Help! First run and smoke does not seam to be filling the cabinet

Started by mbetz, January 01, 2010, 04:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbetz

This is my first run with the Bradley smoke generator attached to my propane smoker.  It has been running for about an hour now and the cabinet does not seam to be filling with smoke.  I seam to have a lot of smoke exiting around the smoke generator adaptor plate.  Inside the smoker cabinet I have a pan of liquid that is right below the opening for the smoke adaptor.  The cabinet has three vents on it two low and one on the top.  Below are some pictures of my set up.  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

HawkeyeSmokes

Is the top vent open on your propane smoker to create a updraft?

HawkeyeSmokes

mbetz

I have tried the top vent open between 1/4 and 1/2 way open with no change at either setting.  Should I close the bottom vents some near the burner so it will try and draw air from the smoke inlet?

Mark

HawkeyeSmokes

I think closing down the lower vents should help. It's sure worth a try.

I'm only guessing but it looks like you will only get smoke into the upper half of your smoker. If so, and I know it would be a lot of work, you could try lowering where you have the smoke generator attached to the smoker.
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

I have to admit, I am guessing as well but I would go with the idea of shutting the lower vent and forcing the air draw to come from the cold smoke box.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mbetz

I have closed down the lower vents.  So the burner should draw air from around the vents around its housing and thru the smoke generator adaptor box.  Well see if this works.

I was not to concerned about were the smoke tube was entering the box since all of the food would be above this point.  I guess I will figure it out the more I use it.  I was just hoping that this would have been a home run from the start based on other smoke generator adaptors I have seen in the forum.

If this does not work out I guess I can go to plan B and make an extension like Iceman did.  Here is the link to his thread.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4707.0

Mark

mbetz

I think with the lower vents closed it is helping pull air thru the smoke generator.  I guess the end product will tell.

One question I have is it normal to have a smoke leakage at the adaptor plate for the smoke generator?  Do I need to try and seal this off better?

Mark

HawkeyeSmokes

You shouldn't need to seal it Mark.

Do you have the heat on in your smoker?

It sounds like the draw is still a little weak.
HawkeyeSmokes

mbetz

I do have the heat on.  But on a day like this (6 deg. outside) and since the cooking box is uninsulated it is working hard to keep the temp up to 200 deg. inside.

I will keep working with it.  If I still have problems I am thinking about adding a fan before the PVC elbow to help pull the smoke into the cooking box.

Mark

KevinG

It looks like your unit is in a garage, if that's the case you're probably not getting any air flow over your top vent to help draw the smoke out. You need a cross wind  (or a fan) to act as a venturi and suck the smoke out.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

mbetz

Kevin, I currently have it outside.  The pictures were from the other day when I finished adapting the smoke generator to the cooking box.  When I place my hand over the top vent I can feel the up draft against the palm of my hand.

Mark

HawkeyeSmokes

A couple other ideas Mark.

Does your smoker have any openings on the bottom as is a gas smoker?

And does the door have a seal on it?

HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

Hmm - it seems that if you are not getting any leaking out anywhere, that maybe you might be expecting to see more smoke than is actually being generated. It doesn't really smoke like the inside of a burning building, it just kind of floats around in the chamber. Within a few seconds of opening the door my smoke will empty out and the cabinet will look like there is no smoke in there. Could that be what's happening?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

Close the bottom vents, open top vent and remove the liquid from the pan.

mbetz

HawkeyeSmokes - There is some openings on the bottom for the burner to draw air for the flame.  And the door does not have a seal.

Kevin - I might be expecting more smoke that what it is producing.  I was getting more smoke with my original set up with wood chips in the cast iron box that was over the burner.  The down side to my original set up was I had to open the door every hour to add more wood chips.  I wanted to go with this Bradley set up reduce my maintenance, keep from opening the door, and do cold smoking.

NePaSmoker - Why are you suggesting I remove the liquid from the pan?

Mark