• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

disappointed

Started by SemperFiPhil, April 11, 2009, 10:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperFiPhil

I have been researching smokers for a while and was really impressed with Bradley smokers.  I even took my wife today to look at the new digital smoker and she was impressed as well.  After looking at the Bradley website and  reading some reviews, I thought that this was the one for me.  It was made to look so simple and automatic.  Then I started reading entries in this forum.  I see posts in here talking about using foil (which should not be done according to the instructions shown on Bradley's web site) and all the long preparations needed prior to smoking meats.  Why did I think it was as simple as applying a rub and setting the smoker to smoke the meat for how ever many hours as I was led to believe by Bradley?  After seeing all these posts and the countless things that must be done prior to smoking the meat, I am seriously thinking on spending my hard earned money elsewhere.  I can BBQ and grill meats with a lot less work than what is shown here... and I will match my BBQ and grilling with anyone.  I don't mean to be a "buzz-kill", but it all looks more involved than Bradley makes you believe.

La Quinta

Really it isn't that much more complicated...hell I've had mine for 3 or 4 years and I think it's pretty easy to use...I don't know the in-and-outs of the Digital model (I have an Original) but for me...just load pucks and go get a beer...you can add attachments...I have a cold smoke box because of where I live...but...the thing is kinda a set and forget...I mean if you're doing huge loads you gotta change the water bowl out and stuff...but that would be normal on a bar-b-que...I wouldn't sleep with our gas grill just going on it's own all night...and the charcoal one would need a change out as well...

Just my humble opinion...I guess it's an investment for us...in food fun...keep thinking about it SemperFiPhil.... :)

Ps...it's easy...I'm a girl...my hubby doesn't even know how to hook the thing up...he's a baker...nice fresh bread 3 days a week at our house!!!  :)

Habanero Smoker

Hi SemperFiPhil;

Welcome to the forum.

A lot of food preparation examples on this forum are examples how one can enhance their barbecue experience with the use of the Bradley. The only necessary preparation is to preheat the smoker, and season the meat; and seasoning is optional. If you are familiar with barbecuing, then prepare the food as you did using your other equipment. Then place it in the cabinet and start smoking/cooking.

I haven't been on the Bradley site in a while, but when I was on the site, they make it clear that foil is alright to use inside the cabinet, the instructions I have seen point out that you shouldn't cover the drip pan ("V" pan) or fully cover the trays with aluminum foil. Doing so will block circulation and may cause heat build up. It is perfectly alright to wrap your foil in food.

You may want to check this out:
Bradley Smoker FAQ's

I don't want to be a "buzz kill" either, but here are more recipes. :)
Recipes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I concur with the above posts.  I have a hard wood/charcoal smoker and used to have a side firebox unit.  Believe me, they require much more attention than the Bradley.  Food prep is a matter of personal preference.  I am a rather simple fellow myself and like a more natural taste in my meat.  I normally apply olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion then place immediately in the Bradley.  The Bradley will probably be slower in cooking than you are used to but the smoke will produce what I term as a smoother taste.  This is because the wood does not "burn" but simply smolders.  Many here cold smoke tougher cuts of beef like steaks then wrap and refrigerate overnight and grill the next day.  This works very well, but IMHO can't beat the hardwood grill/smoker.  The Bradley is a "slow smoker" which is great for most things, but some things require more heat than the Bradley is capable of.  Granted, there are work arounds like with the steaks, but for me those type of things are easier on the grill/smoker that obtain higher heat.

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

SemperFiPhil

Thanks all.  Sorry about the negative post... had to put one of our 2 dogs down yesterday and was not very chiper.  We are getting the DBS and looking forward to everyones great input and recipes. 

