Yet another big smoker....

Started by Mr Walleye, May 22, 2010, 12:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnie1

Looks good, thanks for the info , will definitely be a future project for me as my Digi Q went a little wacky the other day and had to revert to my PID which is just Basic

Mr Walleye

Carnie

I had to run down to the office today so I emailed the files to myself at home while I was there. Shoot me your email address and I will email you the MS Word document I made.

I trying to figure out a way to convert it to a jpeg file so I can post it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

carnie1

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 27, 2011, 12:25:53 PM
Carnie

I had to run down to the office today so I emailed the files to myself at home while I was there. Shoot me your email address and I will email you the MS Word document I made.

Mike

Try this firsthttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080801054403AAWxdnm  I sent PM with email too

Mr Walleye

Thanks Tony, I'll give that a shot. I also sent it to you via email.

Mike

Mr Walleye

Tony (Carnie1) converted my word document into an image file so I could post it here.

I don't know why it didn't seem to want to work for me but Tony had it cased anyway.

Thanks again Tony.

So here are the 30 program steps that I use on my pid that I have built into my big smoker. The times and temps could be changed to anything. This just happens to be the numbers that I used.

Mike

pfowl01

Thanks for sharing that mike!!! ;D

Mr Walleye

No problem Paul. It really can be programmed a lot of different ways for sure.

Mike

pikeman_95

Quote from: carnie1 on March 30, 2011, 12:23:29 PM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 27, 2011, 12:25:53 PM
Carnie

Mike

Try this firsthttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080801054403AAWxdnm  I sent PM with email too

Thanks Tony
I had been trying to find a way to post a document and you answered my problem.

KC

weedenb

Just wanted to say thanks to various posters and share my efforts. Although I've been lurking all the threads for several years Mr Walleye's is the closest to the subject which is a Bradley smoke generator in a homemade smoker with PID control. Pretty much the same idea as he layed out, Auber SYL-2352 and SYL-1512 PID's. I've played around with this concept for years and couldn't come up with a better design. About the only new thing I added is run the Bradley through the SYL-2352's auxiliary alarm contacts so you can start and stop the smoke generator as part of the program.

Only advice I have to others is go ahead and do the extra effort to set it up for 240 volt, gives you lots more options. The PID's are just fine with that and it lets you use standard stove parts for your heating elements. I just have a single 8" cooktop element which heats up 36"x36"x72" smoker real easy at about 11 amps.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I figure this out since it appears I need a hosting site for images this board?

Thanks and good smoking,

Robert..............

Mr Walleye

Hi  Robert and welcome to the forum.

You do have to have a host for your pictures. I use photobucket but there are several others that work fine. I look forward to having a look at your setup.

Here's a write up on posting pictures.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=768#post768

Mike

weedenb

Thanks for the info Mike, here are some photos:

And of course the Kummok Salmon test:

Robert................

Quarlow

Nice project Weed, sweet smoker.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Mr Walleye

Great looking smoker Robert!

Oh... and the Kummok Salmon doesn't look to shabby either! Nice job!  ;)

Mike

Keymaster

Thats a super looking smoker and looks well planned out :o

weedenb

Thanks everyone for the complements, too busy lately to reply, the spring kings are running!

Just looking for some more opinions if anyone has any.

Smoker is working great for its primary purpose as a salmon smoker, with the PID's I can load it up in the morning push a button and everything turns out great. I was experimenting today with some other stuff and was wondering if anyone has any comments. Did some loin bacon and cranked it up to 200F which worked just fine, curious if anyone has done a wood chambered smoker much above this? I have the whole thing insulated with +2in and a tight fitting door so it came right up to temp and held it with no problems (~ 1 degree/minute on the ramp). Alot of the recipes I've read for various cured meats have 225F listed as the smoking temp, is this something I should shoot for or is my 200F with very good time and temp control okay?  I'm not looking for smoke cooking as I have several grills on the front deck which will do this just fine but some recipes are in the middle? Basic question is who has done a wood chambered smoker above 200F and what was the result? I  have a 2 - PID setup rigged in fail safe mode so everything will shutoff at the set high temp.

Some photo's :

Thanks,
Robert............