2nd burner need auto tune PID?

Started by lumpy, January 20, 2010, 05:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

If I install a 2nd burner in my BDS do I need to auto-tune up my Auber PID?

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Lumpy

HawkeyeSmokes

I did with mine.

It helped quite a bit.
HawkeyeSmokes

MPTubbs

Auto-tune??

After installing my 2nd element both were glowing red hot when I fired it up......all the way to 325* where I had the PID set to.

Is there something I'm missing?
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: MPTubbs on January 20, 2010, 05:50:41 PM
Auto-tune??

After installing my 2nd element both were glowing red hot when I fired it up......all the way to 325* where I had the PID set to.

Running the Auto-tune on the Auber can reduce the temperature variations from the set point. Before I ran it I have +/- 5 deg and after +/- 2 deg. Most of the time +/- 1 deg.
HawkeyeSmokes

MPTubbs

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on January 20, 2010, 05:54:14 PM
Auto-tune??

Running the Auto-tune on the Auber can reduce the temperature variations from the set point. Before I ran it I have +/- 5 deg and after +/- 2 deg. Most of the time +/- 1 deg.

Auto tune on the  instruction CD?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: MPTubbs on January 20, 2010, 06:15:44 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on January 20, 2010, 05:54:14 PM
Auto-tune??

Auto tune on the  instruction CD?

Yes, page 8. I would warm the smoker up to your planned smoking temp and then run it.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Next time you cook and the Auber is hooked up and you are cooking at the temp you have set on the Auber, then that is the time to Auto-tune.

classicrockgriller

MPTubbs

Got it!

I'll do that on my next smoke.

pensrock

I would do an autotune definitely. You just doubled the heating capacity so it should be re-tuned. I would put something inside to simulate a load then set it for 220 or so, allow it to get to 220 then do the tuning. Maybe twenty to thirty pounds or so should be enough. I picked 220 because that is close to where the majority of smoking/cooking is done in a Bradley.

classicrockgriller

This is from toker: Do this after you are within 10* of your desired cooking temp.

Press and hold SET key for 4 seconds until LED display "LCK" on the left window, then release the SET key. The display on the right window will show "0". To get into parameters setting mode, you need to key in the pass code. Use "+" and "-"keys to adjust the display to 166 (which is the pass code) and press SET

You need to change the 0 for 1 Auto-tune function. Set AT to 1 then exit the menu. The display will start to flash alternately between AT and the current temperature, which indicates auto-tuning is in progress. When the display stops flashing, the auto-tuning is finished.

Don't worry it will take up to 30 minutes to process.

Toker

Sorry i might be a little bit late on this one, just to mention that the parameter key (166 number) could be diferent depending of your pid. This number is fo the dual probes only and maybe for the dual probes with 2 relay. For the single probe one i have no idea sorry.

MPTubbs

I have the single probe model.

I'll just plug in the CD and see what it has to say about the whole thing.

Thanks toker.

Toker

When you'll know and if it's diferent could you pls post it the how to get into parameters setting mode. Thx.

Waltz

Just checked on my single probe manual and the code it states is also 166 so it looks like it applies to them all.

Waltz