Hockey

Started by Caneyscud, February 22, 2010, 05:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Ahemmmm.  Any Canadians out there......ummmmm........ahem.......see a hockey game yesterday?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

I heard something or read something about there being a Hockey Game yesterday as well Caney. I figured our Canadian brothers would tell us more about it. Something about HOME ICE and HOME CROWD I didn't catch it all.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RAF128

It's only one game ;).   More games to come and then the playoffs.   The gold medal game is the one that counts.    Little tougher road for us by this team is coming together.  If I remember correctly, just under 2 months ago the world juniors were held right here in my home city.    We beat the American team in the round robin game but ended up losing the final :-\.   So it's not over 'till the fat lady sings.    There are a few other teams out there too.   Some good hockey.    Oh, by the way there's also women's hockey and were right up there too and the toughest challenge is the American team.    Did I mention curling.    Seems we beat up on the American team in men's and women's.   

Still 1 week of Olympics to go.    Lots of jubilation and heart break :D left

Tenpoint5

Quote from: RAF128 on February 22, 2010, 07:19:37 AM
    Did I mention curling.    Seems we beat up on the American team in men's and women's.   
Who CARES who won curling!! I was just watching all the good looking ladies!!! ;D Tell me I'm wrong and you weren't doing the same thing. Still can't figure out how sliding a rock on the ice is a sport. Unless your are checking the ice to see if it's safe to walk on to go Ice Fishing

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 22, 2010, 07:54:50 AM
Quote from: RAF128 on February 22, 2010, 07:19:37 AM
   Did I mention curling.    Seems we beat up on the American team in men's and women's.    
Still can't figure out how sliding a rock on the ice is a sport. Unless your are checking the ice to see if it's safe to walk on to go Ice Fishing

And just think how handy if would be if you could mount a fish finder on one as well as a RC controlled airplane engine for control - that would be handy.

Although after relatively recently having taken up Bocce, learning to curl is intriguing.  We actually have a league or two way down here in Nashvegas.  I might have to go check them out.  As long as the ice is thick enough, I guess I wouldn't have to lose weight and get fit to participate.  Lets just say I'm not built to play basketball or run the marathon!

Curious,  yep, curious.........only one Canadian on this morning!   

oakville smoker

As a curler I have to weigh in on this
Curling is a game of strategy, a lot like a game of chess on ice
It does require physical strength, coordination and balance
The sweeping you see melts the ice under the brooms and does affect how far the rock slides and how far it curls one way or the other
As a guy who fell on one those handles and drove the small of his back into the handle, I can tell you that you can get hurt playing it
Its fun and one of those things you appreciate if you play but is difficult to understand if you are a casual observer

I find some of these events obscure.  My parents would never let me going skiing with a rifle when I was a kid so I have trouble with the biathalon
There is something wrong about 2 guys laying on top of each other in tight spandex sliding on ice on a sled or maybe its just me
Dancing on ice?  Hmmm   At least the guy gets to look up his partners skirt assuming its the guy lifting the girl but the world has changed     :o
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

RAF128

Biathalon.    Now there's a sport that take endurance.   Can you imagine cross country skiing for miles as fast as you can go, then grabbing you rifle and being able to slow your heart rate and breathing so you can hold a rifle steady enough to hit a small target?    They're finely tuned athletes IMO.      It would like sprinting a couple of hundred yards  and then trying to shoot and hit a bullseye on a target.   I'm sure those hunters and shooter out there could appreciate how difficult it would be.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: RAF128 on February 22, 2010, 09:38:59 AM
Biathalon.    Now there's a sport that take endurance.   Can you imagine cross country skiing for miles as fast as you can go, then grabbing you rifle and being able to slow your heart rate and breathing so you can hold a rifle steady enough to hit a small target?    They're finely tuned athletes IMO.      It would like sprinting a couple of hundred yards  and then trying to shoot and hit a bullseye on a target.   I'm sure those hunters and shooter out there could appreciate how difficult it would be.
I don't need to X-country ski to get winded when trying to shoot. Just walking up and down some of the river bottoms around here will do that. But you are correct they are in shape.

oakville smoker

But ultimatley is this about fitness level or athletic prowess ?
I used to be a pretty good shot and have the awards to substantiate it
I wonder what I could hit today with aged eyes
Never mind if I just had a pulled piggy sandwhich and a couple of barley sandwhiches as well   LOL

I think I know the answer to that question ......

Put the gun down please sir, please put the gun down    ::)
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

tsquared

QuoteAhemmmm.  Any Canadians out there......ummmmm........ahem.......see a hockey game yesterday?
You got us Caneyscud. Despite what anybody says, most Canadians would trade in all our other medals to win the gold in hockey. US played a good game yesterday and scored when they needed to. Brodeur (Canada's goalie) is touted to be one of the best goalie's of all time, so I don't know who it was that was wearing his jersey and equipment last night. :( At least one of those goals was his fault.--The one where he decided to play baseball and whacked the puck right to the US player, who scored! I started to get worried when Canada went to a shoot out to win a game--with Switzerland!!
T2
BTW, Caney(on a cheerier note): I took delivery on a Hobie Revolution kayak a week ago and am getting it set up for the fishing season!

Caneyscud

TS - not meaning to rub it in.  If US doesn't win the gold - I hope you guys do.  I was fascinated with the game and instead of a wow once a period or so, I was saying wow, pretty much constantly. - There was some talent out there on the ice.  Miller was a surprise for me.  I thought Brodeur played a great game.  A few screened shots and misdirects and a few had eyes for the only hole there was.  I chock up games like that - to "It just wasn't our day to win"  Well except for that blast to  the shortstop!  But then we had to suffer through a couple of years of Evel Knievel Vokoun  . 

A Hobie Revolution - WoW!!!  Great choice and Congrats.  Man, that is a sweet boat.  Did you get the drive?   If you did, you have to tell me about it - I don't know anyone who has the drive.    Coincidence you getting your Hobie, I was just looking last night at what looks like a new model of the ProAngler.  However, with as much water going down our rivers right now, I think a playboat would be more appropriate! 

azamuner73

They should have went with Luongo.  Instead they felt obligated to go with Brodeur, who is by no means a slouch but is not at the peak of his game anymore.

You have to give it to Miller for playing like a man possessed in nets for the Americans.

tsquared

QuoteA Hobie Revolution - WoW!!!  Great choice and Congrats.  Man, that is a sweet boat.  Did you get the drive?   If you did, you have to tell me about it - I don't know anyone who has the drive.    Coincidence you getting your Hobie, I was just looking last night at what looks like a new model of the ProAngler.  However, with as much water going down our rivers right now, I think a playboat would be more appropriate!
I did get the drive, with upgraded turbo fins. I'm having a ball getting it set up for the fishing season. Equipment so far: hand held 5W vhf, Lowrance colour ifinder(already had the chart chip for my area for the chartplotter on my power boat) and a Lowrance fishfinder left over from my power boat, sail and hobie outrigger kit and sail rudder. I took it out for an inaugaral run on Friday at my local beach--works great--moves like stink with the mirage drive and your hands are free for fishin.
T2

Quarlow

AHEM.... HELLO.... AAAHEM. CANADA vs GERMANY 8 to 2 umm yup uhuh. We're coming around.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Hope to see you in the final round for a rematch