Ryteks Snack Sticks

Started by NePaSmoKer, April 04, 2009, 09:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Yes. That is the best cultured buttermilk powder on the market. A lot of powder buttermilk is made from non-cultured buttermilk; which is skim milk with an acid (citric or vinegar) added.

I would post Rytek's Slim Jim recipe, but I loaned my book out, and won't have it until Easter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Roadking

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 05, 2009, 01:45:11 AM
Yes. That is the best cultured buttermilk powder on the market. A lot of powder buttermilk is made from non-cultured buttermilk; which is skim milk with an acid (citric or vinegar) added.

I would post Rytek's Slim Jim recipe, but I loaned my book out, and won't have it until Easter.

Here it is:
DRIED SAUSAGE STICKS (SLIM JIMS)

INGREDIENTS FOR 10 LBS.

2 level tsp. Prague Powder No.1ยท   
4 tbsp. Paprika
6 tbsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. ground white pepper
1 tsp. ground celery
1 tbsp. Mace
1 tsp. granulated garlic
3-1/2 ozs. Salt
1-1/2 ozs. powdered dextrose
6 ozs. Fermento

MEAT
Dried sausage sticks are made using a fairly lean type of meat. You may use any kind of cow, bull or steer meat. The ratio is about 80% lean and 20% fat. Beef chuck is excellent meat for this sausage.

PROCESSING PROCEDURE
Meat is chilled at 30-32 degrees F. so that it will not smear when being ground through a Va" grinder plate. It is then mixed very well for about 2 minutes and stuffed into 22-24mm sheep casings. Desired length is 6"-9". Meat is then placed in a smokehouse at 98-11 0 degrees F., with cold smoke applied for about 8 hours. If you desire more tang you may hold this temperature for 12 more hours. Smokehouse temperatures are then raised until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. Remove from smoker and place in dry room at 50-55 degrees F.

NePaSmoKer

Ok here is the finished Ryteks snack sticks. Pretty good recipe. It was for 10lbs but i used 5lbs. I cut all the ingredients in half. I used powdered cultured buttermilk in place of fermento. Next time i will add another Tbsp to the mix. Other than that they came out fairly good. Not over salty tangy from the ECA  ;D This recipe would be good as a dry stick adding cure #2 instead of #1 and pressed flat like a Landjaeger.  I followed the smoke recipe just a little. Started at 130* for an hour, then to 150* for 2 hours, 165* for 2 hours and 170* until i had the IT of the sticks at 152/153*

Thanks Mike and Roadking for posting the recipe  ;D And Habs for the substitution on the fermento.

Cold water rinse and bloom.

5lbs all cut to length.

Close up.

I might add that i used 85/15 GB

nepas

Up In Smoke

Nepas,
do you think that  93/7 may be too lean for these?
or maybe some ground fowl?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Up In Smoke on April 05, 2009, 11:07:43 AM
Nepas,
do you think that  93/7 may be too lean for these?
or maybe some ground fowl?

You might want to up the fat content. What kind of fowl?

nepas

Up In Smoke

dark meat chicken or turkey?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Roadking

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Up In Smoke on April 05, 2009, 11:46:10 AM
dark meat chicken or turkey?

You might get away with that.

nepas

Mr Walleye

They look great NePas.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Thanks Mike

They do taste good. My daughter didnt like em cuz of the slight tang. Oh well more for me  ;D

nepas

Gizmo

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 05, 2009, 12:19:28 PM
Thanks Mike

They do taste good. My daughter didnt like em cuz of the slight tang. Oh well more for me  ;D

nepas

Better ship some to me for second opinion.  I like tangy.   ;)  :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

Time for a CTT scan. (certified tang taster)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

Thanks nepas, the sticks look great. I'm glad they turned out to your liking. Thanks for the additional info.
Thanks Habs, I always have that powdered buttermilk on hand. Now I have another use for it.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: HCT on April 06, 2009, 04:09:40 AM
Thanks nepas, the sticks look great. I'm glad they turned out to your liking. Thanks for the additional info.
Thanks Habs, I always have that powdered buttermilk on hand. Now I have another use for it.

Yeah why wait days for fermento in the mail when we now know we can go to the grocery store to get PCB. And cheaper too.

Powdered
Cultured
Buttermilk

nepas

lumpy

Hey Nepas,
Here are some pics of Ryteks snack sticks that i made last week

I left them in the fridge overnight and smoked the next day. I used hickory

I used a mix of 80/20 but found them to be a little fatty. Next time I will bump it up to 85/15. They were however very tasty.

Lumpy