• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cleaning

Started by birdboy, January 22, 2005, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdboy

How well do you scrub down the drip tray, etc.?  Last few times I've soaked it over night and then scrubbed it clean so it looks like new again.  Am I being over zelous?

bighoof

I just stick mine in the dishwasher and leave it at that, then the only thing I smoke is fish.

JJC

I just rinse the major gook off, then put it in the dishwasher or sponge it off.  I don't do any hard scrubbing.  I spray it with Pam (advice from the Forum) before using it which makes the clean-up easy.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

bb,

I hate to say it, give it up.  This is my somewhat jaded opion.  You will spend more time on that tray to make it look clean than any thing.  All I do is make sure I get the hard stuff off, scrub it down with a Scotch Brite type pad the best I can, then leave at that,  I consider the coloring as character myself.  Keep this simple and you will enjoy your smoker better and longer.  I put my emphasis on the door seal and where it seals against the cabinet.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

manxman

With regards to cleaning after use, I find the the most tedious bit is cleaning the smoke generator where the wooden pucks are burnt. Is it necessary to clean this every time the BS is used? Is it suppossed to be cleaned spotless?

Anyone got any bright tips for doing this other than what is in the Instruction Manual, not so much worried about cosmetic appearance, more about reducing efficiency if it is not done properly?

Other than that I find the BS is very easy to clean and maintain, even the stainless steel version.

Manxman.
Manxman

birdboy

Good, I was resigning myself to knock the big stuff down and leave it at the dishwasher.  Haven't tried the Pam thing... figured it would have burn't on just as bad as the drippings.

I've just blow out the wood dust from the generator, I have yet to clean the burn plate...

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br />With regards to cleaning after use, I find the the most tedious bit is cleaning the smoke generator where the wooden pucks are burnt. Is it necessary to clean this every time the BS is used? Is it suppossed to be cleaned spotless? <font color="red">No, just reasonable.</font id="red">

Anyone got any bright tips for doing this other than what is in the Instruction Manual, not so much worried about cosmetic appearance, more about reducing efficiency if it is not done properly? <font color="red">Steel brush, about every 2-3 smokes personally.</font id="red">

Other than that I find the BS is very easy to clean and maintain, even the stainless steel version.

Manxman.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font color="red">Kirk</font id="red">

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

I agree with Birboy and Chez--I just try to get the big stuff off the tray, wipe down the door frame and gasket, and blow out the generator with a spray in  case anything is clogged.  Takes me about 2-3 minutes max . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

jeanne

I spray pam on my racks, bowl and drip tray. After smoking I fill my ice chest with hot water, dish soap and throw all my stuff into soak. After a hour or so of relaxing and enjoying my tasty smokings I clean it up. This works sweet for me. [:D]

manxman

Thanks for the advice Kirk, think I was going over the top on this one! [:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

Ian

Good morning Bird boy/Manxman: what's worked for me over the years is to coat the racks and drip pan with Canola oil,I think if you check the fine print on Pam you'll see that as the main ingredient comes in three litre jugs much cheaper to use. lay the pan in the sink with screens on top and use a small basteing brush and give them a light coat on both sides a little goes a long way plus no over spray from a can. when cleaning the puck burner Ill use a small electric drill with a small wire wheel go easy, blow out and wipe down done in 30 seconds. As Jeanne does Ill use a large Rubbermaid container and let drip pan racks and bowl soak wipe of big stuff then give every thing a quick spray down with easy off oven cleaner, let sit for a half hour then use a nylon scrubbing pad and wash off. good as new and I wont have any nasty's growing when Iam not looking LOL.[8D]

Ian {STEELERS FAN!!}

MallardWacker

Ian,

Thanks for reading the fine print.  I wonder, I only use peanut oil, since it has a higher burn temp, this might work better???

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Ian

mallardwacker good morning peanut oil love it, just that for me up here it's $$$ and can only find it in small bottles other wise Id probably use it more than I do now, mmmmm deep fried jumbo yellow perch & eyes.[8D][:D][8D]

Ian {STEELERS FAN!!}

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ian</i>
<br /> just that for me up here it's $$$ and can only find it in small bottles <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If it wasn't for sams 1 gal jug, I wouldn't use it either.  I think it is around 8.00.  Not too bad, it lasts a while for around our house.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Ian

Mallardwacker: yeap thats a good price, I just looked at a bottle now 956 mL looks to be some what less than 1/4 USA gallon $4.00 canadian Peso's, now Iam on a mission!!! Ill find a place to buy it wholesale either myself or through friends in the biz. I would think you might be able to pick up a gallon of canola for a couple of bucks I wouldn't waste peanut oil on racks and screens since there isn't any high heat.[8D]