By the way... have a blessed Easter everyone and happy smokin'. ;)

Wildcat

We know what it is like to have to put a pet down.  :'( Most of us have been there.  I have the Original BS in Stainless Steel.  Added a PID for lower temperature swings.  I recommend that you obtain a Maverick ET-73 to more accurately monitor the meat and box temps.

car54

SemperFiPhil,

Sorry to hear that about your dog. You might want to check out this link on the forum.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8946.0

Have a great Easter and enjoy your Bradley. I hope that you post your smoking results.

Brad

Up In Smoke

sorry to hear about your dog Phil,
the others here have you headed in the right direction.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome SemperFiPhil, very sorry about your dog, hopefully the fact that he/she is no longer suffering will be of some comfort to you  ;)

Regarding the Bradley, i used to do all my smoking with a  wood/charcoal smoker, i liked it and had some great results with it, but looking back it was a lot of hassle to use and monitor. Then i discovered the Bradley and everything changed!

I could never go back to my old smoker now, the Bradley is very easy to use, i've had a couple of pastramis in mine for the last few hours, and i'm monitoring them from my pc desk as i write this with the help of the ET 73.
Once you get used to set up and nature of the Bradley there's no going back imo ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

beefmann

Semper Phil,

welcome to the forum, as a few others had stated  I am sorry to hear about the loss of your loved companion and pet. As I have lost my german shepared 2 1/2 years ago due to cancer and miss her dearly to this day and we understand your loss.

as for this forum, please continue to look around and ask a few questions for help .. this site has helped me in many ways and after gaining some experiences  i also helped others in there smokes and projects...

and I no longer have a BBQ grill and smoke exclusively

P.S. i did when i started smoking and found it  easier...much like you i enjoyed the bbq and thought it was the only way

Beef

Caneyscud

SemperFi

Glad to have you on the forum.  All those posts about pre-smoke preparations are our way of impressing ourselves trying to get the nth degree more flavor out of our smokes.  Sometimes we win, sometimes we don't, but even those failures taste great.  As others have said, it can be as simple as opening the package, season with salt and pepper, and sticking it in the Bradley, dialing in time and temp. and go off until done.  Some of the best barbecue has been made that way.  Soon, you might find yourself experimenting also.  And by golly you too will come up with the best barbecue secret/tip in the world also!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mybad

You will fall in love with your Bradley, BBQ is really good Eats, and Smoked stuff is like Christmas and your Birthday all rolled into one! ;D

It's so much fun to try new things in it, and these guys here are the best. Recipes, pictures, step by step....when you make and cure your first ham, or pastrami your friends and family will be amazed.

eszepher

I too am sorry about your dog......had to go through that myself not too long ago. Just don't watch Marley and Me anytime soon! I just bought my new BS, a Jim Beam model. Is it any different than the other digital? Also, what is the ET73 that lets you monitor on your PC? I too will be having alot of questions!

Great Forum!

Caneyscud

The ET73 is a dual probe remote reading thermometer made by Maverick.  The two probes come in handy - you can monitor the internal temperature (IT) of two different pieces of meat or you can monitor a piece of meat and the cabinet temperature (CT).  The ET73 has a receiver unit that can receive the temperature information wirelessly, a reportedly 100 foot away - if I remember correctly.  However in real life it is not usually that far because walls, furniture and such get in the way.  More than likely Lilsmoker had his receiver on his PC desk while he was typing the post.  This weekend, I had an allnight smoke with one of my wood/charcoal smokers at a local state park.  I used my ET73 but with only one probe that was monitoring the CT.  I would sleep in my truck, setting the alarm to wake up every hour to tend the smoker.  I also set the receiver on the dash of the truck set to ring an alarm if the temperature got too high.  With that being said, there is a device available that can monitor your smoke on a computer.  I believe currently they are all hard wired, but that is not to say there hasn't been some genius out there that came up with a way to do it wirelessly.  As there is not crying in baseball, there are no rules in smoking!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum eszepher.  If I recall correctly, Brian (from Bradley) posted on another thread that the Jim Beam was simply a Bradley with a different emblem.