Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oguard

Merry Cristmas to you T2 I have that book I will look up that recipe.

Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Turkeyman

I am going to try Kummoks salmon recipe my question is how long do you actaully add smoke?

Thanks

tsquared

I usually do between 2 and 3 hours.
T2

Burnpwdr

Hey I have looked everywhere for pickling salt. No can find, is that an Alaskan thing

Mr Walleye

My understanding is Pickling salt is fine-grained salt that does not contain iodine or anti-caking preservatives. I believe you could use Kosher salt in it's place but you would want to adjust the amount because Kosher is much more coarse and therefore requires more volume. I think Habs had posted a conversion amount a while back on another thread.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Burnpwdr on February 19, 2008, 02:14:48 PM
Hey I have looked everywhere for pickling salt. No can find, is that an Alaskan thing

Burnpwdr;

Welcome to the forum.

In my area it readily available in all major supermarkets, and Super Wal-Marts. Some manufacturers label it as "Canning & Pickling" salt. Also you can find it where canning supplies are sold.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

yul

Hi Guys, do you know if it is OK to freeze the fish after it has dried and formed the pellicle. Reason I ask is, we don't seem to get more than one day of reasonable weather in Montreal at the moment and I do not have a sheltered area to use the OBS. I was thinking that if I brined and dried the fish and put it in the freezer when we got a nice day I could get smoking stright away. :-\
Brian. Montreal.

Kummok

I've frozen already brined fish for later pellicle forming/smoking but never the already pellicle'd fish, so I can't answer based upon actual experience. My thinking is that it would still need to be dried somewhat after thawing....perhaps not as long as originally but I'm suspecting that the freeze/thaw process would re-moisten the outside?!?!? Anyone done this?

westexasmoker

I know there may be enough comments on this receipe, but I did it with 6 lbs yesterday and I can only say OMG...my wife does not like salmon(I think she was dropped on her head as a baby  ;D) and she even raved about it and when are we going to do that again!!!!!  So if your new like me and have'nt tried this one...Get smokin and duuuuuitt!!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Kummok

Never "enough comments" about any smoking, WTS.....we all love sharing/hearing about the processing/smoking/eating/sharing experiences. Keep 'em coming :)  I'm always amazed at the "conversions" of friends that "don't like salmon", then can't get enough after having it smoked. Wait till she tries it grilled fresh out of the Reveo, (no more than 2.5-to-3 minutes per side)  ;) Not everyone gets THAT far with salmon, but the ones that do sure do a lot of MmmMmmMmmm's and "eyes rolling to the back of their head" when they arrive at the grilling level! Sometimes we need to drag them through the 'Backbay Blackened King Salmon Pasta' dish before getting to grilled, but often they skip right to the grilled perfection of this GREAT fish!!

westexasmoker

Another batch going in this weekend..I gave what little I left with the fine folks I work with!!!..Its like being in high school (whenever the heck that was almost 30 years ago) I'm the popular guy  ;D  Sure wish I could get my hands on some fresh, here in west texas ain't gonna happen, alas do what you have to do with grocery store fish!!  I was up in Seattle for a couple of years doing DR testing and the seafood, climate and beauty of the place..when (if) I retire I know where I'm a headin!  Thanks again Kummok!!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

huhwhatliar

Quote from: westexasmoker on April 25, 2008, 05:55:15 PM
Sure wish I could get my hands on some fresh, here in west texas ain't gonna happen,

WTS, if you have albertsons in your area they will carry Alaska Salmon on occasion. If you get into Fort Worth, Central Market has Alaska Salmon, the price ranges from $15-20 lb. depending on the type.
Hope this helps

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

yul

;D  I tried Kummok's recipe on 10 salmon fillets yesterday. They taste fantastic.  ::)  ::) The flavor is excellent, not to sweet as in the other recipe that I have tried.  I vacuum packed most of them and put them in the freezer, I  am sure they will taste even better in a few days time.
Thanks Kummok for a great recipe.  ;)
Brian. Montreal.

Kummok

Great to hear that you're enjoying the smokin n' eatin WTX and Yul!! And you're correct that they'll improve in taste after a chill in the freezer, Yul!