Jerky virgin

Started by KyNola, October 17, 2009, 07:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Wish me luck boys and girls.  I have never ventured off into jerky land before but thanks to my friend NePaS, today I begin the journey.  I have 6 pounds of 85/15 ground chuck in the frig.  I will mix in the cure/seasoning mix today and form the GB in an 8X8 pan and freeze.  Tomorrow, slice thin and into the BDS.

I'm going to do two different batches.  Hi-Mountain's hickory and HM cajun style.  Will report the results. :P :o :P

KyNola

Quarlow

Good luck KY. Ihave my OBS stuffed with jerky that I marinaded last weekend and did'nt get time to smoke/dry.Here is the smoker out in the cold and rain under the awning/gazebo whatever you call these things. note the awning is full of water.

I got the racks loaded.

And now we wait.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Don't worry Larry your gonna knock it out of the park!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

deb415611

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 17, 2009, 08:50:56 AM
Don't worry Larry your gonna knock it out of the park!!

Like 10.5 said. 

KyNola

Thank you all for your encouragement.  I asked Jan to come in to measure the dry mix and the water while I was going to mix it into the meat.  Next thing I knew I was standing out of the way while Jan went to town doing it all.  All I had to do was read the directions to her and she was off to the races.  I am SO keeping this woman. :-*

Two 3 pound "cakes" of ground beef all cured and seasoned up and tucked away in the freezer.  Tomorrow, out comes the slicer and jerky is on the way.

NePaS, thanks for your tutorial.  It makes the process seem very simple.  I'm one of those guys who just keeps saying "Man I hope I don't screw this up".

KyNola

Quarlow

Good luck Ky. I boneheaded my $20 worth of meat and it's trash. Check out "A bad start to the day" in general discussions.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Ky, I knoe I have wished you the best of luck, but deep down inside I know that you would not need it. Not with Jan on your side. My friends raved about her rub last Thursday.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

Looking good KN Now you just need a cajun jerky recipe and you are set. Nice job.

BigJohnT

Here is my favorite jerky recipe here.

John

smokeitall

Made 6.75 of that there recipe today, it's very good.  Just took the last of it out of the OBS.  Man I wished I would have installed my fan first, I hate rack rotations.
SIA

West Coast Kansan

Ky, results should be in shortly  ???  I have never done ground meat jerky butt should get after it someday.  looking forward to the report out...

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

NePaSmoKer

Ky

You will do great with the jerky.

nepas

Gizmo

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on October 17, 2009, 08:19:33 PM
Ky, results should be in shortly  ???  I have never done ground meat jerky butt should get after it someday.  looking forward to the report out...

If you need a jerky shooter give me a holler.  I have an extra one you can have.

KyNola,
I have 11 lbs of meat getting happy right now as well.  Doing the whole muscle.  I seem to switch off between ground and whole.  Just can't decide which is easier to do.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KevinG

Speaking of Jerky, has anyone ever tried to copy a recipe for those Jim Beam flavored Jerkys. I really liked the cracked pepper one, but haven't been able to duplicate it. I did find a site that claims the ingredients are Beef, water brown sugar, salt, black pepper, hydrolyzed soy protein,spices, garlic powder, white pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Jim Beam Bourbon, sodium erthorbate, and sodium nitrite. It unfortunately doesn't give quantities and doesn't say what the "spices" are. You don't really taste the Jim Beam, but the jerky is really good - but kind of expensive. I was hoping to create my own recipe.

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG