Ryteks Snack Sticks

Started by NePaSmoKer, April 04, 2009, 09:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Hi All

As some of you know I dint use Ryteks book, However i am curious about his snack sticks. If any of you would like to post a couple of his recipes for them i would like to try them.

Thanks

nepas

Mr Walleye

NePas

Here is the one I did a while back. They were very good. When I originally did them I posted the recipe as well. Here's the link...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6866.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Thanks Mike

I dont have anymore fermento. What did you use in place of it.

nepas

Mr Walleye

It's a product I get here locally called Salami Starter. It's ingredients are dextrose, corn syrup solids and glucono delta lactone (GDL).

There is a good write up on GDL in this link. It's near the bottom of the page. GDL is also the ingredient in Fermento. As I understand it, GDL is gives the sausage a lactic acid tang flavor, whereas encapsulated citric acid gives the sausage a citric acid tang flavor.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/page0001.htm

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Thanks Mike

I guess i am going to try my incapsulated. How do you think this recipe wil be if i cut it to 5 lbs?

nepas

Mr Walleye

I don't see a problem with doing that at all NePas.

So your going to half the recipe and substitute the ECA for the Fermento. I'll be intersted in how it turns out. I'm sure it will be great!  ;)

Mike

NePaSmoKer

:D

Wouldnt ya know it that i am out of ground mustard too  :D  :D  Maybe 2 T of pym. Also the recipe didnt state how much water. maybe  3/4 cup will work.

nepas

Mr Walleye

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 04, 2009, 10:51:15 AM
:D

Wouldnt ya know it that i am out of ground mustard too  :D  :D  Maybe 2T of pym

nepas

Isn't that the way it always goes!  ::)

I think you could do that and be fine.

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Mike

You think 3/4 cup of water for the mix is good. I will be stuffing into 17mm collagen.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Nepas;

Powdered Cultured Buttermilk can be substituted for Fermento. The important thing is that it must state "cultured", or it will not work as well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

NePas

I think it would be alright. I prefer to mix my spices and cure with at least some water to get better distribution. I found the long low temp in the recipe made them kinda of a semi-dri snack stick. They are really tasty. I can't wait to see what you think.

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Thanks Mike
I am going to start mixing soon after i pull the membrane from the ribs. I couldt fing my mace so i added just a tad of sage. I also added a litle bit more paprika. This is almost like a landjaeger  ;D

I like to do the same add my dry to the wet, this way there are no clumps in the meat.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Ok I'm going to give one of Ryteks recipes a shot here. This is the recipe mike used. It calls for 10lbs but I cut it to 5lbs.

All mixed.

Stuffed into 19mm collagen casings tied at both ends. Going in the fridge overnight then hangin in the morning  ;D

I guess this will be the deciding recipe on if i want to spend $25 on his book  :o

nepas

Roadking

Here's a link for a bunch of recipes out of the Rytek Kutas book and there's a few of some others.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=76

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 04, 2009, 02:27:43 PM
Nepas;

Powdered Cultured Buttermilk can be substituted for Fermento. The important thing is that it must state "cultured", or it will not work as well.

Habs

Then this kind would work ok.

nepas