• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

What's Smoking - Easter Weekend?

Started by Caneyscud, April 09, 2009, 10:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

LQ, if those are those little fat lamb chops, about 1 inch thick or so, I had great luck with a marinade, cold smoke and cooked on a hot grill standing them upright on the bone. Happy Easter!

La Quinta

No...SS...they are like pork ribs...I've never seen them...not chops at all...these are racks...

Ka Honu

Lamb riblets?  I seem to recall a friend of mine at a party years ago cutting them apart, rubbing with something including 5-spice powder, wrapping them in prosciutto, and lightly smoking/grilling them on a Weber to serve as appetizers.

icerat4

I have done 15 pounds of briskit,17 pounds of pulled pork  28 pounds of ribs 10 pounds of meatloaf baked beans shrimp also...that is what i am catering to feed 40 people...Left overs will be handed out ..that was last weekend and this weekends smoking session..See the RAT IS STILL SMOKING LOL...

Just another weekend with the smoker...

tsquared

We're up island surfing for the weekend so no smoking. Lots of grilling tho. Did grilled  onions, eggplant, peppers and home grown asparagus to accompany a mess of prawns a friend gave us. I'll be home next weekend and was trying to decide between fishing for halibut or prawn fishing--the prawns decided it--I'll have to throw the traps in and go for the bugs....they're just too damn good. Surf's up dude.
T2

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: icerat4 on April 11, 2009, 05:33:01 AM
I have done 15 pounds of briskit,17 pounds of pulled pork  28 pounds of ribs 10 pounds of meatloaf baked beans shrimp also...that is what i am catering to feed 40 people...Left overs will be handed out ..that was last weekend and this weekends smoking session..See the RAT IS STILL SMOKING LOL...

Glad to see you're still putting out some good food. How many smokers do you still have?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

LQ,
Wish I had seen your post earlier, but I wasn't around any 'net hookup this weekend.  Did a couple of those things 6 months ago for a Susan Komen Cure fundraiser.  Just sprinkled with a garlic/rosemary rub and smoked until the meat started pulling off the end of the ribs.  I liked them pretty good (I liked the smoked de-boned leg better), but there are two women (survivors) that said that they were the best things they had put in their mouth.  One of the ladies came in the shop last Sat. and still mentioned it - go figure.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire' 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

icerat4

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 12, 2009, 02:05:12 AM
Quote from: icerat4 on April 11, 2009, 05:33:01 AM

Glad to see you're still putting out some good food. How many smokers do you still have?

Still have 2 habs..Going good glad too see your still here holding things together,,,Take care

Just another weekend with the smoker...

La Quinta

Caney...I marinated them in balsamic, garlic, and rosemary...they are incredibly fatty....smoked one "rack" and baked the other...and both were really fatty at the end of both methods of cooking...I read some stuff on the internet to boil them first...then cook...I understand that point now...  ???

Caneyscud

Quote from: La Quinta on April 13, 2009, 06:40:20 PM
Caney...I marinated them in balsamic, garlic, and rosemary...they are incredibly fatty....smoked one "rack" and baked the other...and both were really fatty at the end of both methods of cooking......

Yep, LQ those are the ones.  Hard to believe that a lamb could have so much fat!  I think I had mine on a big smoker at 235 to 250 for 6 hours and that did not render the fat. 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire

La Quinta

Yeah...odd... the fat sticks like glue to the meat...I have two more racks and am gonna try the boil thing first...very, very odd cut of meat!  ???

Smokin Soon

LQ, I asked a butcher about what cut of meat you might have, and he said it might be the one that is just like "goat" which is very greasy. He could not go into detail as his english is limited, but he did understand what I was asking. The meat experts will chime in for sure. I have attended a few goat roasts, and do not care for it too much because of the grease factor.

La Quinta

I ate goat all the time when I was a kid...curried....I have no idea how it was made...but it was delicious. (It was in Jamaica). Curried goat with ackee (I don't know if I spelled that right)...it was great!!!

Ka Honu

The other side of the goat - The only time in my life I have ever gotten sick from food was the first time I ate cabrito asado (roast kid) in Nuevo Laredo when I was about 10 years old.  Of course in 1958 you could probably get sick from just about anything in Nuevo Laredo.  Era delicioso, pero demasiado grasiento.

Caneyscud

I puzzles me why he would compare it to goat!  It's part of a whole bone-in lamb breast or lamb belly - compares to pork belly that bacon is made from.  Goat greasy?  It's been years since I've had any (for years couldn't find it here in Music City and now my wife says she doesn't want to eat it), and I used to eat a lot of barbecued goat when younger (in South Texas).  I suppose most of it was cabrito - young goat and wasn't that fat I guess!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire