Kielbasa

Started by BigJohnT, September 25, 2009, 05:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 04, 2009, 06:31:12 PM
You have to blow up one!!! It's required in the Learning Curve.

Maybe next time ;D 10.5

Well lets see, if my ciphering is correct I'm five pounds done and 95 to go on kielbasa...

John

Tenpoint5

You gotta fill them casings up if you want to experience one blowing up. Yes after tasting the first batch it wont be long and you will be making another and it will be 10lbs. then you will get the big smoker done and it will be 50lbs vac sealed and in the freezer. Of course you could make some fresh sausages with the casings for grilling. I would suggest a 10lb batch of the fresh garlic sausage.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BigJohnT

Before I do a 10 lb batch I need a 12 lb bowl to mix it up in. It was dicey mixing 5 lbs in a 4 1/2 pound bowl  ;D

I'd like to find a mushroom swiss brat recipe. The ones from Swift Meat are delicious. I don't even care if the had mushrooms in the recipe. A pepper jack brat would be good too.

They look kinda lumpy in the pics... I'm thinking I need to fill them a bit more.

John

Tenpoint5

I would suggest picking up a meat lug at Sam's I think I got 2 of them for $10-15

When I make Brats I add 5lbs of cheese to a 25lb batch (makes about 110-117 Brats). I use Mozzarella most of the time but have tried Pepper Jack and your right it is good. I tried the mushroom and swiss but I used Portabella's and it tasted like dirt to me and I cleaned them twice just to make sure they was clean.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BigJohnT

Do you mix the meat in the meat lug or is that where the stuffed sausage goes? BTW, I googled meat lug so now I know what one looks like  ;D

Thanks
John

Tenpoint5

I mix the meat in the lug

BigJohnT

B&P has a 25lb lug for $8...

Is it suppose to take a long time to get to an IT of 152F for the Kielbasa? I have the cabinet at 165F atm.

John

smokeitall

I also use a couple meat lugs when I go over 5 lbs in a batch.  If you need me to pick some up for you from Sams let me know John.  I made 6 lbs of mushroom asiago today....packaged up about 2.5 lbs to bring down for gillin this week.  Also got some jerky done  ;D  Sorry to highjack your thread but here is a pic of the mushroom swiss. (figured it was ok to highjack your thread since I'm bringing a sample)  :)

Tenpoint5

Yes it takes forever to get there. When you get to 150 get your turkey roaster full of water and Ice so the water will be good and cold when you get to 152. Give it a quick dunk about 5 min then hang to bloom.

Nice looking 5lb batch there Scott

BigJohnT

Scott,

If you go by Sam's pick me up a lug or two and a cover if they have one. You can't hijack my thread cause your my friend... Are you going by Swiss before your next trip to swamp east Missouri?

Crumb, it's 9'pm and I'm only at 140 or so IT...

John

smokeitall

Sounds like a late night, might want to pop open another bottle.  I may be able to go to swiss this week, I will let you guys know.  I might go to Sams on Wednesday.

Tenpoint5

I always tell myself that it is in a plateau and it is just getting better by the minute. John theres nothing wrong with cutting off a taster when you pull it out of the Ice water bath.

BigJohnT

Well I made it. I don't know how I managed to stay awake but lesson learned put them kielbasa in the smoker before breakfast  8) I did let them bloom for an hour or two after cooling them down but can't remember cause it was too late.

Do you freeze them for long term storage?

Scott the power function in the PLC worked like a champ.

John

Tenpoint5

I do I vac seal then freeze.    How did you like the taste? I know you had a taste test

NePaSmoKer

When i do sausage like this i freeze for about 1.5 hrs then i vac seal so it dont compress the sausage.

nepas