconfirmed to me a month ago while in Ocean Springs, MS.  A guy brought about 12 briskets for us to eat - and inquisitive as I am peppered him with questions.  He learned his craft in the Lockhart pits.  He doesn't foil - just sticks them in a cooler until serving.  He claims he does not use a thermometer so said he guesses 275 - his young son let on that it was higher than that.  Couldn't get timing out of him, but sounded like 4 -5 hours.  They were EXCELLENT eats!!!!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

kiyotei

Regarding the cheater method:
"Cheater Brisket - in the oven first then smoker for smoke and bark."
I would think putting it in the oven first would really make it difficult for the meat to pick up good smoke flavor.  I would do the reverse, smoke it first then finish in the oven.  I often find myself short on time and so I do 5 hours in the smoker and then I foil and put in oven at various temps.  When I'm short on time I will crank up the oven to 300+ to shorten the cooking time.  Using this method I can finish it in the oven in just a few hours.  I can start a brisket at 9 am and have it ready by dinner time.  I like a strong smoke flavor on my brisket so I have to smoke it 5 hours.

Caneyscud

Quote from: kiyotei on March 25, 2009, 08:06:33 AM
Regarding the cheater method:
"Cheater Brisket - in the oven first then smoker for smoke and bark."
I would think putting it in the oven first would really make it difficult for the meat to pick up good smoke flavor.  I would do the reverse, smoke it first then finish in the oven.  I often find myself short on time and so I do 5 hours in the smoker and then I foil and put in oven at various temps.  When I'm short on time I will crank up the oven to 300+ to shorten the cooking time.  Using this method I can finish it in the oven in just a few hours.  I can start a brisket at 9 am and have it ready by dinner time.  I like a strong smoke flavor on my brisket so I have to smoke it 5 hours.

Kiy
Great method and it produces outstanding brisket.  However, I use oven first when it has to be done by noon, and I don't want to stay up all night.  I'm confident of the oven not flaming up without tending to it (i.e. asleep), less so a smoker.  Set the oven to 200 or as low as you can go and let it run all night.  When I get up, I unwrap it, put on more rub and salt and smoke away in the smoker.  I started it because there is this one little contest I like to play in, that has a 5 hour turn in for beef.  The do allow precooking, but not presmoking.  I'm the only one who has ever turned in brisket.  Never gotten first though - the judges seem to be able to be allured by some butter tender steak every year.  >:(  I tend to like the oven first better because to me it does have a stronger smoke flavor having just come out of the smoker, rather than a few hours taking a steam bath in an oven.   Plus the bark tends to be a lot more set on the oven first.  But just for good eating - both ways are great, it's just the taster and opinions that differ.  Makes the world go round.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: sheltie on March 24, 2009, 06:39:42 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 23, 2009, 05:29:28 PM
Just curious

A 6 hour briskit?  How big was it.   Takes me longer in my Bradley.  I can do a briskit faster in my Traeger.

nepas

Sorry, I should've been clearer.  Yes, the brisket (about 6 lbs) was in the smoker for about six hours, but it isn't done yet.  When we are ready to eat it, it will come out of the freezer and get finished cooking in the oven. 

No problema

Just thought you had a trick.

nepas

La Quinta

I usually smoke for an appropriate time and then go to the oven...big meats I smoke for 4 hours (then to the oven or crock pot)..smaller meats I will do for 2-3 and then to the oven if necessary.