Whole Pig in a Cajun Microwave

Started by classicrockgriller, November 10, 2009, 02:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

We always cook a whole hog in our Cajun Microwave on Sat.

The hog is started at noon and we turn it before we leave for afternoon hunt .

It is done by 6 to 7 that nite.

Hog on the rack, all seasoned. we lay green onions, fresh thyme on the cavity before closing it.

Lite the charcoal and leave it alone.

Forgot the finish pics but this is the results of hungry hunters.

Sitting around the fire with FULL belies

ArnieM

Looks good CRG.  Boy, talk about some "ribs"  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

I dont know but I think theres enough laying in there to make a couple more sammies.

Looking like a good time.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on November 10, 2009, 03:01:43 PM
I dont know but I think theres enough laying in there to make a couple more sammies.

Looking like a good time.

I actually deboned the remaining meat and froze for a Gumbo later in the season.
Was two gallon bags of meat left.

CB

ohhhh some time next year - this same type of cook will show up in Martha Stewart or the NY Time food magazine, etc. As "The new way to cook" and then Williams & Sonoma will be selling cookbooks about it and the home built 'Cajun Microwave' will be sold at Neiman Marcus for thousands.

Yep, just wait till the foodies invent this - boys.
Happy Grilling!

classicrockgriller

CB, there is already a commerical unit out there and now they have them where they have a smoke unit attaches to it.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 10, 2009, 02:27:29 PM

Sitting around the fire with FULL belies

Yeah and I bet there aint one single LIE being told there!!!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

CB

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 10, 2009, 03:27:19 PM
CB, there is already a commerical unit out there and now they have them where they have a smoke unit attaches to it.

yeah I know what you are saying - but you know what I meant by that post.  For example - last year I spoke with my editor in NYC who is a perfectly good person that one and all would enjoy...then she told me all about pork bellyand pulled pork, in a tone of voice as if it had just been discovered and invented in NYC by the foodies. whew, cracked me up.

I so much enjoy just regular people and learning to appreciate little tricks and solutions that they have to prepare food - usually they are so darn good...and I really admire the basic ingenuity of real folks living and working in the real world.

the pig roast he posted is a perfect example of that .... and I could just see the folks at a cooking magazine get ahold of the same scenario and it wouldn't look like anything real world.
Happy Grilling!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: CB on November 10, 2009, 03:54:50 PM
.... and I could just see the folks at a cooking magazine get a hold of the same scenario and it wouldn't look like anything real world.
No kidding there wouldn't be any Farting, Lying, Belching, Beer Drinking or nuttin like in the real world!!!!! :D :D ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

That Cajun Micro has probably cooked 5 to 7 hogs a year for the last 16 to 17 yrs. Had to rebuild parts of it 5 yrs ago.

Is a hellofa cooker.

ArnieM

I know What you're saying CB.  Have a feature article on how one can actually make their own beans out of dried ones.  WOW!  Dried beans go to $6/pound.  How about ABTs?  There go the Jals to $12/pound.  

Maybe we can turn this around.  How about feature articles on using a BE or Bradley smoker?  Whoops, there goes the chicken, pork and brisket (already high) prices.

Where's that crummy gray squirrel I saw this morning?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 10, 2009, 04:05:52 PM
That Cajun Micro has probably cooked 5 to 7 hogs a year for the last 16 to 17 yrs. Had to rebuild parts of it 5 yrs ago.

Is a hellofa cooker.

Looks like a real bang for the buck vs the commercial ones:

http://www.lacajachina.com/category_s/1.htm

(not to dis their products at all - saw that one on the Food Network!)

classicrockgriller

That thing is kewl and you can add smoke to the meat you are cooking.

Thanks for the link STC, I had lost it.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 10, 2009, 05:12:59 PM
That thing is kewl and you can add smoke to the meat you are cooking.

Thanks for the link STC, I had lost it.

I've had that bookmarked for a couple years now.  (just in case I had a few hundred $$$ burning a hole in my pocket)

Then I ran across this site when I first got my OBS.  And then saw one of your earliest posts refer to a 'cajun microwave'. 

Had to Google that term!   Bingo bango - same thing. (albeit a bit more 'portable')