Fresh 'Picnic' Ham Shoulder - Ideas?

Started by ArnieM, January 07, 2010, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I'll try to make it short.  My grocery has boneless pork but on sale this week for 1.49.  I'm going to get some.  Meanwhile, my wife went shopping and said "Look what I got for you!"  She got this bone-in picnic, about 8 pounds.  She was very excited.  I said "Oh $hit."  She said "What?"  I said "That's great!"

Now, what do I do with it?  Brine?  Cure?  Smoke?  Roast?  Any of the above?  I know it won't pull like butt.  Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

I'd cure it, smoke it  - Make an ArnieHam!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

The Picnic will pull or slice.  I would do them both the same way although you don't need to do them at the same time unless you want lots of pulled pork sandwiches.  
Dry rub and smoke.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

Arnie, 10.5 did a brine and smoke from a net ham that was awesome looking.

I smoked picnics and unlike a butt it doesn't pull that great but you can chop the rest and it was good.

Tenpoint5

Arnie,
Take the skin off that bad boy, inject it and brine it the same as I did in the home cured ham post. You will love it!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Another alternative is to make Cuban pork out of it. I have posted a recipe on this site somewhere, but have modified it to include not only brining, but injecting also. If you can't find it, I'll look for it later.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

10.5 - Thanks, I found the post you referenced.  Boy there's some serious time involved there!  I'll check out that book at Amazon.

Habs - Thanks.  I saw your cured ham recipe at susanminor.  I haven't looked for the Cuban pork yet.

As usual, I don't have all of the ingredients for the cure/brine.  I'm going to order up a bunch. 

It looks like I have time.

If you can read the label, the "Use by" date is May 14, 10.
-- Arnie

Ka Honu

Since you already have pulled pork, why not try roasting it Puerto Rican style?  Not outdoor cooking, but a great taste.  Good & easy recipe here or Google "recipe pernil."

ArnieM

Thanks for the suggestion and the link KH.  I think I'll give that a shot on Sunday. 

The high temps here are predicted at freezing or below for the foreseeable future.  I try to stay in the house.

That also gives me time to order up curing supplies for "the next one".
-- Arnie

FLBentRider

Quote from: ArnieM on January 08, 2010, 07:45:45 AM
If you can read the label, the "Use by" date is May 14, 10.

If that is fresh pork I find that VERY difficult to believe.

I think the date on the label machine was off or something.

I can't get fresh pork to last more than a week around here.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 08, 2010, 08:40:14 AMIf that is fresh pork I find that VERY difficult to believe.

I think the cryovac packaging may be what allows the extended shelf life.

KyNola

That's what I thought too FLBR.  That date has to be wrong if that is fresh pig.

KyNola

oakville smoker

Sad but true, I know sift through the supermarket ads looking for meat sales
I saw some shoulder as low as 89 cents a pound and some beef at 2 99 a pound
I did see the New York cuts and the butts as well
I even saw that Fortinos has sausage and salami making supplies as well as curing salts
They also indicate they have casings.  I am going to have to swing by

At 89 cents a pund i will cut the butt off teh leg and brine a picnic ham or even roast it
How can you go wrong?
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

FLBentRider

Quote from: Ka Honu on January 08, 2010, 08:52:34 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on January 08, 2010, 08:40:14 AMIf that is fresh pork I find that VERY difficult to believe.

I think the cryovac packaging may be what allows the extended shelf life.

I've opened cryovac'd pork loins from Sams that are within the date and they were BAD.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

FLB I'm with you it has been brined and or injected with something to add some shelf life. The label does say contains no artificial ingredients and no more than... The rest is covered by the store label so it has been enhanced in some way.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!