hot smoke hard boiled eggs?

Started by bears fan, May 07, 2010, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

So I cold smoked hard boiled eggs and they turned out good.  What would happen if you smoked them in about 150 degrees?  The reason I ask is I have some jerky I want to make as well and thought I could maybe do both at the same time and save some pucks. 

RAF128

If you're talking about previously boiled eggs I don't see any harm in smoking them at 150.   If they're not already cooked they won't be at that temp.

bears fan

They will already be hard boiled.  I was just wondering if there was any reason why I could hot smoke them.  I couldn't think of any reason why either.

Habanero Smoker

They might get a little rubbery in texture. I know if you over cook hard boiled eggs you increase the sulfur taste, and a greenish layer forms over the yoke, but I'm not sure if this can happen to already cooked eggs that are reheated. Other then that they should be fine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Steam the eggs in a steamer. Peel and cold smoke for 40 mins.

Ketch22

It works well put mine in when I started the smoke then when the smoke was done removed them real good

classicrockgriller

My wifie made scallop potatoes tonite with smoked Monterey Jack Cheese.

They were delicious!

classicrockgriller

I ran across this on the internet sometime ago and found it on my desktop.

Brined Eggs

I usually put six peeled eggs in a wide mouth quart jar. I am sure that for a larger batch, you can use an empty ice cream pail. [If you do not like ice cream, you can probably find someone to volunteer to eat it for you.] Once you have the eggs in the jar, you will need to mix your brine. The brine is simple. You will need the following ingredients.

2 Tablespoons Liquid Smoke, 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce,1 Tablespoon sugar and 1 cup of Water. That is it. You will add them together in a medium pan, bring to a boil and pour into the jar with the eggs. You will put them in your refrigerator or in a cool spot for 3 days. They; the 'smoked eggs' are then ready to slice and eat. Enjoy!

This is not my recipe and I have not tryed it.

bears fan

My tested recipe is as follows and is excellent:
1 1/2 cups of vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pickling spice

Boil ingredients for 5 minutes and then pour over hard boiled eggs.  These are excellent on their own; however, I cold smoke the eggs for 40 minutes before pouring this over them which makes them even more fantastic.  I have had nothing but compliments.

Habanero Smoker

Sounds good. I love pickled eggs. If you like a little zing, here is a recipe you may want to try on your next batch.

Pickled Eggs

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Some smoked pickled eggs to look at while you write the recipes down  ;D

Stuffed smoked egg fatty

Steaming the eggs

smoke ready

pickled

DarqMan

NePa, what are those eggs wrapped in?  Pork sausage?  They look excellent.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: DarqMan on May 13, 2010, 05:38:43 PM

GB fatty

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 13, 2010, 06:04:38 PM

GB fatty

Scotch eggs!  Very nice...

DarqMan

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 13, 2010, 06:04:38 PM

GB fatty

Thanks, I'll add those to my list of "new things to try".
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.