Jerky virgin

Started by KyNola, October 17, 2009, 07:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

First setback of the maiden voyage.  Took the meat out of the freezer after having been in for 18 hours.  Not frozen through. >:(
Jan says the error was leaving it in the pans.  Took them out of the pans and back into the freezer.  Hoping to still get this project done today. GRR!

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Might not want it frozen completely through Kynola. Will your slicer be able to cut it?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Chris,
My slicer should be able to go through it with little effort.  It is one of those 10 inch slicers from Weston that they had to take back from Cabela's due to a "time out" switch preventing it from running more than 20 minutes at a time.  They replaced the switches and then sold them online.  They were all brand new.  I think mine was $80.00.  At Cabela's they were retailing for something like $300.00 I think.  Somebody posted the info on here and I think various members here pretty much bought them all.  By the time I got to them the 12 inchers were already gone.

The meat cakes were soft enough that I was concerned that they might fall apart rather than slicing when going through the slicer.  Gonna check them in a couple of hours and hopefully give it another go.  More later.

Larry

NePaSmoKer

Larry

In my early early days of making GB jerky (before GB shooters were avail) I made a board with 2 stripas of wood nailed on each side 12" apart. The strips were 1/4" thick. I placed the GB between the strips, covered with plastic wrap and rolled with a wooden rolling pin to flatten the GB between the 2 strips of wood. This gave me a sheet of 1/4" thick GB that i then cut into strips to put in the dehydrator.  Your way of using your slicer to make into rounds will work too.

Shout at me if you need a hand.

nepas

KyNola

NePaS,
Thanks buddy.  Can't quite figure this out.  Everything else in the freezer is frozen rock solid but for some reason the GB is taking a long time to freeze.  Granted there is very little in the freezer and I have been told that a chest type freezer needs mass in it to work to its full potential.  I'm blaming it on that.  :)

KyNola

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on October 18, 2009, 02:33:36 PM
NePaS,
Thanks buddy.  Can't quite figure this out.  Everything else in the freezer is frozen rock solid but for some reason the GB is taking a long time to freeze.  Granted there is very little in the freezer and I have been told that a chest type freezer needs mass in it to work to its full potential.  I'm blaming it on that.  :)

KyNola

Your right. A full freezer works faster.

nepas

Quarlow

I know this won't help you now, but I used to put stacks of newspaper tied together and milk jugs full of water in the freezer when I had to much space. Since then I got a small upright and unplugged the old chest.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

Jerky is in the smoker!  Fighting a 48 degree ambient temp to maintain the 140-160 box temp. We'll get  there.

That Weston slicer went through those blocks like a hot knife through butter.

KyNola

HawkeyeSmokes

Glad to hear things are looking up for you Ky!
HawkeyeSmokes

KyNola

Thanks Hawkeye!  Man I hate it when a smoking project gets derailed.  It's coming back up to temp now.  Will just take a little longer than I had planned for.  Looks like I might not be at my best at work tomorrow from a little lack of sleep and an extra Coors Light to get me through the duration.

Today was not a total loss.  I have found a website where you watch a lot of sports programming for free so I got to see the Saints beat the Giants today. :D

In the words of those crazy Saints fans "WHO DAT?!"

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on October 18, 2009, 06:16:11 PM
  Will just take a little longer than I had planned for.  Looks like I might not be at my best at work tomorrow from a little lack of sleep and an extra Coors Light to get me through the duration.
KyNola

Just Blame it on being a Monday. Happy to see things are back on track.

KyNola

I always do CRG! ;)

How was the wedding and where are the pics of the father of the bride with the beautiful bride on his arm?

KyNola

Tenpoint5

I think that is next weekend Kynola
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 18, 2009, 06:52:43 PM
I think that is next weekend Kynola

Yep, 25th. Be glad when it's over. And I will post a few pics if there are any of me not bawling. lol

KyNola

Oops, sorry CRG.  Looking forward to the pics though.

KyNola