• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Trying New Rub Recipe for Ribs

Started by sodak, April 18, 2009, 08:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodak

Life is good the last couple of days...

A ton of crappie (pronounced croppy for those not familiar with the fish) filets for dinner last night (10.5 & Walleye undoubtedly know the fish)...a bag of Walleye fillets in the fridge for tomorrow noon...and for dinner tonight...lots of ribs.

I read about Meathead's Magic Rub when I did some research into the Last Meal Ribs recipe discussed on the forum in the past couple of days.  Gathered up the seasonings, put 'em in the food processor, and wow!  Did the kitchen ever smell like a million dollars.  So, I purchased 3 racks of spare ribs, and started pulling membrane:

Applied the rub to both sides and into the fridge (last night) for a snooze:

For those who don't have Meathead's Magic Rub recipe from the amazing ribs website, here it is:

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
4 Tbspn garlic powder
2 Tbspn ground black pepper
2 Tbspn ground ginger
2 Tbspn onion powder
2 Tbspn ground rosemary

I didn't have any ground rosemary, but the food processor took care of that...and I substituted 1/2 cup paprika with a 1/4 cup of the normal store brand paprika and a 1/4 cup of the spanish paprika I got online from the Spice House.  That stuff smells great! 

Anyhow, I'm going to fire up the smoker in about an hour...we'll take pics and let you know how this Last Meal Ribs recipe turns out.  It's a damp, drizzly day in this part of South Dakota...perfect weather for Hickory, I believe.

Mr Walleye

Sodak

The ribs sound great! You'll have to let us know how you like the rub, certainly sounds good.

Fishing sounds great too!  ;) Our season is still closed till May 2nd. We were supposed to be in a tournament that day but it's been cancelled due to ice still being on the lakes.  ??? We are having a very late spring so it's debatable if we will be out on opening day. I certainly hope so because if we are not... It would be the first time in years that I wasn't. Come on heat!  ;)

Hey... maybe LQ can send some of it my way!  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Just had some crappie the other day a friend invited us over. Keep us informed on them ribs.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sodak

Into smoker at 1:15 at 225 - Hickory for 80-90 minutes.  Then just wet heat (with water pan)...will do the tenting with apple juice at about 4:15...gotta be done by dark...it's a night bite.

Gizmo

Quote from: sodak on April 18, 2009, 08:29:44 AM
Life is good the last couple of days...

A ton of crappie (pronounced croppy for those not familiar with the fish) filets for dinner last night (10.5 & Walleye undoubtedly know the fish)...a bag of Walleye fillets in the fridge for tomorrow noon...and for dinner tonight...lots of ribs.

First time I caught crappie I smoked them, at the time in a bullet smoker.  Some of the best fish I have ever had.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

pensrock

sodak

Okay...

So the ribs rested for about 10-12 hours in the fridge put them in the smoker at 225 for 3 1/2 hours.  Hickory for the first 90 minutes of cooking.  Had a full pan of water steaming from the bottom the entire open cooking process.  I had three full slabs cut into thirds for a total of nine pieces in the open smoke for this time period...this is what they looked like when I pulled them for round of action in the broiler pan, tented with aluminum foil.

Just getting ready to tent (one cup of apple juice is in the bottom of the broiler pan) and put in at 225 for another 1 1/2 hours.

Next, I removed the ribs from the broiler pan bottoms and put the top with the ribs back into the smoker to dry off the surface while I reduced the drippin's with pure maple syrup and honey and brown sugar...this is the glaze we're applying to the ribs here:

Then, a quick two or three minute trip into the home oven to set the glaze:

So, after about what...5 or 6 hours of cooking...we've got the finished product:

We stuck five of them into vacuum sealed bags (after a one hour dip in the freezer prior to vacuum sealing)...the rest were consumed with only very clean bones left over.

Did they qualify as "Last Meal Ribs?"  I would answer yes.  My wife says they were the best she had ever tasted.  My seven year old son said they were okay in between bites.  The pictures make the ribs appear to be dry.  I will say they weren't dripping in sauce and moisture, but next time around I will shift more of the cooking time (perhaps just after smoking) to the tented broiler pan with apple juice in the bottom.

All around, however, this recipe is very highly recommended to anyone out there that wants to try something different...and extremely tasty!

Mr Walleye

Sodak

The ribs look fantastic!  8)

Ya can never go wrong with ribs!  ;)

Mmmmmmm........

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Since you Vac Sealed some of them ribs you can send them my way. Haven't had ribs in awhile. To save on shipping just bring them to the Smoke Out. If you have received approval from corporate.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

starship

Magic Dust is not new, been doing it for a while, and would not change for anything.  The author of Amazing Ribs . Com Is writing a book, that should be published next year?  (I hope sooner)

(Note my signature!)
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

sodak

sodak

By the way, it was a new recipe for me...I know it's been around a while.

Smokin Soon

I think I will give that "sweet glaze" a try tomorrow, as the wife usually complains that my sauce is too spicy. Found some monster spare ribs today at my favorite Asian market for 1.19 a pound.

drano

Sodak,
Those are some great looking ribs!
I've never froze them after smoking, but maybe I need to give that a shot.
That glaze sure looks great.

drano

Smokin Soon

Drano, freezing ribs did not turn out well before I bought a Vac sealer. I cut them into individual ribs and re-sauce before I vac seal and they are delish! I think the cutting of the ribs and adding sauce can even add additional flavor. Just my opinion.