Questions about OBS Add On's ***Added thermometer and foil bricks***

Started by Batman of BBQ, October 06, 2009, 07:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman of BBQ

Hello everyone, I'm not new to smoking meat, (with my old school fire box "side by side") but still consider myself an OBS rookie  ;D  I have had a few successful smokes with the OBS so far, mainly due to the vast amount of knowledge found on this forum!!!  You guys rock!

I have a couple of questions regarding my new chamber thermometer and foil wrapped bricks. 

#1 -  I'm getting the feeling the dial thermometer on the door is a tad miss leading. ??? So I went and got a digital thermometer.  Where is the best place to put the temp probe in the the smoke chamber to optimize the most accurate temperature readings?

#2 - Do the foil wrapped bricks actually help with temp recovery and temp stabilization?  What I mean is....enough to notice and are they worth a try?

thanks in advance for all your help everyone!

Don't want to be the best in the world, just the best in my neighborhood.

1 OBS, Nuff Said

classicrockgriller

Hiya again Batman, the probe for reading the temp of cabinet should be close to the meat you are smoking.
The bricks help. someone made a post and say he replaced his small bowl of water with a lrg disposiable roasting pan and started off with hot water...hope this helps.   CRG

Batman of BBQ

Right on CRG thanks for the input!  Close to the meat I'm smoking makes sense ;D  I have also switched up to the larger drip pan and hot water, I found that it helped some. 
Don't want to be the best in the world, just the best in my neighborhood.

1 OBS, Nuff Said

Quarlow

Hi batman. I have seen a pic of one member that put's a couple of paper clips on his second rack hanging underneath and then hangs his thermo probe on that. And yes the bricks help a lot. I put 2 in my smoker this weekend and the speed with which it recovered was very noticable.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

nickld

My brother is ordering some castable refractory cement to cast new fire bricks for his wood fired furnace. I'm thinking that, if he has any left over, I might cast some custom bricks for my OBS!

~Nick

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Quarlow on October 06, 2009, 07:34:15 PM
Hi batman. I have seen a pic of one member that put's a couple of paper clips on his second rack hanging underneath and then hangs his thermo probe on that. And yes the bricks help a lot. I put 2 in my smoker this weekend and the speed with which it recovered was very noticable.

Here's what I do with mine Q!

If you have the Maverick ET73, it comes with a hanger for the cabinet probe.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Quote from: nickld on October 06, 2009, 07:40:34 PM
My brother is ordering some castable refractory cement to cast new fire bricks for his wood fired furnace. I'm thinking that, if he has any left over, I might cast some custom bricks for my OBS!

~Nick

If you could cast the bricks to where you leave an oval for your water bowl that would be awesome.   CRG

ArnieM

I use two foil wrapped bricks - have to keep 'em clean.  :)  And, yes I do find they help to stabilize the temp, quite a bit.

I've used my wired probe dropped into the vent at about the same height as the door probe in the OBS.  I typically don't trust the spring-type thermometers.  I was really quite surprised to see they were within a few degrees.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 06, 2009, 07:44:30 PM

Hey Batman. I second what every one said regarding the heat recovery advantage of the foil wrapped brick. It sure helps. I do have a question for HS though. In my ET 73 manual, it says that the probe you have illustrated in this picture is the meat probe and the other shorter one is the tower probe. Since I am not sure I have the manual any more, did I read that wrong and have been using the probes for the wrong temps?

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 06, 2009, 10:59:14 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 06, 2009, 07:44:30 PM

Hey Batman. I second what every one said regarding the heat recovery advantage of the foil wrapped brick. It sure helps. I do have a question for HS though. In my ET 73 manual, it says that the probe you have illustrated in this picture is the meat probe and the other shorter one is the tower probe. Since I am not sure I have the manual any more, did I read that wrong and have been using the probes for the wrong temps?

HR

HR, you are using yours the correct way, the shorter one is the tower probe with the Maverik ET-73. I don't have that model so I have been using a regular meat probe with a Polder thermometer. instead.
HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

I use bricks most of the time. If I can keep my kids from unwrapping them...

I just dangle the probe where ever the lowest meat is.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakville smoker

The bricks do seem to work.  Finding ones small enough to fit in the cabinet without giving up a rack is a challenge.  Right now I have  a brick in the bottom of the cabinet and one in the top rack.  I cannot fit both on the floor of the cabinet.   I have also started making sure the water in the bowl is steaming hot as that seems to help as well.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

squirtthecat

I use a square cast iron Lodge skillet w/ a foil pan inside.   I can go about 6 hours between water refills.

oakville smoker

I am going to have to find me one of these puppies or something very similar here in the great white north.
I am sure all of these things have been put away but maybe an outdoors place like Bass Pro or LeBaron will have something hanging around.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

classicrockgriller