Brisket with Texas Crutch

Started by Daranator, July 25, 2009, 11:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daranator

Okay I have cooked one 12 lb brisket in the smoker 12 hours at 220 with 4 hours of hickory smoke with no boating and it was good (little tough and a little dry).  I am going to try another one at a camp out this weekend.  I will have the Bradley but no oven.  Anyone have an opinion on the benefits of boating or the using the Texas crutch with brisket and have you tried it in the smoker.  I have a few folks from Texas visiting with high expectations so I would really like to nail this one.  I was planning on using mostly apple with a little hickory. I plan on 4 hours smoke 12 hours cooking with 3-5 hours FTC. Any advice or tips wold be would be greatly appreciated.   

HawkeyeSmokes

I think a bit more time might be needed. Got a 12 lb brisket boated in the oven right now. Smoked for about 5 hours and then in the oven for 16 hours right now with an IT of 179. Plan on checking it at 180 to see if it's fork tender or needs a few more deg. Then FTC it for a few hours.
As to use the boating or not, people do them both ways with good results.
HawkeyeSmokes

mikecorn.1

All this talk about brisket, making me hungry. Wheres the pics?  ;D   
Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

Pics are coming Mike. Brisket is in the FTC mode right now. Looked pretty good coming out of the oven.
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

I can't believe I'm saying this....NO NO NO I wont say it!!! but if they are from Texas. Think to yourself WHAT WOULD WTS USE FOR WOOD? Other than that I won't do a brisket overnight in my Bradley, our friend WTS showed what could happen when you do.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

JF7FSU

How do you guys fit a 12 lb brisket into the OBS?  Do you fold it in half or cut it?
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

HawkeyeSmokes

Mine just made it. No cutting or folding. A little squeeze maybe!

No extra room for sure.
HawkeyeSmokes

pensrock

QuoteI can't believe I'm saying this....NO NO NO I wont say it!!! but if they are from Texas. Think to yourself WHAT WOULD WTS USE FOR WOOD?

I agree, if they are from Texas they will be expecting messywood for sure. In case you do not know what messywood is its mesquite.  :)

Also, I do not know what 'the Texas Crutch' is so I cannot comment on that.  ???

Daranator

Tenpoint - What happened overnight in the Bradley? I heard the Texas crutch was just wrapping in foil.  I really do not know much about this stuff.  I was going to smoke for 5 hours and then either wrap in foil or boat with apple juice until it hit about 180 then FTC but I wasn't sure how to boat in the Bradly or if it was even a very good idea.   I will pick up some messy pucks tomorrow thanks for the tip Pen.  It would be a lot easier not to mess with the boat and just smoke and finish in the Bradley but I think the boat would keep it moister.  Hawk how did the brisket turn out today? sure looks good on the rack.  I am a little nervous about the cook time now.  It sounds like it might be more like a 24 hour operation,  there would be some disappointed Texans if dinner was 12 hours late.   

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: JF7FSU on July 25, 2009, 07:19:36 PM
How do you guys fit a 12 lb brisket into the OBS?  Do you fold it in half or cut it?

If you want to keep your brisket whole, here is an idea from the recipe Brisket Pachanga

"If a brisket is too long, I just wrinkle it a bit or bend it a little in the middle. I use the sides of the rack to help hold the brisket in a slight inverted "U" ("∩"). When the brisket shrinks it will relax and flatten out."

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HawkeyeSmokes

Hey Daranator, the brisket came out great. Here's a link to the results.  
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10973.msg119260
The Texas Crutch is wrapping in foil or what a lot of people use is a foil pan. It's easier than trying to wrap that whole thing. This brisket did take almost 24 hours from the time I started smoking it and removed from the FTC to carve. There will be variations on total cook time due to temp control with both the smoker and the kitchen oven. My oven varies more than the smoker by the way. I was guessing on 19 or 20 hrs of smoke/cook time but it turned out 21.5 total.
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Daranator on July 25, 2009, 09:25:42 PM
Tenpoint - What happened overnight in the Bradley?    

Daranator, I am sorry I didn't want or mean to scare you. WTS had a fire in his Bradley. He also had three Briskets in there. Its a fear of mine so I wont do it. Others have and have been fine.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

I do the overnight thing, but I get up in the middle of the night and empty / refill the water bowl.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Quote from: pensrock on July 25, 2009, 08:33:56 PMAlso, I do not know what 'the Texas Crutch' is so I cannot comment on that.  ???

The "Texas crutch" is what we usually call "boating" here - foil wrap or pan, generally with a splash of liquid.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 26, 2009, 08:43:38 AM
Quote from: pensrock on July 25, 2009, 08:33:56 PMAlso, I do not know what 'the Texas Crutch' is so I cannot comment on that.  ???

The "Texas crutch" is what we usually call "boating" here - foil wrap or pan, generally with a splash of liquid.

Thanks for that!   I never could figure out what you guys were talking about.  I read a 'texas crutch' link from one of the other members, and they talked about making a 'canoe' for the ribs w/ apple juice.

Duh, didn't make the canoe<>boat connection until just now.