Smoked trout a success!

Started by Smokeville, April 16, 2009, 10:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Yea!

I got the smoker on sale two weeks ago at Cantire, seasoned it, and today I tried some smoked trout.

My standard for smoked trout is Milford Bay trout farm in Muskoka -- we first had it 22 years ago when he smoked in a converted coke machine.

Well, it came out underdone (cooked but too moist) by that standard, so my wife and I ate the first fillet, and I put the second back in for a while. It's still in the smoker with no smoke. I'll check again in about 30 minutes or so.

I can hardly wait to try pulled pork tomorrow!

Regards, Rich

canadiansmoker

Gullrock, what type of trout did you smoke? I have been thinking about doing some steelhead myself but have not attempted it yet.

iceman

Keep us posted Gullrock. I enjoy smoked trout when we can fish the rivers up here in Alaska. I smoke mine until it's sort of firm to the touch then hit the grill for a few minutes with it. Turns out great.

Smokeville

It was a great success.... in fact as much as I love to exaggerate, I'm at a loss for words.

I brined them for just 1/2 hr in water with salt and sugar. Dried them off, and lightly brushed some maple syrup over each.

They went in at 150F using Alder for 1 hour, then upped to 175F for an hour. At that time the smoke ran out and I had to eat...

The Milford Bay trout is rather dry, but exceptional flavour, and the first trout I tried was fairly moist with great flavour. Not so much like Milford Bay, but very acceptable.

I decided to put the 2nd fillet back in for about another hour at about 175-200F. It came out perfect, and when cold it tasted almost exactly like Milford Bay.

So, I am very pleased. Right now I've got 4 pork roasts in the fridge with a rub on them to make pulled pork for church lunch on Sunday...

Regards, Rich

Smokeville

Canadiansmoker;

It was store bought rainbow trout.

I'm allergic to Salmon  -- Steelhead is a relative (fresh water / salt water( so I stay away...

Rich

lumpy

I've been smoking Saugeen steelies for years and the are yummmm!
I do brine them for a few hours and then smoke.

Lumpy